Suthin Shimp

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Shimpaku. I liked both versions, "natural" and "unnatural."

The misconception that bonsai is simply imitating nature is common.

It is, however, like saying Davinci was only trying to copy the Mona Lisa's smile. It only scratches the surface.

Bonsai is an art. It is more completely about the artists' interpretation of nature. If it were all about simple replication and miniaturization of scenery, you'd be doing Garden Railroading.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai is an art. It is more completely about the artists' interpretation of nature. If it were all about simple replication and miniaturization of scenery, you'd be doing Garden Railroading.

I think you're simplifying the act of making a live, scale tree. What I'm finding is that this is my interpretation. Quite literal, but my interpretation nonetheless.

A lot of people also think that building model cars accurately in scale is easy--you'd be quickly surprised. It is as much an art form as bonsai is.

Daniel

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The tree is truly magnificent.......... Suthin Sukosolvisit is, without question, one of the greatest masters in America today... Suthin was my first bonsai teacher and I visited his nursery for many years when it was operating. The ones that have been fortunate enough to work with Suthin will tell you he is one of this generations greatest artists. He has a quality that sets him apart from many other masters. His ability to literally become at one with the tree he works on and holds the tree in his hands. I have witnessed it and many others that have witnessed this in person will tell you the exact same thing and/or know exactly what I am talking about.....

On another note....There was some discussion about the natural look for this tree and creating bonsai that look like trees in nature.. Although this principle does apply to a point..This particular tree could not be left "natural" for a couple reasons, most importantly, horticultural reasons. If left natural, certain parts of the tree would die because light and air circulation would not be able to penetrate the interior sections of the tree. Also, without proper pruning, the tree would send energy into places that may not be the best for the tree. You may eventually be left with a tree with thick lush foliage on the top, yet thin, weak and dying back branches on the bottom. Thirdly, structure. The tree now has good structure, so it will be much easier to maintain. If left "natural, you would never be able to maintain the shape of the tree. This tree is now beautiful and it's future health has been put on the right road.

In essence its all about health and beauty, they go together... This tree will stay healthy from this pruning, ergo, stay beautiful.

I hope this explanation was helpful

Rob

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree is truly magnificent.......... Suthin Sukosolvisit is, without question, one of the greatest masters in America today... Suthin was my first bonsai teacher and I visited his nursery for many years when it was operating. The ones that have been fortunate enough to work with Suthin will tell you he is one of this generations greatest artists. He has a quality that sets him apart from many other masters. His ability to literally become at one with the tree he works on and holds the tree in his hands. I have witnessed it and many others that have witnessed this in person will tell you the exact same thing and/or know exactly what I am talking about.....

On another note....There was some discussion about the natural look for this tree and creating bonsai that look like trees in nature.. Although this principle does apply to a point..This particular tree could not be left "natural" for a couple reasons, most importantly, horticultural reasons. If left natural, certain parts of the tree would die because light and air circulation would not be able to penetrate the interior sections of the tree. Also, without proper pruning, the tree would send energy into places that may not be the best for the tree. You may eventually be left with a tree with thick lush foliage on the top, yet thin, weak and dying back branches on the bottom. Thirdly, structure. The tree now has good structure, so it will be much easier to maintain. If left "natural, you would never be able to maintain the shape of the tree. This tree is now beautiful and it's future health has been put on the right road.

In essence its all about health and beauty, they go together... This tree will stay healthy from this pruning, ergo, stay beautiful.

I hope this explanation was helpful

Rob

I can see that, Rob. Thank you for that explanation. Is this (circulation and general health of the tree) where this type of "interpretation" came into being?

Daniel

TimZ8

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
October,
Very good observation. The tree was loosing inside foliage when I bought it, hence the major thinning by me and Shane. Since then I have been able to get some back budding that the tree really needed. You can see the benefit of patients and good pruning, not just by me but both Shane and Suthin who have helped me with the tree.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Tim

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Turn the Stallion loose on it and you wouldn't believe the transformation, if you want a Japanese look. If you are happy with the style it is now, great. It's a tree without a style that you can hang a handle on, it is what it is, which is very nice, but definately not styled in the traditional Japanese style, but I still like it.

Keep it green,
Harry

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello daniel.........I believe you are asking me if the Japanese athetics of bonsai evolved from horticultural practices to preserve the health of the tree. I am not sure there is an answer to this. I think ( if this makes sense ) They both work seperately, but also work together.. The aesthetics were put in place and in order to create and keep them, certain horticultural practices have been put in place...

I don't believe that bonsai was born from just horticultural principles per say... But rather it is there to make sure the tree is at its healthiest for as long as it lives.. Knowledge of tree anatomy is extremely important in bonsai, it is a necessity. So basically, the creation of a bonsai involves knowing was is aesthetically pleasing, but also knowing how to create it based on horticulture. The 2 are constantly intertwined.

On an opinion oriented note... I personally love all aspects of bonsai, traditional, non traditional, natural etc....... I have always subscribed to the theaory to make each tree the best it can be. It does not have to be a world class specimen, but just a nice tree in general. I also, believe that one must have several years in bonsai and have been quit involved in the art before one can make up their mind based on experience. You cannot rebel against tradition if you do not have a strong knowledge of what tradition actually entails.

Also, if you are lookign for something that closely resembles the look of a full size tree, you could explore penjing. Penjing is the chinese art of growing miniature landscapes. Whether a single tree or a nature scene. It is the art that bonsai was adopted from. However, make no mistake, it can be an incredibly difficult art to master. Just because it apears more natural, it does not mean that it does not take 5-10 even 20 years to achieve the looks that the chinese perfected in these miniature landscapes.

I hope this was helpful.

Rob

Top Bottom