Sos!!! I am confused and panicked, help please!!!

Tsveta

Seedling
Reaction score
Guys, I've had this Chinese Elm for three weeks now. It was going great the first week turning all new buds into healthy leaves. Then some of the leaves had white tiny spots appearing. It took me two weeks to realise with the help of some of you that I probably have spider mites, which makes sense as I saw spider webs on the bonsai but didn't make much of it... Meanwhile, I wanted to leave the tree grow all its leaves before pruning, so I haven't done so yet, thus it looks a bit wild and by now I think sun cannot penetrate on the inside but for what I see, the tree is weak and not in a good shape so it's not a great time for pruning. I also had some leaves turning yellow then I gave it a bit more water (as in more frequently), the problem corrected for about 5-6 days (as in yellow leaves felt and it seemed OK) and then I watered again after which a third of the leaves turned yellow overnight!!!! Now both yellow and green leaves fall when touched! I THINK I'm watering correctly, i.e. when it's dried up between waterings but not completely then I give it two rounds of watering within 10-15 mins until water runs down the drain...

Now I am panicked and confused...
1. Are the yellow leaves because of bad watering or because of the spider mites? Am I giving too much or too little water?
2. Should I prune now?
3. Should I spray against spider mites and with what? I was advised by Dario to use 50% water 50% milk and 2 squirt of dishwashing liquid...
4. Which one of the above should I do first and how much should I wait between any of them before proceeding to the next step?

All help will be much appreciated!! THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

Attachments

• WP_20130511_012.jpg
    WP_20130511_012.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20130519_003.jpg
    WP_20130519_003.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20130519_005.jpg
    WP_20130519_005.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 50

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Guys, I've had this Chinese Elm for three weeks now. It was going great the first week turning all new buds into healthy leaves. Then some of the leaves had white tiny spots appearing. It took me two weeks to realise with the help of some of you that I probably have spider mites, which makes sense as I saw spider webs on the bonsai but didn't make much of it... Meanwhile, I wanted to leave the tree grow all its leaves before pruning, so I haven't done so yet, thus it looks a bit wild and by now I think sun cannot penetrate on the inside but for what I see, the tree is weak and not in a good shape so it's not a great time for pruning. I also had some leaves turning yellow then I gave it a bit more water (as in more frequently), the problem corrected for about 5-6 days (as in yellow leaves felt and it seemed OK) and then I watered again after which a third of the leaves turned yellow overnight!!!! Now both yellow and green leaves fall when touched! I THINK I'm watering correctly, i.e. when it's dried up between waterings but not completely then I give it two rounds of watering within 10-15 mins until water runs down the drain...

Now I am panicked and confused...
1. Are the yellow leaves because of bad watering or because of the spider mites? Am I giving too much or too little water?
2. Should I prune now?
3. Should I spray against spider mites and with what? I was advised by Dario to use 50% water 50% milk and 2 squirt of dishwashing liquid...
4. Which one of the above should I do first and how much should I wait between any of them before proceeding to the next step?

All help will be much appreciated!! THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

Bugs are part of bonsai your tree looks healthy otherwise so don't panic. I use chemical insecticides so can't offer advice to the organic solution.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not sure why Dario suggested mixing milk into the spray, I've never heard of such a thing. This is what I use:

1. Take a gallon of water
2. Add 1 or 2 TBS of dishwashing detergent
3. Add 1 TBS of vegetable oil
4. Mix well

Then, pour it into a spray bottle. Before you spray, add a cap full or two of rubbing alcohol, then spray the tree.

Tsveta

Seedling
Reaction score
Not sure why Dario suggested mixing milk into the spray, I've never heard of such a thing. This is what I use:

1. Take a gallon of water
2. Add 1 or 2 TBS of dishwashing detergent
3. Add 1 TBS of vegetable oil
4. Mix well

Then, pour it into a spray bottle. Before you spray, add a cap full or two of rubbing alcohol, then spray the tree.

"Be careful using oil on your mix with elm. I read they can react rather negatively. If you must, try it on a branch you don't mind loosing leaves on first." Dario
That's what Dario told me, seems like he's heard that oil is no good, but if you have any personal experience with the spray above on spider mites, I can try it on a branch and see how it reacts... Is sunflower oil or olive oil to be counted as vegetable oil?? And when you say rubbing alcohol, I suppose that is to indicate strong spirit, right? Thanks a lot!!

Tsveta

Seedling
Reaction score
Bugs are part of bonsai your tree looks healthy otherwise so don't panic. I use chemical insecticides so can't offer advice to the organic solution.

Thanks, you think it will bounce back? Is it cause of bugs that my leaves are yellow?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can also just purchase insecticidal soap spray. It's pretty much the least harsh of insecticides, and it's basically what everyone is telling you to mix. But if you are unsure of what to use, just buy a bottle. Some plants are more sensitive to oils than others. Elms I've found to be pretty ok with soap, fukien tea trees on the other hand hate it. To be safe, you can always spray the foliage top and bottom, saturating well, and rinse off with a gentle water spray in 5 minutes, or after it's mostly dry. It will take care of the bugs, and then not leave the residue on the leaves. Please stop being so panicky with your trees. You'll frighten them to death...:cool:
It's an elm. It may well loose all it's leaves, and then push out a whole new flush. Just make sure you are watering properly.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think Dario may be referring to things like horticultural oils. Carl Rosner uses this spray on all of his trees with no ill affects except for his Jade trees.

Tsveta

Seedling
Reaction score
Please stop being so panicky with your trees. You'll frighten them to death...:cool:
It's an elm. It may well loose all it's leaves, and then push out a whole new flush. Just make sure you are watering properly.

:D You're probably right, I go too far!! I'll try and relax, it's just that I've never been successful so for with bonsais and I want to make it really badly! They are sooo pretty! But overdoing it won't help, you're right! Thanks for the cool tip! :)))

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks so much!!

I don't personally have experience with this stuff on elms, so I'd just double check with someone who has used something similar before attacking the thing.

Sometimes a hard spray with a hose is all it takes.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Where are you keeping this bonsai? Not inside is it? If so this is probably the reason for the yellowing leaves.

Reaction score
You can also just purchase insecticidal soap spray. It's pretty much the least harsh of insecticides, and it's basically what everyone is telling you to mix. But if you are unsure of what to use, just buy a bottle. Some plants are more sensitive to oils than others. Elms I've found to be pretty ok with soap, fukien tea trees on the other hand hate it. To be safe, you can always spray the foliage top and bottom, saturating well, and rinse off with a gentle water spray in 5 minutes, or after it's mostly dry. It will take care of the bugs, and then not leave the residue on the leaves. Please stop being so panicky with your trees. You'll frighten them to death...:cool:

In my opinion a little cooking oil and nem oil liquid is very effective

Tsveta

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you keeping this bonsai? Not inside is it? If so this is probably the reason for the yellowing leaves.

No, I've kept it outside from the very beginning. It is exposed on 4-5 hours of morning sun then it's only shade throughout the day. I was concerned that the sun is too strong as it gets really hot here around his time of year but consulted people here and they told me it shouldn't be a problem at all and that trees like sun...

Top Bottom