Self Education in Bonsai

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As much as I read books, online, videos, etc I don't think there is anything that would make me learn as much as quickly as it would be while working with an teacher/master.

I've never had a solo session with an artist but just through attending demos and being able to bounce questions and ideas off a live person is the best benefit and what makes the difference in my book. You get their thought process, their understanding of it as it's happening. You just can't self teach some things.

Even here on the forums, having conversations with some of you via PM allow me to learn better and likely faster than i would with just trying to self teach from books and videos. I'm not saying one can't learn how to do bonsai alone but it can't be as thorough. If time weren't an issue, I'd love to be able to train with a master, I'm sure i'd ask stupid questions, but at least I would get my answer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My answer is it depends on the person.

I don't believe that one has to go study in Japan or with a master for 5-10 years to learn bonsai.
Will you learn it quicker? Yes.
Will you reach master level learning on your own? Probably not, but not impossible for someone with drive, talent, gift and the ability to learn on your own.

I think I am the type of person that has the ability to learn on my own. At least its worked for me in the past with other things. So I do believe that I can reach a certain level on my own, at least to the point where I can develop credible trees. Maybe not fantastic trees, but if they are decent and make me happy, that's all that matters to me. Would I learn better, faster, etc from a master, yes but like others here, at this point in my life, I can't quit my job and move to Japan for 5-10 years.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After helping my Wife with her Tropicals for so long I decided 6 years ago to start my own collection of anything but Tropicals. It was a process learning what works and what does not JUST keeping a lot of different trees alive... I could not learn that from anyone and to me that is the most important thing for now. NOBODY can tell me what Mother Nature will do at any given moment in my climate and because I have learned how to properly react I am successful. This Spring I will Start buying good stock based on that and if it is of decent quality it will survive.
Will I then attend some workshops dealing with design and techniques - more then likely yes. That may be optional as I have enough to experiment with right now and I believe the finished product is the result of the relationship between myself and the plant.
If I wanted a perfect tree I would buy it. I prefer to go on my own for the most part.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I am the type of person that has the ability to learn on my own. At least its worked for me in the past with other things. So I do believe that I can reach a certain level on my own, at least to the point where I can develop credible trees. Maybe not fantastic trees, but if they are decent and make me happy, that's all that matters to me.
I agree.

Likewise, I did woodturning and in my short stint, I never took any class, learned everything from books, video, and forums. It is very much like bonsai and some class are several days live in too. I think I did decent work even w/o mentoring. They always use this saying there..."It's the Indian, not the arrow." (relating to results delivered via skill vs equipment).

... I believe the finished product is the result of the relationship between myself and the plant.
If I wanted a perfect tree I would buy it. I prefer to go on my own for the most part.
I love this GL. :)

Top Bottom