Small greenhouse build

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the tree area before I filled it with trees. For now they're still on the ground, I need to get the benches built. At least they're fenced in from hungry geese though. The rain barrel has been filled for a couple weeks now already so I'm thinking of hooking another to it.
20180920_185551.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the tree area before I filled it with trees. For now they're still on the ground, I need to get the benches built. At least they're fenced in from hungry geese though. The rain barrel has been filled for a couple weeks now already so I'm thinking of hooking another to it.
View attachment 210883
With a reasonable roof area, you can fill that barrel in an hour or less with a good Ohio rainfall.

D

Deleted member 21616

@wsteinhoff @JudyB

is there ever a worry that a greenhouse like this will overheat for extended periods of time (days, weeks?) due to the sun?

I'm going to be building something similar (up against my house through, and over an underground staircase). May main worry is overheating.

other than opening a window to let cool air in, is there a way to automate this?

Thank you
D

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Use a louvered cover that opens when a fan at the other end of the greenhouse kicks on. The fan turns on when the thermostat hits a certain temp.

D

Deleted member 21616

Use a louvered cover that opens when a fan at the other end of the greenhouse kicks on. The fan turns on when the thermostat hits a certain temp.

Yes, those seem to come in two varieties:

the automatic louvers, that open at around 60-75F (15-23C)

the motorized louvers, that rely on a thermostat. But can I set that thermostat to around 40F (5C)? An example of motorized louvers: https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs_shutters_vents_louvers_1;pg109812.html

I wonder if this could be used with a wifi controlled thermostat, just for the sake of monitoring and remote control.

But is overheating even a worry at all with this kind of a set-up? I'm curious if this is a worry for @JudyB or @wsteinhoff in Ohio, because if isn't a worry in Ohio it won't be a worry here in Montreal.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the greenhouse gets a significant amount of sun it can be a problem. Don't make it too complicated. If your greenhouse is tight as soon as the fan kicks on it will pull hard on the louvers. These aren't the louvers that open to the outside. These open to the inside and are opened by the suction created by fan drawing air out. The fan will need louvers on the outside as well. The fan should be controlled by a simple thermostat. They aren't real accurate but they are adjustable. Just use a thermometer to adjust it to the temp you like.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@wsteinhoff @JudyB

is there ever a worry that a greenhouse like this will overheat for extended periods of time (days, weeks?) due to the sun?

I'm going to be building something similar (up against my house through, and over an underground staircase). May main worry is overheating.

other than opening a window to let cool air in, is there a way to automate this?

Thank you
D
That is a worry. I'm going to try just opening windows and shade cloth. There's automatic openers for windows.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Looks great i cant wait till the day i can build a green house ( one day ill own and not rent lol ) , Just wondering why you didnt throw windows in the roof as well , and what direction are the windows facing ? Great build btw!!!!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks great i cant wait till the day i can build a green house ( one day ill own and not rent lol ) , Just wondering why you didnt throw windows in the roof as well , and what direction are the windows facing ? Great build btw!!!!
The windows face south. The sun comes from the south so there's really no need for them anywhere else. The goal was minimal glass to minimize temperature swings and give extra heat retention.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, those seem to come in two varieties:

the automatic louvers, that open at around 60-75F (15-23C)

the motorized louvers, that rely on a thermostat. But can I set that thermostat to around 40F (5C)? An example of motorized louvers: https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs_shutters_vents_louvers_1;pg109812.html

I wonder if this could be used with a wifi controlled thermostat, just for the sake of monitoring and remote control.

But is overheating even a worry at all with this kind of a set-up? I'm curious if this is a worry for @JudyB or @wsteinhoff in Ohio, because if isn't a worry in Ohio it won't be a worry here in Montreal.
I know I have information in this thread about what I use for this very issue. In a nutshell, I have a powered louver system in one end of the greenhouse and an exhaust fan in the other end. I have a thermostat that opens the vent and turns on the fan when it gets above my set temp. that pulls cold air in across the house. In extended warm periods it doesn't work as well as I'd like. Only a coolbot can help with that if the weather keeps getting crazier as we mover toward warmer and warmer winter periods. I have a link to my greenhouse thread here.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-cold-green-house.10624/

D

Deleted member 21616

I know I have information in this thread about what I use for this very issue. In a nutshell, I have a powered louver system in one end of the greenhouse and an exhaust fan in the other end. I have a thermostat that opens the vent and turns on the fan when it gets above my set temp. that pulls cold air in across the house. In extended warm periods it doesn't work as well as I'd like. Only a coolbot can help with that if the weather keeps getting crazier as we mover toward warmer and warmer winter periods. I have a link to my greenhouse thread here.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-cold-green-house.10624/

I really appreciate the information, and the very helpful link! I'm going to spend the rest of my coffee reading through it, thank you :)

Your thread wasn't coming up in my search because i was searching greenhouse, rather than (green) house haha! Thanks again!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So how has this held up this winter? Did you see the feared temperature swings?

Top Bottom