Seki's various BC's progress thread

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sometimes...we stall and don't have vision for something. It tends to always fall into place at a later date. I never rush things. If I don't see it. I offer horticulture care and time to offer more to work with.
I wish I did that more often.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally got around to working on this one and snapping some pics. Still needs some deadwood treatment. This tree is a real balancing act and compromise. The strong lateral base gives two choices for fronts. I included an older shot of the front not chosen. What may have been flattened out in the camera lens is the prominent pigeon breast that is there. In some ways I like the root mass better - it has more depth to it. But the other side was equally nice with the shari already there and the little peek-a-boo hollow. This then leads you to the cyst like bump on the right side and hopefully a little artistic branch work will lead one's eye through the composition. This session was really just one of removing everything that was never going to be useful, including reducing the leader back a bit and setting the bases of what is left. The top was wired into a somewhat flat-toppish style although it is a bit wide right now, and that is probably where it is going to go. Most of the branch length remaining will be taken back in favor of tapering gnarled branches. Also in the works will be some carving at the original trunk chop site to conceal some of the flare that has resulted from the callousing process.

BTW this is not a small tree as I think the Dale Cochoy drum pot it is in has a diameter of about 21". Maybe a bit small in width for its final home, IMO.

0526212232c.jpg0526212231a.jpg

Attachments

• 1108201156.jpg
    1108201156.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom