Question for those with experience of Air layering surface roots - what to do once the roots grow?

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
Seeking guidance on an air layering question:

I am a beginner and am trying to develop visible surface roots. I have tried the ‘ring’ air layering technique (cutting a ring through the bark and growing roots into moss).

My question is, what should I do with the new roots once they have grown? For example, after the roots have grown should I repot the tree with those new roots partly in the earth - yet still above the ground?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple of things . You should put your location and USDA hardiness rating . In your bio . Will help people give you accurate info . When you ask questions . You don’t mention much here . Ie what species of tree is it . At what stage of the air layer . Are you at now . Have you separated the layer . This will help you get better info back . Welcome to the forum. . There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to share . Very high levels of info in bonsai . In general when a air layer is first separated you don’t do anything to the roots . That have developed . They are very delicate . Plant it in bonsai soil and burry the roots below the soil . Roots will develop better in the soil . There is lots of time to show them off latter . After at least a year . You can do a little root work . Comb them out some . But still plant them bellow the soil

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Plant the tree so those new roots grow strong. If that means a bit deeper then do it otherwise just add soil to just cover the roots. Do not plant too deep as some species will grow more new roots just under the soil.
When the new roots are strong (actual time depends on species, care and climate) you'll saw off the original trunk just under the new roots.
Please add a location and mor info for better advice.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My question is, what should I do with the new roots once they have grown? For example, after the roots have grown should I repot the tree with those new roots partly in the earth - yet still above the ground?
Welcome to the forum. If I can rephrase your question, it sounds like you are asking a conceptual question about nebari development - when potting the tree after separating the airlayer, do I expose the roots to start developing the root flare? The answer is no. You first want to get the roots growing out (radially) by keeping the root flare basically right below the soil. When you repot in the future, you will cut the roots back leaving the nebari to grow out again. As the root flare extends and thickens up, the tree will develop a more pronounced taper at the base. It's this base and the thicker nebari that eventually get exposed.

You'll eventually have much more specific questions. The best way to get the most direct answer you are looking for (as opposed to a whole lot of "it depends") is to provide as much information as possible. Where are you? What kind of tree are you asking about? And the like. The best answer for a specific tree in a specific place in specific soil can be the absolute wrong answer for a tree that doesnt share those traits.

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If I can rephrase your question, it sounds like you are asking a conceptual question about nebari development - when potting the tree after separating the airlayer, do I expose the roots to start developing the root flare? The answer is no. You first want to get the roots growing out (radially) by keeping the root flare basically right below the soil. When you repot in the future, you will cut the roots back leaving the nebari to grow out again. As the root flare extends and thickens up, the tree will develop a more pronounced taper at the base. It's this base and the thicker nebari that eventually get exposed.

You'll eventually have much more specific questions. The best way to get the most direct answer you are looking for (as opposed to a whole lot of "it depends") is to provide as much information as possible. Where are you? What kind of tree are you asking about? And the like. The best answer for a specific tree in a specific place in specific soil can be the absolute wrong answer for a tree that doesnt share those traits.
Thank you for your kind response and for your advice. Very helpful! and answered the immediate worry that I had.

Also, it is good to know about the information I should have given with the question.

I’m going to give what I’m doing a go without asking more questions. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to ask.

saul_sebag

Seedling
Reaction score
Plant the tree so those new roots grow strong. If that means a bit deeper then do it otherwise just add soil to just cover the roots. Do not plant too deep as some species will grow more new roots just under the soil.
When the new roots are strong (actual time depends on species, care and climate) you'll saw off the original trunk just under the new roots.
Please add a location and mor info for better advice.

You'll eventually have much more specific questions. The best way to get the most direct answer you are looking for (as opposed to a whole lot of "it depends") is to provide as much information as possible. Where are you? What kind of tree are you asking about? And the like. The best answer for a specific tree in a specific place in specific soil can be the absolute wrong answer for a tree that doesnt share those traits
Couple of things . You should put your location and USDA hardiness rating . In your bio . Will help people give you accurate info . When you ask questions . You don’t mention much here . Ie what species of tree is it . At what stage of the air layer . Are you at now . Have you separated the layer . This will help you get better info back . Welcome to the forum. . There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to share . Very high levels of info in bonsai . In general when a air layer is first separated you don’t do anything to the roots . That have developed . They are very delicate . Plant it in bonsai soil and burry the roots below the soil . Roots will develop better in the soil . There is lots of time to show them off latter . After at least a year . You can do a little root work . Comb them out some . But still plant them bellow the soil

Thank you all for your advice. Very very helpful!

Also, much appreciate knowing about the information I should have given with the question.

I’m going to give what I’m doing a go without asking more questions. Thank you for understanding what I was trying to ask.

Top Bottom