Pseudocydonia, Chinese Quince

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great job. And the pot has a "Chinese feel" that suits the tree perfectly IMO.
Thanks, the photo really flattens it out. It has a lot of movement in the trunk and branches. I’m still not crazy about the bowed look in the first right branch, but for just a few years into branch development, I’m happy with the progress.
2CA523E1-D94E-4682-9D72-E02FEE2E487D.jpeg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! And I don’t have leaves yet on any of my trees!!! ???.

I’ve got about 40 Chinese quince seedlings started from seeds that @William N. Valavanis gave me straight outta the fruit when I took his beginners classes in 2017. Looking forward to developing them. This thread gives me something to look forward to!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Haircut time, trimmed back to 1-2 nodes. When it buds again, I’ll wire the resulting growth while it’s still green. I’m hitting it hard with that granular Cleary’s 3366(?), and Mancozeb to prevent CA rust. So far, so good...
29F746C9-4F8A-40C0-A2B5-038CB3D5F64F.jpeg F0AA3C7E-BC41-4BC8-A493-568FD4BB619E.jpeg

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Haircut time, trimmed back to 1-2 nodes. When it buds again, I’ll wire the resulting growth while it’s still green. I’m hitting it hard with that granular Cleary’s 3366(?), and Mancozeb to prevent CA rust. So far, so good...
View attachment 233913 View attachment 233912
Brian, how often are you hitting it with Mancozeb? I'm mainly asking for a black pine that had needle cast on the needles I pulled last fall and is extending candles now

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, how often are you hitting it with Mancozeb? I'm mainly asking for a black pine that had needle cast on the needles I pulled last fall and is extending candles now
I try to hit them every 3-4 weeks.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still bummed out about killing mine. Still trying to figure it out and stay on the lookout for a nice piece. @Don Blackmond had some nice shorty's awhile back, I should have scooped them up. But I still had mine....oh well....:(

Your making really great progress in a relatively short time. I didn't have great results producing secondary branching over the 4-5 years I was working with them. The bark here is really showing some nice characteristics of the Chinese Quince. Horts in shorts my man!!!o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't hold your breath waiting for bloom lol. It's coming along nicely though. Bark peeling is the best part!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I love this tree, you've done a great job, but don't you feel it's too triangular? Is it the shape you have in mind or are you still working on it to give it a more rounded canopy?

Top Bottom