Recommended Tools

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kits are usually crap unless a reputable bonsai brand. The stuff on Amazon is mostly poor quality. I too bought one of these kits, I've since replaced everything with better tools from well known bonsai brands

theguywithcrocs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Kits are usually crap unless a reputable bonsai brand. The stuff on Amazon is mostly poor quality. I too bought one of these kits, I've since replaced everything with better tools from well known bonsai brands
I was talking with my dad about this the other evening, and he told me that it sounds like Amazon has the Harbor Freight variety of tools. No offense to anyone who buys from Harbor Freight, but you go in there, buy a tool that won't last, only to do what you had said, and replace it with a better tool further down the line.

Not to mention, half the kits on Amazon have the same pictures for the kit, but are all coming from various companies and places 🙃

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think even 👆their tools that would work well, aren't worth the risk of shipping from China, after shipping our scrap to them as well.

Why risk the Sea Life?

When you can tighten a bolt with fingers and a wrench faster and tighter than their impact driver....
We are wasting more than electricity!

Sorce

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recommend a good pair of scissors(I prefer NOT the really wide scissors/shears common in many kits), a pair of good concave cutters, a wire cutter (purpose-made for bonsai so you don't knick your trees with the ones you get from Lowes/HD), and a pair of jin pliers. My jin pliers are probably my most used tool. (They're essential in wiring, once you know how to use them.) I also sent you (another) PM.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
After I saw some of the kits being packaged with the grow bonsai from seed things, my opinion of them was somewhat deflated, haha.

And thank you! I think I've actually seen you around the site before! It's an honor to finally meet you, officially.

I've actually come across Sumo while I was down some of my rabbit holes. I'm thinking I might hit him up.

Thanks for the help!
I am always around. I am either lurking here or over on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/sumobonsaisupply
If you have any questions, just hit me up.

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It took me about two years as well before I bought my Kaneshin tools: nice pair of scissors, a Concave cutter and a set of jin pliers. Before that I used a dinner fork and a couple of really cheap branch cutters, and a pair of normal pruning scissors. The cheaper items are still used a lot for root work, though it feels like I'm sharpening them almost every use... Don't buy kits, rather buy the most essential items when you're ready to take the plunge.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Concave cutters & maybe wire cutters are really the only bonsai-specific tools needed. That is to say, you can’t find conventional equivalents. Anything that’s marketed towards bonsai tends to carry a price premium with it, so I avoid those products when possible.

That said, there’s worse ways to spend money than dropping $100-200 on some quality tools. Buy once, cry once as they say

Jatt

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went to sumo bonsai store online but on going to tools section says error on site and nothing opens up
anyone having same problem ?
how are tools from bonsai vision / stone lantern?
any site recommended for buying tools

thnaks for advice in advance
best

Top Bottom