Tree suggestions for my “pot” please

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BonsaiNaga13 i thought about building feet, but then I liked my screws where wood meets metal, and they are galvanised so it should be fine.
I get what you say about pliers too, never thought of the direction of wood grain. Which way does it go on a coconut?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
L
@BonsaiNaga13 i thought about building feet, but then I liked my screws where wood meets metal, and they are galvanised so it should be fine.
I get what you say about pliers too, never thought of the direction of wood grain. Which way does it go on a coconut?
Lol they just kinda split cuz of how thin they are, I'd use a dremel on one if I had a dremel. Honestly I'd try a ficus in a coconut. Idk if coconuts could survive overwintering in the ground

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pliers might split it. A saw and sand paper should be fine.
I might try it with one in winter. That's not an ordinary wood, it's very hard and created from woody fibers. I think breaking off very small triangular pieces with pliers, bit by bit, could work.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What about a dremel? I use one to trim back my dogs nails. To bring the opening down and less perfect. Shoot you could make it a crescent shape for which ones do plant cascading trees.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I might try it with one in winter. That's not an ordinary wood, it's very hard and created from woody fibers. I think breaking off very small triangular pieces with pliers, bit by bit, could work.
Try just keep a few backup coconuts cuz they split easy. It's not really a wood it's s nut shell

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Try just keep a few backup coconuts cuz they split easy. It's not really a wood it's s nut shell
Growing up in Hawaii I have a bit of experience with coconuts. There are dozens of pix tourists took of me in the 70s-80s sitting on the beach holding a coconut between my feet ripping it open.
I would be quite careful using pliers as it WILL want to split, probably in the worst possible direction. And I would recommend eye protection. A dremmel or even a round file would be my choice.

On a side note my kid and I want to use a spam can as a bonsai pot (don't ask). Schefflera "Hawaiian Umbrella" is an obvious choice, but we have not found the right one yet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Growing up in Hawaii I have a bit of experience with coconuts. There are dozens of pix tourists took of me in the 70s-80s sitting on the beach holding a coconut between my feet ripping it open.
I would be quite careful using pliers as it WILL want to split, probably in the worst possible direction. And I would recommend eye protection. A dremmel or even a round file would be my choice.

On a side note my kid and I want to use a spam can as a bonsai pot (don't ask). Schefflera "Hawaiian Umbrella" is an obvious choice, but we have not found the right one yet.
? Quirky pun no doubt. Good one!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I lightly dabbled in the idea of having a little pine tree in a coconut, which then got me obsessed with finding information or design ideas for something tiny.
All the pictures and articles I found online had super thick, almost sumo style trees, but I was determined to find something that’s gonna suit my situation (no field/ground growth, semi nomadic, tiny balcony, whatever).
https://blog.dallasbonsai.com/japanese-black-pine-progressions/

So I found a similar twisty seedling on the web and it’s only a little over 3 murican dhalurs. Not cascading like the original screenshot, but it could be if I wanted, or just keep it as a twisty little informal upright

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s here, and it’s incredibly tiny, but that’s good. The cascading one in the picture was sold out, so I picked a little twisty one.
I haven’t had time to get cutting tools to make the hole in the coconut bigger, but luckily the tree came in a little container. So it will just have to sit there until I can buy tools. Otherwise I must just choose a planting angle.
I managed to snap a quick 360 before it got dark:
A53E7585-8C90-454B-A68C-D5CE5D43C146.jpegEB29996B-605C-4D5B-9138-EA0D1DD141EB.jpegD7D9B22C-1652-4428-9B1B-3BA70372D7E0.jpeg20B54FA6-4443-4839-AE79-F2C8BB9338CA.jpeg
Just a little something to put on my desk when I study at night, then back outside in the daytime when I’m at university.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great
Creative nice!
As plumber that little saw is my mosth used saw lol

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy is already gearing up for spring...

Attachments

• D9E4B0A2-2C26-443E-BD67-305EB17B1FEB.jpeg
    D9E4B0A2-2C26-443E-BD67-305EB17B1FEB.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 81135D2E-7A36-4D94-857E-7374E7FDBA05.jpeg
    81135D2E-7A36-4D94-857E-7374E7FDBA05.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 8

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can still be Cascade. Change of planted angle to start, next wire. No Worries;). May have to get Coconut now:oops:.

Top Bottom