Suthin special!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay I reworked it a little bit last night, is this a little better?
Yes and no. The right side looks a little better. The left, it looks like you didn't remove the smaller black wire when you replaced the heavier brown wire. So now the brown wire is crossing over (going in the opposite spiral direction, too) the black wire. It's hard to correct wiring without removing all of it.

A part of your problem is the brown wire doesn't seem to be large enough to do the job. So you're doubling up. To be honest with you, since you're using aluminum, and ficus is kinda springy, it looks to me that you should be using that brown wire where you have the black wire. And use a heavier wire where you have the brown wire now.

I believe Colin's tutorial shows how a thicker single wire works better than doubling up two thinner wires.

One final thing: I see you cut off the old wire. Aluminum is really soft, you probably could have saved it by unwinding it. Grab an end with Jin pliers, and use them as leverage to spin it off. Then you can straighten it back out and reuse it. To get all the curls out, with a pair of pliers in each hand, grab an end of the wire with each pliers. Bring your hands together in front of your chest, then jerk your hands out wide. The wire will be remarkably straight!

You can do this with copper, too, but it needs to be reannealed.

Top Bottom