Quercus rubra for bonsai?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have an oak species here, which is referred to as "American Oak". Looking it up under that name brings me to "Quercus rubra". In the forest they grow fast, trunk up quickly and has huge leaves with points rather than the round lobes I know from oar native oaks.

I always held them as unsuitable for bonsai because of the large leaves. However, I was recently in a forest and came across a huge field of youngsters, annually eaten by deer made me rethink. Online I find some examples of what seem to be Quercus rubra bonsai.

Anybody here have experience with them? How small do the leaves get? Any thoughts on their suitability?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally have 3 rubra 2013 seedlings training in pots;). By defoliating after harden off have got 1/2 reduction in leaves, added ramification. Only early training so far.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We have an oak species here, which is referred to as "American Oak". Looking it up under that name brings me to "Quercus rubra".
Unless you have the species name, the term "red oak" can be used to describe any of a large number of species in the American red oak group.

Do you have a photo of a leaf? It might not even be a red oak at all. "American oak" is such a broad term.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have two English Oaks and a Bur Oak, but they're sticks currently.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quercus rubra is the scientific name of the American oak species that is introduced widely in European forests. In the US it's the Northern Red Oak, in Europe it's simply called American Oak.

They are quite coarse but if you have a tree that has some work done by deer why not give it a try? It probably is more suitable for larger bonsai but could work well.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also have Quercus Palustris 'Green Dwarf' that has small leaves.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you have the species name, the term "red oak" can be used to describe any of a large number of species in the American red oak group.

Do you have a photo of a leaf? It might not even be a red oak at all. "American oak" is such a broad term.
True. Wide term. But in all forestry documentation I can find, the tree the Dutch refer to as American Oak is Q Rubra.
No pictures at all :)

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We have an oak species here, which is referred to as "American Oak". Looking it up under that name brings me to "Quercus rubra". In the forest they grow fast, trunk up quickly and has huge leaves with points rather than the round lobes I know from oar native oaks.

I always held them as unsuitable for bonsai because of the large leaves. However, I was recently in a forest and came across a huge field of youngsters, annually eaten by deer made me rethink. Online I find some examples of what seem to be Quercus rubra bonsai.

Anybody here have experience with them? How small do the leaves get? Any thoughts on their suitability?
I've been growing a Q. rubra for more than five years. I will keep at it, not because it has any potential to become a bonsai. The leave are too big and it's awfully slow growing. Honestly, I keep it for purely sentimental reasons as it's the dominant species on the farm where I was raised.
However, there's a very short time in the spring, when the small, growing leaves are just the right size and the shape of the leaf margins compliment the shape of the branches, I can dream of the past and owning a perfect bonsai...
I keep promising myself to capture that tree at that moment with photos. So far, it's been more of the image it brings to mind and my memories,

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In the six year timespan I had to remove them from a gravel parking lot, I haven't seen a single one with tiny leaves. But they had plenty of room! So if you restrict the roots, something good might happen.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’ve had less than great results from my red oaks. They don’t cooperate with my pruning plans, but I think you could pull it off!
Oh and that brilliant fall color!92566654-E371-4B28-BA9D-94BD8B2E5C38.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
True. Wide term. But in all forestry documentation I can find, the tree the Dutch refer to as American Oak is Q Rubra.
No pictures at all :)
I have four different species of red oaks just in my yard :)

To make things even more confusing, the American "Black Oak" is in the red oak group :) Pin oaks, bur oaks, bear oaks, coast live oaks... they are all red oaks.

Of course, my preference is for white oaks because they have rounded lobes and often smaller leaves :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have four different species of red oaks just in my yard :)
As said.. Documentation indicates that the tree species in the Netherlands referred to as Amerikaanse Eik / American oak is Quercus rubra. I did not start off from "American Red oaks" :). It could very well be that multiple species have been planten, but different sources all indicate the same species. 🤷‍♂️

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So that would make 4 inch leaves after defoliation or so?
Or some less😁. More ramification helps some.
I’ve had less than great results from my red oaks. They don’t cooperate with my pruning plans, but I think you could pull it off!
Oh and that brilliant fall color!View attachment 414287
Consider cut back to twin left limbs for trunk movement unless keeping upper tree as sacrifice. Even here leaf color so good🥰.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As said.. Documentation indicates that the tree species in the Netherlands referred to as Amerikaanse Eik / American oak is Quercus rubra. I did not start off from "American Red oaks" :). It could very well be that multiple species have been planten, but different sources all indicate the same species. 🤷‍♂️
I'm sorry... I didn't mean to suggest that I knew better about what tree you had. Sometimes I get lost in my own mind :)

Quercus rubrum means "red oak" in Latin... so I went down a red oak rabbit hole :)

Top Bottom