Sharp's Pygmy Maple

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
DSC06883.JPG

I obtained this Sharp's Japanese Maple stock last year from a local nursery and it underwent its first styling during the Fall.

At the end of Fall I decided that the maple needed a better secondary structure and potentially better development of primary branches. This year I will allow about 90% of the buds to grow freely. During the fall I will be choosing new branches to start compressing the structure and bringing finer ramification closer to the trunk.

DSC06778.JPG
Fall 2020 Branch Structure before styling.

DSC06798.JPG
After styling. Compressing the design and placed secondary structure to build tertiary refinement.

Last edited:

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! Great cultivar. I'll look forward to updates.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
During the summer it grew vigorously. I did a partial defoliation so the interior branching did not get weaker. It did not produce a second flush but instead a few branches continued extending and the interior did retain its leaves.

Before Partial Defoliation
DSC06942.JPG

After Partial Defoliation
DSC06945.JPG

2021 Fall styling. I removed all the leaves, in the DFW area this species retains the majority of it leaves well into winter due to our mild winters. The goal was to give movement to the primary branching and use the new secondary branching that grew out during the summer. While styling, I maintained longer branches to maintain vigor. I also selected the best secondary branching, Overall the tree seemed more vigorous on the left side, so several secondary branching had to be removed with the hope that the energy will be better distributed next year. Still will require 1-2 growing seasons for the coarser grow to be replaced with finer interior grow.

Fall 2021 Before Styling
DSC07750.JPG

After Styling
DSC07759.JPG

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice work! This one has a good clear future! Looking forward to future updates

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Gives me some good ideas for mine, which is currently a literal bush.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice work! Sharp's are typically what some call single flush maples. In my experience, even after a good partial defoliation and cut back, they will produce buds that will stay idle for the most part until the following year.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice work! Sharp's are typically what some call single flush maples. In my experience, even after a good partial defoliation and cut back, they will produce buds that will stay idle for the most part until the following year.
That's a good tip to know, are there any other A.P's you know of with this characteristic?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a good tip to know, are there any other A.P's you know of with this characteristic?

Not to the degree of the Sharp's from the ones I have grown.

Note: Young material may respond differently. My Sharp's is quite developed and that's what I am basing my observations on.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks @MACH5 , I noticed that this year. Had to rub off several.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Any update on this tree?
Yes, still going. It did have some setbacks the past 2 years. I had to move 2 years ago and stay at an barndominium for a couple of weeks mid summer with the bonsai collection. Then last year, Texas had a massive heat wave along with a very long drought. Luckily the only thing that was lost was the fine ramification that was developing. It was repotted this spring into the same pot and appears to be waking up strong this year, so I'm hoping to startup the fine ramification again and push for interior buds. Also, will not be doing any partial defoliation to Sharp's Pygmy, they do respond with a lot of backbuds but no real ramification. I have all the backbudss that I need, so will focus on elongating growth for the season.

I'll post some pictures this week.

Top Bottom