Ryan Neal article in The New Yorker

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The comments on the Mirai FB site include some remarks about disappointment the piece doesn't mention the sizeable influence of the Yakuza in modern Japanese bonsai. Now THERE be a story worth reading and with some possibly very real consequences for hurting someone's feelings. 😁

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wrong. Choice of language is, of course, up to the author.

What the author is not entitled to do is knowingly publish false, harmful information. Such as an inaccurate translation. So, no. The magazine does not have “ultimate control” over that. That’s defamation.
You exaggerate. We do not know what changes were asked. We only have one side here. And to be fair, there is nothing in what Ryan Neil said that disputes how he was treated. If anything, he corroborates that. Kimura might be a genious, and cultures can be different. That is no justification to be abusive. Decades ago in my country kids were physically punished by teachers. No amount of cultural differences can make that right. Ever.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You exaggerate. We do not know what changes were asked. We only have one side here. And to be fair, there is nothing in what Ryan Neil said that disputes how he was treated. If anything, he corroborates that. Kimura might be a genious, and cultures can be different. That is no justification to be abusive. Decades ago in my country kids were physically punished by teachers. No amount of cultural differences can make that right. Ever.
I’m not exaggerating anything. The post by @Sansokuu that sparked this discussion was this:

“The Japanese bonsai community were extremely unhappy with the translations used in the article, and found a lot of the wording exaggerated and in some cases simply untrue. The translator and Kimura requested a number of changes that were ignored. The translator was Makiko Koba and you can see her side of things on her facebook in a translated post that I have quoted here…”

IF this allegation is true, then the magazine irresponsibly published an inaccurate article. Perhaps the allegation is true, perhaps not. I have yet to see definitive evidence one way or the other. But, if true, then it is illegal, regardless of your personal musings about the subject matter. Sorry to break it to ya, buddy! 😜

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found the Makiko Koba's Facebook discussion of this article. I don't feel like it really clarified much

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the factual dispute that Kimura and Makiko are alleging. The most specific complaint seems to be around the using the phrase "treated like dogs", general dissatisfaction at a former apprentice showing disrespect to their oyakata, and that Neil is exaggerating his mistreatment. None of those are statements of fact

Subjects of reporting frequently are not happy about the tone of news coverage they receive. Isn't that kind of the purpose of reporting?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m not exaggerating anything. The post by @Sansokuu that sparked this discussion was this:

“The Japanese bonsai community were extremely unhappy with the translations used in the article, and found a lot of the wording exaggerated and in some cases simply untrue. The translator and Kimura requested a number of changes that were ignored. The translator was Makiko Koba and you can see her side of things on her facebook in a translated post that I have quoted here…”

IF this allegation is true, then the magazine irresponsibly published an inaccurate article. Perhaps the allegation is true, perhaps not. I have yet to see definitive evidence one way or the other. But, if true, then it is illegal, regardless of your personal musings about the subject matter. Sorry to break it to ya, buddy! 😜
Not really illegal. First ammendment protections are really strong in this country and proving injurious intent extremely hard

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I agree with you that it has to be both false AND harmful. Those are both elements of the tort.
As a globally recognized bonsai artist, Kimura is a public figure. That sets the bar quite a bit higher for what the magazine published to qualify as libelous. It’s not enough for it to be both false and harmful. The publisher would also have to have published the material with either actual malice or with a reckless disregard for the truth. I’ve seen no evidence that anything written in the piece was false, but let’s assume for sake of argument that something printed in the article was false because of a mistranslation. it’s still quite unlikely to be libelous. The magazine would have to botch their fact checking pretty badly for it to rise to that level.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I don’t even play one on TV. I also did not spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This is not legal advice. I’m just a guy on the Internet who has opinions about stuff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think you'd have to be in denial to think that hierarchical based "discipline" dont happen to this day in Japan. Even in a very tame, western Rinzai Buddhism institution it was implied to me that once you are initiated to an appropriate extent that you would potentially be subject to moderate taibatsu at the discretion of your senior members or instructors.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
The comments on the Mirai FB site include some remarks about disappointment the piece doesn't mention the sizeable influence of the Yakuza in modern Japanese bonsai. Now THERE be a story worth reading and with some possibly very real consequences for hurting someone's feelings. 😁
Is this even for real?????

