Some "too little" fun

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Been trying to sift through all my random, unorganized, and sporadic photos of my trees (anyone want to share if they have a specific schedule for photographing individual trees to track progress?) and decided to share a short progression of this Ficus "too little" that I've been messing around with.

The earliest picture I could find of this tree is a bad quality photo from 2021 some time after I potted it out of a nursery can into a ceramic container around spring of 2021. For the sake of mostly seeing what would happen, I left one of the big tuberous roots that these ficus are famous for partially raised out of the soil line.
20230311_095424.jpg
fast forward past a hard chop the summer after repotting, a couple wires at some point, and a few different stressful environment changes, this guy has kept on chugging. This next photo is it showing some signs of life this past winter while dialing in overwintering inside in a new place.
DSC01050.JPG
What originally drew me to this tree was the unique scarring/deadwoodish texture along the trunk. I'm not sure how long it will last given how aggressively ficus can grow, but figured I'd keep this guy small and enjoy it while it lasts! As you can see the root that I left exposed has barked up well and transitions nicely with the trunk texture. I'm planning on repotting it next year and burying it a bit deeper with the rocks since they sit on top of the soil currently as well as trying to encourage roots to grow over the small rocks to the left. Earlier this spring while getting ready to put it outside for the season, I decided to add some more wire to compact down the apex a bit.DSC01084.JPG
since then it has grown well and really filled in. I'm still tweaking a few primary branches into place, but it's close to being mostly clip and grow at this point. This guy doesn't quite shade himself enough for the moss to survive in the full sun yet.
DSC01144.JPG
Today I put on a couple more wires to pull a few branches down to get some more separation and too fill in the canopy behind the trunk a bit to highlight it. Still working on getting better at taking decent pictures of my trees, but in person, in 3d, this guy is really coming together.
IMG_20230803_142552797.jpg

Enjoy and feel free to share any thoughts/critiques on this little guy, I've definitely enjoyed working with it the past few years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I tend to "try" to snap a pic whenever I do anything major to a tree, but I have a bad habit of getting too caught up in the "doing" of the actual work to think about taking pictures. Though I did just get a new phone with obscene amounts of storage with the intention of getting better about it... I'm hoping to get at least a couple pictures of each tree per year because I've definitely liked seeing how far some of my projects have come

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Took some wire off, put some wire on, forgot to take a before pic again
IMG_20231106_103858034~2.jpg

Trimmed off some shoots here and there, but nothing too crazy
IMG_20231106_104356565~2.jpg

This one's going into a bigger pot next year to start sorting out the roots. I'm sure it's filled the pot by now

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I need to set up a backdrop, the door step results in horrible pics, well il blame the steps lol.
My biggest problem with picture storage is not deleting the multiple pics, what's ones to keep.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I need to set up a backdrop, the door step results in horrible pics, well il blame the steps lol.
My biggest problem with picture storage is not deleting the multiple pics, what's ones to keep.
I try to save to an album.
If I can think to start a photo album (progression) right away, I save a lot of time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The white rental walls have been working for me for now lol, though I'm hoping to get something figured out for an outdoor space to get some better lighting.

I'm about due to sort through the season's worth of random pictures I've taken and sort them out into some tree specific folders I've started on my computer. Since I've started this thread, I've only gotten marginally better at getting pictures of individual trees. Still probably a few random ones that have no photographic evidence that they exist 😂

Top Bottom