Quercus Rubra (Northern Red Oak) #1

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful leaves nice growth. Mine just hardened off first growth. Begining to wonder if guess of species was correct:rolleyes:? Went out with flashlight and checked full sized leaves on biggest one. Now doubt original guesstimation of variety. Possible could have Bear or other Oak mixed in but still pretty tree;).

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, im letting these leaves harden and then ill check against the audubon guide to see which match. I think Red Oak is correct.. it might be a hybrid but Im going with Red.

Leaves are coming in nice and there are more shoots growing as well. Going to prune off the part of the tree above the split now, since I dont want that to be part of the finap design.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree this morning threw a low bud that looks healthy. Gives me something to chop back to potentially or at least an early branch to begin development on low if I leave the rest of the trunk as is.

20190703_090904.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree this morning threw a low bud that looks healthy. Gives me something to chop back to potentially or at least an early branch to begin development on low if I leave the rest of the trunk as is.

View attachment 250032

YES!:cool: Doing some photo documenting(film)of current work. Will post results as pics developed;)including pic of leaves.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some color showing now on this tree. Pics from tonight so sorry about the lighting. Will post some more when the tree is in full color in a few days hopefully. Really like the colors coming out on this one. I also posted a longer more detailed history on my personal website for this tree.

2019.10.05 - A.jpg
Full tree. Stupidly did not take exact front picture. The tree should be rotated clockwise slightly.

2019.10.05 - B.jpg
Close up of some of the color on the bigger leaves.

2019.10.05 - C.jpg
Even these smaller leaves are getting some nice red on their edges now. Can't wait to see how they look in full color.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year pics before going in the ground for the winter:

Front:
20191108_195107.jpg

From right:
20191108_195119.jpg

From back:
20191108_195138.jpg

From left:
20191108_195149.jpg

Im liking the left view as a possible front at next repot, but it means my low branch may need to be removed. Turning it a little bit further is also nice.

Trunk: .65"
Height: 16"
Training: 1yr

Thoughts. This may be pin oak closer i look at it.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you taken a look at the nebari or done any root work on this? That may help you identify the front that you like best.

As noted, oaks are pretty notorious for being difficult to truly identify, because the various species hybridize so easily. Because of this, In the timber industry, they categorize everything as "red oak" (pointed lobes) or "white oak" (rounded lobes). Of course, this simplification is also because generally, the lumber from all red species is functionally the same, as is the wood from all white species. I'd feel pretty confident calling yours Q. rubra.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only root work was at collection. Not much to talk about. Im going to repot next spring and chase the root plane up a bit. It had a single long tap root. Hoping to see some better roots forming on it.

Yeah. Sticking with the n. Red oak categorization at moment. I have pin oak trees all around, as well as red, so thats why i think it may be pin. Ill be starting some pin oak this year so we'll see differences.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple pictures of current status. Looking healthy and happy.

The branches are all healthy with reddish twigging.
20200125_153426.jpg

Close up of lower trunk. Depending on what happens, I may be cutting back drastically next year.
20200125_153444.jpg

There are a couple well placed buds on the lower portion of trunk. May be able to decide on new front and eliminate weird kink in this tree which is the biggest flaw at moment.
20200125_153506.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Leo. Will see what happens this year with those low buds. Figure I'll cut it back in June after spring budding. Not sure if I'll cut back all the way to the kink yet or not.

Greenfields

Sapling
Reaction score
Is the kink Leo is on about the bend before it splits into the two main branches? Just for my own learning with it survive such a cut back and also would it only survive this as there is a lower branch or would it survive with the lower branch anyway?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, thats the kink.

It should survive. Oaks are pretty resiliant to pruning, but i would wait til mid summer to prune after seeing the growth lower down and how vigorous the tree is growing.

Deciduous usually can be chopped back at proper times per specific species without concern for the tree dying. This is different than coniferous trees. Research your species and see what has worked for others before trying it on your own tree or have a test tree of the same type to check reactions on.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was walking by tree today and saw this as potential front also. It minimizes the kink, as in this orientation, the kink angles towards the viewer. I would cut the upper right side off... still feels too straight though down lower... idk. Buds arent quite yet at the point where I would repot. Needs another week or so I think. I want to chase the tape root up another inch or two if possible.

20200329_132139.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything similar, but I would be cutting it back to that lowest branch now, not be looking for a front.

I know how unbelievably difficult a thing it is to do - I still remember vividly how this kind of thing just terrified me. But, ....
Think about how this will look several years down the line. The trunk will be thicker. It will have some nice bark on it. Regardless of how you might position it in a pot, it is going to be a dowel pin coming out of the ground, round and straight as an arrow. Then up there somewhere things start moving. Also think about how much this grew last year.

Anyway, just imagine.
Then, continue enjoying. :)

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A chop is definitely in this tree's future.

I want to see where the low buds appear this year on the trunk and also see what the roots are looking like, then make my decision on where to chop and what angle.

I figure chopping after the tree's first flush, and if the tree pushes some new lower branches, will add to the tree's energy to recover. Either way, this tree has a long road ahead of it. Im being conservative initially to see how it reacts to different things being done to it.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Its certainly got good potential!! IMHO Its a bit too soon to be thinking of re- potting this year as you only collected and potted it 12 months ago- more root disturbance by un-necessary repotting now could be detrimental ! It really needs more time to recover ,thicken up and establish its root system. I know its hard to resist but I would leave it in peace for this season and focus on some other trees!!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @AJL, ill consider that. The tree grew really well last year, no weakness at all, which is why I felt safe to repot it. Some of my weaker trees I definitely wont repot.

Ill mull over it. I know oaks dont like rootwork but this tree didnt miss a beat when I potted it last year.

As you can see, Im torn over getting another stab at flattening the roots and letting it grow a full season as is.

Top Bottom