So frustrated after Winter in a new climate

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like he's got a great excuse to grow some larch!
Exactly what ai we as thinking Adair! I think Larch look like really cool trees, but they just flat don't do well in my area from what I know of them so I will not have one as long as I live this far South! Meanwhile, I get to have all sorts of Elms, Maples, any type of Juniper, JBP, Crepe Myrtle... Outside pretty much year round without any concern for it's health! Makes it easier on me- I have limited indoor space (and wife tolerance) for trees, so I cannot keep tropicals. I have three that I bring in- two Bougies and a Pomegranate (I let the Pom lose it's leaves for a month or two before moving it I as they are semi- tropical I guess but don't seem to like sub- freezing temps much at all). Everybody else stays outside with maybe a short move into the garage during nights where temps drop below 15 or so- IF we actually get any of those... The Crepe Myrtles are the most cold sensitive temperate trees I have I think, and they get protection any time it drops below 30..

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce I never seen anyone top a popper with a large minnow before, did it catch anything ? :rolleyes:

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce I never seen anyone top a popper with a large minnow before, did it catch anything ? :rolleyes:

ed

I don't know if that is a joke.

But I caught that lil feller on it.!

Big ones was sarcastic in my post.

Mike, I twitch em real fast and the walk the dog w/o shaving, one day I killed it with a Peacock Bass like power tug, like 20 largemouth!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if that is a joke.

But I caught that lil feller on it.!

Big ones was sarcastic in my post.

Mike, I twitch em real fast and the walk the dog w/o shaving, one day I killed it with a Peacock Bass like power tug, like 20 largemouth!

Sorce
That's how I regularly work them for Smallmouth. They hardly touch the water on a retrieve. I am into ripping toads across lily pads for the Largemouths.
Good stuff. Getting my boat ready for opening day next weekend!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We fished again yesterday and struck out. The boys still had a blast and we saw a ton of frogs, turtles, bugs, etc. Plenty of excitement for a 4 and 6 year old. We got plenty muddy too much to my wife's delight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 7

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel your pain. I'm trying to learn how to over winter maples. Last year I had a couple tridents that didn't make it through the winter. I kept them outside with snow over the pots, but I think some bad winds got to them. That and I thought I could do some root work and repot them in their ragged state. Never popped a single bud, but they stayed green under the bark until the summer.

I had one trident purchase last year that I kept in a shed over the winter. I put it in a storage tote with snow in it. Didn't let it dry out. Buds look the same as last years dead trees, but I'm hoping it's a late bloomer. If not I think I'll give up on the tridents and concentrate on hardier species until I can afford a green house (yeah right!).

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I plan on making a small shelter next year by staking in the ground, wrapping with chicken wire, and cover with plastic. I'll make it so thag I can access them to water but I think that will help. I have a garage but im not sure how I could water them without making a huge mess.

Top Bottom