Radialayer™ a season saver.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you do use R. hormone still, even though I may get cancer from it?
and correct me if I'm wrong, the roots only grow from the top part of the girdle and the reason to make it big, is so it doesn't bridge back..

I don't use hormone.
@0soyoung reads the book with the good info on it. If I did use it I would use it as per 0so and the book with the %'s.

Yeah so it don't bridge....

But there is more to not bridging than a wide gap...

New investigations.

Sorce

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe a hose clamp instead of the putty? Not sure how that would work out but it’s the first thing that comes to mind

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a hose clamp instead of the putty?

Hell yes! Anything that serves the purpose without antiserving the purpose!

My putty is dry! I ain't buying more!

Sorce

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hell yes! Anything that serves the purpose without antiserving the purpose!

Sorce

This is by far the best thing I have read all month, possibly all year!! Bravo!!! Another great one from Sorce.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nutters,

You may have noticed I almost always jump to recommending airlayers. I don't think I will ever lose my fascination with the process. In attempts to perfect it, I have worked out some tweaks so it is time to share my method.

I don't understand haphazardly throwing long Sphagnum in plasticwrap (though I do this too), just to sort out the roots later. This Bonsai thing takes long enough as it is. This method has gotten me off to a good start on a couple plants, (pom, elm) Now that I remembered to add the support putty, and to take photos, well... Here it is on a ficus.

Photos in order. Backwards.

Materials.
Zip tie. Jewel ham container. Regular soil mix. Finely chopped Sphagnum. Plumbers putty. Broken pot chunks. 4 inch packing film. Sharp knife. Scissors. Tape.

Beleive it or not, salami containers work just as well.

Process.
I mark A/L spots with zip ties as soon as I know they will take place. For a bit of girdle too. I cut off the zip tie and use it to judge the size of the hole to cut in the Radialdisc™ (blue lid, many substitutes), and the container bottom.

Standard ringbarking. Cut deep. Strip with knife from top to bottom.
Apply Radialdisc™. See photo. Just below top cut.
Punch drainage holes in container. Apply.
Fill bottom with soil.
Top with finely chopped Sphagnum.
Add pot chunks(many better substitutes). For a bit of weight to keep Sphagnum compact.
No pic of wrapped in plastic to keep moist.

This was done last night. I will repost when the roots hit the pot side. And repot shortly after with a repost!

About three years ago I had my only failed air layer. On a nursery redbud I was keeping inside. (Go figure) I have since had nothing but success on ficus, elm, pomegranate, and a Cali Plant once.! I look forward to my first Juniper attempt this Spring. And I have my eye on a possible Hawthorn. Dying to acquire one and I blame BVF for that! In a good way!

I know there is a better way to accomplish this. Brainstorming comments welcome.

I have another elm I poured a fast setting concrete pot around. And I would use a kiddie pool as the Radialdisc ™ if I had space.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps better your Nebari beginnings!

Sorce
This is a great idea. Trying it out on my Sharp's Pygmy with built in peek hole. Container was from Walmart (about $5.00/ top locks in place). It is grafted with too long of a trunk.

Attachments

• 20180424_094611.jpg
    20180424_094611.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180424_100229.jpg
    20180424_100229.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180424_101144.jpg
    20180424_101144.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180424_102111.jpg
    20180424_102111.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180424_104326.jpg
    20180424_104326.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180424_110526.jpg
    20180424_110526.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180424_110535.jpg
    20180424_110535.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 133

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
been doing this with water bottles chopped up for a couple years. This year I found big plastic easter eggs at Dollar Tree that are in halves long ways. Dremel out a hole top and bottom, fill halves with sphagnum, fit together over the branch, packing tape around it and at the base to support it on the tree at the air layer spot. My neighbors am sure are wondering if I am going to take down my Easter decorations. :)

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's a good container for this method. More flexible and does not split when you cut it.
IMG_20180501_122105121.jpg
IMG_20180501_122119139.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to Cool your Starch Water in!

Sorce

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a great idea. Trying it out on my Sharp's Pygmy with built in peek hole. Container was from Walmart (about $5.00/ top locks in place). It is grafted with too long of a trunk.
I checked the peek hole today. No roots, however I did notice some very small red mites. Will they feed on roots?

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
Great idea, I'll try it, thanks! Is it too late to start an airlayer in middle of June? (middle Europe) The only thing I dont't get, is what is the soil under the disc is for? Does it keep the stuff moist, or what?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great idea, I'll try it, thanks! Is it too late to start an airlayer in middle of June? (middle Europe) The only thing I dont't get, is what is the soil under the disc is for? Does it keep the stuff moist, or what?
It continues to grow over the disc edge and into the soil. Hopefully

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
I see, thanks! Is peat good too for the upper layer, or there's a difference between sphagnum and peat?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see, thanks! Is peat good too for the upper layer, or there's a difference between sphagnum and peat?

You guys have what Walter Pall calls Coarse Peat...different from our peat but not sure how exactly...chop the sphagnum!

Now isn't a bad time to layer.
Callous up thru to the waning moon and you should start to see roots a while after.

Sorce

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You guys have what Walter Pall calls Coarse Peat...different from our peat but not sure how exactly...chop the sphagnum!

Now isn't a bad time to layer.
Callous up thru to the waning moon and you should start to see roots a while after.

Sorce
Would you consider a pumice only radialdisc with a little sphagnum on top for moisture retention? ( So the top cut is covered with pumice) I'm starting to like pumice after I read the the Michael Hagedorn article " Life without Turface ". I do think it may need a second visit with the watering can to fully soak.
I know you are not a fan of over wintering sphagnum. Maybe this would allow you to scrape off the sphagnum moss if the layer needs another season.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider a pumice only radialdisc with a little sphagnum on top for moisture retention? ( So the top cut is covered with pumice) I'm starting to like pumice after I read the the Michael Hagedorn article " Life without Turface ". I do think it may need a second visit with the watering can to fully soak.
I know you are not a fan of over wintering sphagnum. Maybe this would allow you to scrape off the sphagnum moss if the layer needs another season.

Eh...I got some pumice...
Put a seedling JBP in it.
Doing exactly as well as one in DE bigsift.
And the one in DE smallsift is doing slightly better than both.
All kept soaked twice a day and fished daily.

I thought I would be an instant pumice fan...

Not so yet.

Sorce

Top Bottom