Repot window of my Hinoki Cypress - Expert suggestions needed.

Reaction score
Well, as I barerooted it I did the same, but in the end I used a light jet of water to clean it off completely. Plenty of roots, all healthy, I did just a very light trimming on the longest ones and reppoted into a draining mix. It's doing ok, so I guess the tree liked it.
Nice tree. It's personal preference but I would recommend pruning over pinching as pinching gives an unnatural appearance on Hinoki.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How bout yours @Japonicus ? I bought one from the box store earlier and will address the rootball ASAP. Planning on following the “Taming Hinoki” article that’s out there. Hoping to get some info on results from repot and what was done to yours at initial repot.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How bout yours @Japonicus ? I bought one from the box store earlier and will address the rootball ASAP. Planning on following the “Taming Hinoki” article that’s out there. Hoping to get some info on results from repot and what was done to yours at initial repot.

post 12 here, doing good, it had recovered enough from the set back I thought might kill it
after I wired it. The front half of the tree looked nearly dead, but bounced back so it got a pot
1 year ago tomorrow. The starter from the Monastery a Thoweil took really well and is going nicely
potted up 1 year ago yesterday, so I'd say now is the time, for me anyway :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it's done.
Full bare root, potted into a slightly larger (but shallower) training plastic pot, 75% inorganic mix, some Micomax added.
I have decided to tie the tree from the trunk instead of wiring it down, to preserve the roots already stressed by the radical change of substrate.
I want to thanks @Hbhaska , @0soyoung and @River's Edge for the support and great suggestions.
It took me three or four hours, misting the roots and working on the old muck to clean the rootball.
I hope it survives the shock.

View attachment 341662
Good to hear Clicio! I followed almost the exact measures you took. Also used a spray of water and was as careful as I’ve ever been with the roots. Roots on mine were also very healthy. Though I was very disappointed to find a graft buried beneath the burlap at the base. It’s not horrible but obviously not desirable. Rookie mistake as I should have known. I may try and air layer at some point if it pulls through. Thanks for the update on yours my friend.

Top Bottom