Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@HorseloverFat how are the rubrum seeds doing? Anything popping up?
But those osage oranges... MAN!

...I took cuttings... they blasted a bunch of escaping roots within 10 days!

So my parents now have a few to take with to Florida, to start their "living fence".

I'm enjoying them so much as a plant.. that I haven't even begun to contemplate "TinyTree" implications...

🤓

Thank you, again!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But those osage oranges... MAN!

...I took cuttings... they blasted a bunch of escaping roots within 10 days!

So my parents now have a few to take with to Florida, to start their "living fence".

I'm enjoying them so much as a plant.. that I haven't even begun to contemplate "TinyTree" implications...

🤓

Thank you, again!
That’s awesome! How did you do the cuttings? I didn’t realize they rooted so fast. Ive up potted a couple hoping to produce straight trees to make a bow from eventually.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s awesome! How did you do the cuttings? I didn’t realize they rooted so fast. Ive up potted a couple hoping to produce straight trees to make a bow from eventually.
My (SemiHardwood)cuttings method is fairly simple..

Semi-hardwood...

6-8" AT LEAST (CAN be bigger) 'whips', left with foliage, in water, for 24ish hours

2/3 foliage AT LEAST (Lots of times MORE) removed.

Two Vertical wound lines are then sliced through bark/and cambium layer on "down end". (About 1/2" for 6-10" whips)

Dipped in hormone (or not), excess removed and cutting allowed to "dry" for 1-3 minutes.

Cutting soil is pre-wet...

Cuttings are inserted AT LEAST 1/2 of their length into soil...

Then throw them in the cold-frame/hot-box, start transitioning out into mostly shade at 10 days...

It appears to be working... On everything I took cuttings of this year.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My (SemiHardwood)cuttings method is fairly simple..

Semi-hardwood...

6-8" AT LEAST (CAN be bigger) 'whips', left with foliage, in water, for 24ish hours

2/3 foliage AT LEAST (Lots of times MORE) removed.

Two Vertical wound lines are then sliced through bark/and cambium layer on "down end". (About 1/2" for 6-10" whips)

Dipped in hormone (or not), excess removed and cutting allowed to "dry" for 1-3 minutes.

Cutting soil is pre-wet...

Cuttings are inserted AT LEAST 1/2 of their length into soil...

Then throw them in the cold-frame/hot-box, start transitioning out into mostly shade at 10 days...

It appears to be working... On everything I took cuttings of this year.
Very nice! Thank you. I guess it makes sense that they root easily, they are in the mulberry family along with figs and ficus.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice! Thank you. I guess it makes sense that they root easily, they are in the mulberry family along with figs and ficus.
A bow'd be sweet!!!

I wonder if a stringed neck, would be possible..

Like guitar or mandolin..

Or bass... or cello..

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can actually make a bow with a twisted and gnarled piece. It strangely doesn’t affect its ability to shoot.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got 2 red maples I haven't had to prune to much this year the deer keeps doing it for me. I guess I'm going for the o natural look.
Yall keep up the good work I'm learning.
You can actually make a bow with a twisted and gnarled piece. It strangely doesn’t affect its ability to shoot.
I agree with you that Norway is a weed . Horse boy talked me into putting a couple in pots instead of just running them over with the lawnmower . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂😂😂 hate to be left out . 😂 but brings up the point . Norway is accepted as bonsai . After the Europeans started playing with it . But North American Naples are relocated to the garbage pile as unsuitable .

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bow'd be sweet!!!

I wonder if a stringed neck, would be possible..

Like guitar or mandolin..

Or bass... or cello..
As part of my primitive archery kit my goal is to harvest an animal with 100% natural hand made bow and arrow. I already make my own arrows with local river cane and points i knapp out of the local rhyolite. Bound with sinew and pine pitch. All I’m missing is a gnarley Osage bow to complete the set😁

Attachments

• DD1ACC3F-0587-4F0C-8A18-D7BD70E8FD45.jpeg
    DD1ACC3F-0587-4F0C-8A18-D7BD70E8FD45.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 55E59657-E3A9-4F14-B685-8F7FBE587C15.jpeg
    55E59657-E3A9-4F14-B685-8F7FBE587C15.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 25

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As part of my primitive archery kit my goal is to harvest an animal with 100% natural hand made bow and arrow. I already make my own arrows with local river cane and points i knapp out of the local rhyolite. Bound with sinew and pine pitch. All I’m missing is a gnarley Osage bow to complete the set😁
Now that’s cool my friend what are you planning to make the bow out of

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seen a really nice homemade compound bow once . I don’t hunt so no idea how to design. His had a handle section carved from Moose bone . Then the arm or bendable wood section was . Sugar maple The wheels hand cast out of brass .

Top Bottom