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is this even for real?????
I know they more or less control the pachinko parlor scene and to some extent horse racing, I've never seen anything implying the Yakuza has a chokehold on the bonsai market in Japan but that post piqued my curiosity too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lucky to be alive when we have tons of information and met artist who spend all their lives to learn the craft and share it to us :)

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
If he didnt mention Kimura by name, readers would think that Ryan’s experience would be the standard, and I don’t think it was. Its a story about a foreigners experience enduring 6 years with the hardest hardass in the business. Having read about others’ experiences like Bjorn and Hagedorn, while tough, they weren’t nearly as harsh.

Mr Kimura is running a business, and apprentices are part of that. While the bond between a master and an apprentice is closer than say me and my boss, it’s still a business, and not personal. I dont think any lines were crossed in the telling of this story.

As a side note, its a good rule of thumb not to engage in behavior that you wouldnt want the public to know about.

As a further aside, my teacher apprenticed with Kimura while Ryan was there, and was sent home due to injuring his back carrying trees, so yeah. He’s aways telling me not to lift the trees now. 😅
We have met Shinji Suzuki in Obuse, really nice guy. He is teacher of Hagedorn and Matt Reel. In fact that's how we even found the bonsai community here in Portland, he gave us one of Michael Hagedorn's books and we were like 'who's this guy' and he told us to look up Matt Reel who he said was 'a really nice guy (and he very much is)', and he told us about BSOP. Pretty wild to have traveled the path we have from a random visit to a town adjacent to Nao's home town in Nagano. Shinji Suzuki had a lot of apprentices bustling that day (they were the ones that let us in), and one fellow from Korea was the one who sent us all the contact info for Matt. A really positive amazing experience. And we had tea. :)

As for back injuries, PLEASE, anyone with a bonsai over 2 lbs learn to properly lift !! Have help, use tools, consider ergonomics when designing your work space. All of these little things add up. After decades of drawing I have a ton of my own hand problems and back issues. One consultation with a physical therapist can really be eye opening on the important of neutral positions and taking *breaks* every 20 minutes no matter what you are doing. Repetitive stress injuries are no joke.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you have a link to Makiko's Facebook post so we can see the context?
I wish I can link it but FB is really stupid. :( If you look her up on FB and scroll down her newsfeed page little bit (she has since updated with the exhibitions going on in Japan) you'll catch the article, most of the upset remarks are in the FB comments.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Lol understandable.
Seems like a huge issue if the publisher was made aware that there were factual inaccuracies in the article, but published it anyway.

Shoddy journalism, or worse, defamatory….
Defamatory or slanderous if this affect’s Kimura in terms of business or his standing in the bonsai community in Japan…. i guess we will find out 😬

I heard that Kobayashi was banned from the Kokufu decades ago because a client of his accused some organization of killing one of his trees, they even flat out discouraged people from visiting his garden. Things are all fine now, but Japan doesn’t mess around when it comes to representing or defending character. If you try to quit your job, your company will literally send out a black list to all companies telling them not to hire you.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Defamatory or slanderous if this affect’s Kimura in terms of business or his standing in the bonsai community in Japan…. i guess we will find out 😬

I heard that Kobayashi was banned from the Kokufu decades ago because a client of his accused some organization of killing one of his trees, they even flat out discouraged people from visiting his garden. Things are all fine now, but Japan doesn’t mess around when it comes to representing or defending character. If you try to quit your job, your company will literally send out a black list to all companies telling them not to hire you.
This makes no sense. The New Yorker is an American publication. Only American libel laws apply. Not Japanese

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I know that mr. Bjorholm is quite a happy weight lifter, so I think he hasn't suffered the consequences in a physical sense. But I have to say that in the "back pain" game there's a lot going on with the idea that back pain is caused by weak muscles not being able to take the weight, putting all strain on the bones, intervertebral disks and ligaments. I know a couple guys, one well in his sixties, that fixed their back issues by lifting weights more often and strengthening the muscles. For me that's been working too. So it could just be that Bjorn is fixing the damage.
I’m gonna tell you all a secret to stronger back muscles. It’s the glutes. With modern shoes and less than natural walking strides, our glutes have become quite flabby. And then other parts of your body try to overcompensate, cue back tendon/muscle overwork and pain. Bjorn knows whats up for keeping in shape for grueling bonsai work.

