Sticky stuff

Reaction score
Thanks Dirk en Judy, there are indeed a little lighter than stone. These ones i wanted to be as flat as possible, I think 2 kilo. Ed's slab weights around 40 kilo. Finished that one yesterday.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's difficult to really see the details in the photo. If you are able to see details like in the lighter colored ones you've made then it should be well appreciated. All in all though, I really like your work.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They just keep getting better and Better Ruben!

Every time I see these slabs I have to think about the trees @Walter Pall has from the mountains. I think they might pair quite nicely.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BRAVO!
I have been doing a lot of experimenting with making my own slabs/pots/ rock forms, etc. Ruben, you have a big thumbs up from me.
I have found layering and layering is important, IMO, and the texture and color really make it pop!
hopefully, like everything, practicing and practicing, I will have some with your quality.
The pic, with the thumbs up, and your leaning on that large slab is MINT!! Keep it Coming, love the inspiration!!

Reaction score
BRAVO!
I have been doing a lot of experimenting with making my own slabs/pots/ rock forms, etc. Ruben, you have a big thumbs up from me.
I have found layering and layering is important, IMO, and the texture and color really make it pop!
hopefully, like everything, practicing and practicing, I will have some with your quality.
The pic, with the thumbs up, and your leaning on that large slab is MINT!! Keep it Coming, love the inspiration!!
Thanks for your nice comment. I had some trouble with drying, little cracks. Im drying now for 3 day under plastic. For texture i still using different tools ( tablespoons, sponges, carving tools.) still improving. Got some iron sand form someone, curious how that works.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
bummer there is no aluminum cement in Chile. At least I haven't been able to find it.

Reaction score
bummer there is no aluminum cement in Chile. At least I haven't been able to find it.
You can use tile adhesive (tile glue) i find it hard too get the right color. I will make a small rock from tile adhesive and take pictures off it and post it here.

Reaction score
Ok, so this is how i make them.

Build a solid frame.
IMG_8423.jpg
Start at the bottom, let i dry. Bring on a new layer and repeat it. Don't ad too much at once, it will break and fall down.
IMG_8425.jpg
IMG_8427.jpg
IMG_8431.jpg
Now the fun part. Mix some color pigment in. Use a brush, sponge or your wife toothbrush and push it on too your rock. Fill up the open spaces.
Try too make look natural.
IMG_8432.jpg
IMG_8433.jpg
IMG_8439.jpg
You can work for hours and hours, playing with colors, texture and form. I hope it will inspire you! Have fun.

I'll still work on this one, but this are the basics.

Top Bottom