Shimpaku From Evergreen Gardenworks

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
there is absolutely no concern here. The tree was repotted in spring. It has easily recovered from that.
Why are you so negative all the time? You never worked on raw material?

No worries @leatherback , I did ask for feedback :).

Hmm? Foliage reduced 90% and repotted. Do not junipers get strength from foliage? Repotted just months earlier. Looks like 2 strikes against tree surviving so good luck.

I'm a beginner, plenty to learn. I'm guilty of over loving trees like Lennie over-loves rabbits in "Of Mice & Men", but in this case, I've been cautious enough, I think. One abuse per year, right? Repotting in the Spring and styling 10 months later seems appropriate, but we'll see. Lucky for me, I have one strike left :).

At the apex is that small twisty branch a jin?.......I think the tree can do with out it.

I think it's called a ten-jin. I was inspired by a recent story Bjorn shared about breaking one, thought I'd give one a try. It actually looks worse in person, lol. But, ten-jins look better as the foilage fills in, I think, so I'll stay with if for a bit and see what happens.

This shimp looks good, and will be just fine.

Let's hope so. Gonna get cold later this week here in Nashville, will move it to the garage just to be careful.

Thanks for all the comments!

☮️ ♥️🌳

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, a lot...here's how I see it.

Call perfectly balanced maintenance and aesthetics the very center.

One direction leads to pushing hort boundaries for style. Where health may suffer.

One direction leads to being afraid to push hort boundaries. Where the design may suffer.

I feel like you're only one step towards pushing hort boundaries. Perfectly safe.

In this realm so close to the center, I believe different opinions matter so much more.

Perhaps in Potty's world, this is already 2 steps into more danger. Ok, he is, without demand, recommending a safer approach. Which doesn't send PLB toward design suffering, so there is absolutely nothing wrong the comment. It is highly valuable. Had he recommended such safeness that design suffers, well then he deserves to be crapped on.

For me. This styling serves no purpose. It could have been performed in spring after life is evident with no design drawbacks.

That would have allowed the proper, slightly more invasive rootwork, which should have happened first.

In this situation, all your best new roots may be growing from something that passes through that area in the air. So then what? All your new roots have to be cut off at some time, so you set yourself back far.

It's hard to tell when eagerness to style is too early when it seems done in the right order.

For me, you're in the game, but for the next year every three point shot you take will be a toe over the line, making it a 2. That's a lotta hard Defense.

I think we, as a mostly unmoderated community, should have more respect for OP's, especially where it is quite obvious due to the name of the OP, that they don't really appreciate petty hatred.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That would have allowed the proper, slightly more invasive rootwork, which should have happened first.
This I agree with. Or leave the tree alone, style and then repot. But getting feet in good substrate is my priority with new stock. This means waiting to style. But when I repot, I want the best possible result, getting rid of any rubbish that needs to come out.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Placing a lot of faith in someone who has/posts 0 trees, and whose comments are usually as out of step as Paul on Abbey Road.

This shimp looks good, and will be just fine.
👆This right here. When @Potawatomi13 posts some trees and is able to back up his posts with display of experience and skill, then I will take his concerns a bit more to heart. Until then, carry on, Peace Love. You've got a nice tree well on it's way.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Brent lists “specimens” from his nursery at times. It’s been a while since he updated the conifers page, but at one time it looked like this.
View attachment 348759
I have purchased several of his specimens and they’ve always been better than the photos depicted.
Damn .. nice juniper … and damn yeah those prices are great.. I’ve never seen more than 4 conifers on that page at once

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn .. nice juniper … and damn yeah those prices are great.. I’ve never seen more than 4 conifers on that page at once
Oh shit. Didn’t even see that pic. I’ve ordered from Brent a few times but those junipers for $150?!? That’s crazy! I do feel like I’ve gotten a few wonderful elms from him for an excellent price.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh shit. Didn’t even see that pic. I’ve ordered from Brent a few times but those junipers for $150?!? That’s crazy! I do feel like I’ve gotten a few wonderful elms from him for an excellent price.
Yeah his deciduous are more consistent.. although I know he’s had some eye surgery done this year so hopefully next season he’s more active w updating specimens. His stock is very consistent overall. Ooh which reminds me ..

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah his deciduous are more consistent.. although I know he’s had some eye surgery done this year so hopefully next season he’s more active w updating specimens. His stock is very consistent overall. Ooh which reminds me ..
Oh do tell. :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one Greg! I see the Shari, but do you have some jins in mind? I feel like once it really fills in it’ll lose its presence and almost look too healthy. If that makes sense.
Replying to my own comment. 😂 I looked back at the original styling and I personally liked the initial heavy Jin and ten Jin!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Been almost two years.

Before Work:

View attachment 455908

and after:

View attachment 455909

I think I’ll repot in the spring.
I like ze direction .. and now I’m no savant with junipers but the top branch that is facing down only critique .. in my head I twist that to the left and up then bring back down to right.. unless that branch is thicc .. then I’d idk

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Replying to my own comment. 😂 I looked back at the original styling and I personally liked the initial heavy Jin and ten Jin!
Thanks Danny.

I did remove the Jins from the top, but there’s plenty of deadwood to be found in this one.

Just needs some time to bring it out properly.

Hope you are well.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like ze direction .. and now I’m no savant with junipers but the top branch that is facing down only critique .. in my head I twist that to the left and up then bring back down to right.. unless that branch is thicc .. then I’d idk
Appreciate that feedback.

Crowns are always tough for me.

I actually had 4 branches coming off the top. I removed one. My goal is to remove another during the next update.

Hopefully that will give it a true apex design, not one that needs some tricks :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Danny.

I did remove the Jins from the top, but there’s plenty of deadwood to be found in this one.

Just needs some time to bring it out properly.

Hope you are well.
I have no doubts Greg! Can’t wait to see you develop.

Top Bottom