Now who wants to cash in on weightliting for bonsai artists? 😂 The dumbbells can have your favorite trees engraved on them.

Brim Gribley

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever was instilled in Ryan during his apprenticeship.......seemed to have worked. .. no judgements.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judging a teaching framework using different cultural background is a bit judgemental I feel. Respect is in some cultures more importat than others, and hierarchy is very different. The setup that is discussed sounds very much like a "Meester and Gezel" type of training, which used to be common in the Netherlands for many of the professional trades like carpentry. Initially you would just work for the experience. In fact, one could say that many peope doing a PhD in most places around the world are nothing more than workslaves for the academic supervisors. You can have a great experience, or, if you are unlucky, you can have a supervisor that is just rough on you and demanding.

I have spoken with a few Japanese artists and they frequently indicate a disinterest in having western apprentices, because they are arrogant, and think they know it all. I can imagine that the reason why the first 20 or so letters to Kimura were left unanswered might have something to do with it. If you go to Japan, be aware that you join a Japanese style apprenticeship. If you do not like the style, do not go there. Simple as that.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judging a teaching framework using different cultural background is a bit judgemental I feel. Respect is in some cultures more importat than others, and hierarchy is very different. The setup that is discussed sounds very much like a "Meester and Gezel" type of training, which used to be common in the Netherlands for many of the professional trades like carpentry. Initially you would just work for the experience. In fact, one could say that many peope doing a PhD in most places around the world are nothing more than workslaves for the academic supervisors. You can have a great experience, or, if you are unlucky, you can have a supervisor that is just rough on you and demanding.

I have spoken with a few Japanese artists and they frequently indicate a disinterest in having western apprentices, because they are arrogant, and think they know it all. I can imagine that the reason why the first 20 or so letters to Kimura were left unanswered might have something to do with it. If you go to Japan, be aware that you join a Japanese style apprenticeship. If you do not like the style, do not go there. Simple as that.

It's one thing to work for free to gain access to skills and knowledge, and another to be physically and mentally traumatized for that privilege. One is acceptable and one is not. I can appreciate the historical context but just because "that's how it's always been done" does not justify it. Ryan could be exaggerating but from the article it sounds like there was physical maltreatment, and part of Kimura's thing was to beat people down psychologically. Seemingly, since Ryan still suffers from that experience today, this was an abusive relationship. I think we can acknowledge that this is how these things have historically played out -- and still do to a lesser extent -- but I doubt we should pretend that behavior is OK.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even if that was the case, they are a "legal" entity in Japan, and I am sure that if they were not involved in a lot of things they are Japan would be another different place much like the rest of Southeast Asia.

It’s the glutes. With modern shoes and less than natural walking strides, our glutes have become quite flabby.
Sooo, completely non-bonsai related but this statement is 1000% true. I have had severe back pain for at least the last decade, and while browsing FB I came upon an ad from Xero shoes. In the beginning, I thought it was utterly nonsense, but then I thought about when I was a kid, none of my shoes had any heels on them. I mostly used Vans, Chucks, and the most lift I had in a shoe was from my topsiders. Which may have 1/4" at the most. I decided to give Xero a try, and I can say that after a little over a year of using them, my back pain is almost 70% gone. I know there is damage in my back from the Army that will not go away, but the constant aches are almost tolerable now.

Judging a teaching framework using different cultural background is a bit judgemental I feel. Respect is in some cultures more importat than others, and hierarchy is very different.
Exactly... I wish the US had at least 1/2 the respect that Japan has... we used to.

It's one thing to work for free to gain access to skills and knowledge, and another to be physically and mentally traumatized for that privilege.
Ryan was traumatized because of his "westerner" mentality. Japanese kids will get tired of the treatment and quit, or endure it like many has and be fine. It's the same thing in the military, the treatment now is so freaking soft that I would be amazed if they are able to succeed if the "crap hits the fan." They are training soldiers now like a corporate entity... I can't speak of combat arms units because I was removed from them around 2009, but the support units are a mess, to be honest.

Top Bottom