Radialayer™ a season saver.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
all done...for now... i need better backgrounds...sorry about that!

Attachments

• IMG_9837.jpg
    IMG_9837.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 119

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a CD once.
All it said was, Ham Sandwich, ham sandwich, Ham sandwich, Ham Sandwich. In different accents and emphasis. Emphasai?

Anyway.

Nice. And I like the tree.!
I reckon you'll see roots by the end of May!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here's a question i've never found an answer for...what is the advantage of doing air layers vs hardwood cuttings? Do any nutrients go through the wood that's not hacked off on an air layer?

Do air layers on larger diameter pieces. Things that may not root from a cutting. Cuttings are normally smaller easy to root pieces.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to use this on my Seiju Sorce! Once the wife leaves I got to dig through the tupperware!

Don't use her good stuff!
I was thinking today about using a colander.
Maybe a round cake container or the like for something so big.
Just use the same lid for the disc.

I wish you the best!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't use her good stuff!
I was thinking today about using a colander.
Maybe a round cake container or the like for something so big.
Just use the same lid for the disc.

I wish you the best!

Sorce
She's going to buy me some Gladware containers. If I ever used the Tupperware she would probably set my boat on fire.
Feisty girl. Has to be to put up with me. Dirty,disgusting animal that I am. Her words for all men.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hmmm...I went away for about a week and left the care of my trees to someone else. All the trees are fine but the sph. moss looked pretty dry on the outside of my aluminum foil...I guess I just keep the foil around it until I see lots of roots? If it did go dry and new roots did die then, keeping it wet for another month should force new roots to grow right? The top of the tree that I'm layering off still looks healthy and really good. Anyone had this happen and it worked out?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hmmm...I went away for about a week and left the care of my trees to someone else. All the trees are fine but the sph. moss looked pretty dry on the outside of my aluminum foil...I guess I just keep the foil around it until I see lots of roots? If it did go dry and new roots did die then, keeping it wet for another month should force new roots to grow right? The top of the tree that I'm layering off still looks healthy and really good. Anyone had this happen and it worked out?

You're probably fine.
I'd leave it.
I'm gonna start one this week.
Yours will show roots before mine.

I reckon.

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
that's what I'm hoping :) Just waiting until I see that the roots have started to take over the little plastic tub that it's in, but it's nice for confirmation from a pro

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, there is a bonsai show on Saturday, let's see how much my willpower holds up....any bets? one, two three, four trees? or more?

As a point of reference I purchased two great trees and was proud of myself for holding back and not buying more :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, there is a bonsai show on Saturday, let's see how much my willpower holds up....any bets? one, two three, four trees? or more?

As a point of reference I purchased two great trees and was proud of myself for holding back and not buying more :)

Erbdates?

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorce,
I have many more cork bark elms than I started with in April. Some of my air layers worked and some failed. I had much more success with cuttings this season. I can't remember if I posted that one of my elms got confused and started to make roots on the bottom portion of the air layer...so it was growing roots upside down. Instead of roots growing down with gravity, they were growing up.

So I cut off that branch (I was getting rid of it anyway) and said "little branch, if you want to grow your own roots I'm going to let you" and stuck it in a pot and it is a new tree now :)

Disappointingly, the top portion that I really wanted to live, did the worst out of all my air layers/cuttings and is a goner. Next time I do this I'm going to make a much bigger separation between layers...and maybe try to keep it watered! I will probably use the radialayer tech again...didn't really get to evaluate it since most of my trees didn't produce enough roots a la air layer

Last edited:

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, I think I might go for a forest with all the little elms I have...eventually....and buy some more from Ken.

Next Summer's task...experiment with ground layering to get some better roots on the cork bark elm's I do have

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
last point....trees keep falling off trucks and land right in front of my front door! at least that's what I tell the MRS...usually followed up by her palm hitting her forehead as she closes her eyes
I got an azalea that's really nice earlier this summer and a jap. garden juniper to play around with...starting to try out some evergreens...can't wait to see what color the azalea turns out to be!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hitting her forehead as she closes her eyes

Next time, have her a pretty gift for when she opens them again!

Brownie points!

Thanks for sharing!

Sorce

Heavy_Set

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
If you were really to snort that stuff you would probably have cancer within a month. Highly carcinogenic stuff. Shouldn't even get it on your hands.
.....hmmmmmm cancer huh.....i thought i was just growing roots off my hands from years of use without gloves. Damn and here i thought i was developing good structure this whole time. I had plans to plant myself in a nice antique chinese pot in a handstand fashion come the end of spring.....shattered dreams of transforming myself into a tree:(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sordate? How's that Hokkaido coming along? Did you start the layer?

I been knocking off excess twigs here and there to check for life.

Some come off...some bend!

It is alive.

I must move now...May 31st.
So....

I may layer it after that, I don't want to have anything in a delicate state to move...

Sorce

Top Bottom