Somehow I Screwed UP Annealing My Copper Wire

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As always, another good article from Brent.

Here's another link with pictures and a fun/stinky/messy method for cleaning it.

http://www.thebonsaicast.com/how-to-make-your-own-bonsai-wire-annealing-copper/

I annealed some ground wire (already bare). Some was awesome and some got a little too brittle. I would buy it next time, but it was worth doing once just to watch the pretty colors! Also, it is a good reason to break out the marshmallows!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 16

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As always, another good article from Brent.

Here's another link with pictures and a fun/stinky/messy method for cleaning it.

http://www.thebonsaicast.com/how-to-make-your-own-bonsai-wire-annealing-copper/

Just updated for broken link. As I was looking back for wire pickle recipe (1 cup vinegar, 2tbsp salt, “pot” of water [Volume undefined] and bring to boil).
https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...o-make-your-own-bonsai-wire-annealing-copper/

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update on my personal experience: This September, I unwired and re-wired my big spruce. A lot of the wire was biting in, so I had to unwind it. I ended up with a lot of useable lengths, so I decided to try annealing it. I threw all the pieces on my gas grill for about 15 minutes, then air quenched them. I got to try them out shortly afterwards and they worked just fine - went on nice and soft. And the surface wasn’t real messy, either.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Folks,
I’m kinda new to Bonsai, with more of a tech background, and am getting really confused about annealing. Isn’t the bare copper electrical wire at Lowe’s, Home Depot and McLendons already annealed?
Has the International electrical standard recently been changed?
Or is cooper Bonsai wire somehow treated differently?
Cheers js sends
See quote below about electrical standard:
(Because of its superior conductivity, (100%) annealedcopper became the international standard to which all other electrical conductors are compared. In 1913, the International Electrotechnical Commission defined the conductivity of commercially pure copper in its International Annealed Copper Standard....)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Folks,
I’m kinda new to Bonsai, with more of a tech background, and am getting really confused about annealing. Isn’t the bare copper electrical wire at Lowe’s, Home Depot and McLendons already annealed?
Has the International electrical standard recently been changed?
Or is cooper Bonsai wire somehow treated differently?
Cheers js sends
See quote below about electrical standard:
(Because of its superior conductivity, (100%) annealedcopper became the international standard to which all other electrical conductors are compared. In 1913, the International Electrotechnical Commission defined the conductivity of commercially pure copper in its International Annealed Copper Standard....)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are degrees of annealing. Ideal wire for bonsai is "butter soft", will initially bend with no resistance, then work harden to rather stiff as applied. Wire for electrical trade is much stiffer, won't bend as easily. Has to do with the temperature and length of time the wire was annealed at.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just read through this again and was wondering about Jim Gremel. Why does his website no longer exist? Is there a way to reach him?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just read through this again and was wondering about Jim Gremel. Why does his website no longer exist? Is there a way to reach him?
I tried emailing him a few months ago and never got a response. I was at a class with Jonas last month and he came up. The consensus was that, you should feel lucky if you get a response from him. Peter Tea is selling wire now and I got a response from him in less than 12 hours.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can still get excellent wire through Julian Adams’s website. A guy named Jeremiah McKinney is managing the wire now and he is very responsive and timely.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried emailing him a few months ago and never got a response. I was at a class with Jonas last month and he came up. The consensus was that, you should feel lucky if you get a response from him. Peter Tea is selling wire now and I got a response from him in less than 12 hours.
Jim is unfortunately having some health issues.

Top Bottom