USDA Zone
GLP.

Great last post!

That time is impressive!

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree, it’s the one that really set my bonsai addiction. How heavy is it?

Thanks Stormwater. And sorry to be the one getting you addicted! It is all downhill from here :p

It is on the heavy side but can be carried by one person without much trouble specially short distances.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing the tree as it appeared in the 6th USNBE commemorative album. Many thanks to Bill, Joe Noga and scores of other people that helped make this as stunningly beautiful as always.

Unfortunately, in the process of photographing my tree, one small back branch was bent down and the tree was photographed as is. It is the one that clearly juts out from the bottom of the first branch. So when you look at it, please place one finger over it and enjoy! 😉

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 94

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sharing the tree as it appeared in the 6th USNBE commemorative album. Many thanks to Bill, Joe Noga and scores of other people that helped make this as stunningly beautiful as always.

Unfortunately, in the process of photographing my tree, one small back branch was bent down and the tree was photographed as is. It is the one that clearly juts out from the bottom of the first branch. So when you look at it, please place one finger over it and enjoy! 😉
What a great honor, Sergio. Congrats!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Working on this thuja today. Filling in nicely!

Hard to believe this was the same tree back in 2004 when it was recently collected.

(photo credit: Suthin Sukosolvisit)
I’m curious how that cascading branch was initially pulled down. Split then bent?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well Suthin never reveals his secrets but that branch was most likely pulled down by using raffia and wire. It does not look like it was split or notched at any point. It's sort of remarkable how he was able to twist and bend down that thick branch and make it look so natural. In fact I always thought that's how the tree was collected but when he sent me pics of it, you can see how much he did!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Well Suthin never reveals his secrets but that branch was most likely pulled down by using raffia and wire. It does not look like it was split or notched at any point. It's sort of remarkable how he was able to twist and bend down that thick branch and make it look so natural. In fact I always thought that's how the tree was collected but when he sent me pics of it, you can see how much he did!
Very interesting ! Thanks. I’ve noticed how playable thuja are, but damn. How cool is that. Nick Lenz’s book indicates not to notch also. I wonder if that vein of Shari is a clue.

I’ve got a thuja to play with, its got a couple of thick branches I was just going to Jin. I’m going to see what I come up with (”I” being all the awesome ideas and techniques people share here).

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Sergio - This is one of my top 5 trees of all time, and it inspired me to get a collected thuja earlier this year. If it's not too much to ask, would you mind outlining your pruning strategy for thuja to increase ramification? Do you prune during the growing season at all? Thanks again, and keep up the incredible work!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It has been a while since my last update. This tree was left to grow for a couple of years. It was now time to bring it back into the studio for another styling session. Heavy pruning to open up the canopy, wire and a good cleaning up of the deadwood has brought back its shine once more.

With a heavy heart I recently sold this tree. It's now going to a good home to continue its bonsai journey. I am now looking forward to other material and new challenges.

Before the work began.

IMG_9545 copy.jpg

After the work.

THUJA August 2023.jpg

A few additional pics.

IMG_4076 copy.jpg

IMG_4042 copy.jpg

IMG_4101 copy.jpg

IMG_4045 copy.jpg

IMG_4043 copy.jpg

Top Bottom