Rocky Mountain Bonsai

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just moved to Denver, well Conifer right now, and will be looking to attend the local club meetings as soon as I can. I am looking forward to working with some pines and junipers but I was wondering about some of my hardy trees and their care in the winters here.

I have one shimpaku juniper and one Japanese Yew that are both in the start of training and were growing well in Texas and I am just worried that they will not take the dramatic temperature shift between Texas weather and the much cooler weather here. Would keeping them in the garage under shop lights to allow them to keep growing but slowly go dormant?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd think that even in Texas, yew and juniper should be dormant now...I would move them right into the garage and leave them there until spring when outside conditions are more amenable to growing. If your garage is cold enough, the additional light is unnecessary. Both species are cold hardy to - 20 F in the landscape...as long as you protect the roots from severe cold, they should be fine.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd think that even in Texas, yew and juniper should be dormant now...I would move them right into the garage and leave them there until spring when outside conditions are more amenable to growing. If your garage is cold enough, the additional light is unnecessary. Both species are cold hardy to - 20 F in the landscape...as long as you protect the roots from severe cold, they should be fine.

Yea, but he is in Conifer Colorado ....

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly. Yew and Juniper would sail through a Texas winter outside with little to no protection...not so in Conifer, CO. A cold garage is the place for them there.

Yup.

Well now that I re-read your post it makes more sense to me .... :eek:

ed

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you are not in reasonable physical condition get that way as soon as possible. Colorado is a wonderful place to start collecting material, I know if I was in my 20's I would be out there somewhere. There is a world of incredible material available to the bonsai collector from New Mexico to Montana. Been there and seen a lot of it.

Top Bottom