tamarix in training

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After trimming and wiring.
As you can see, I left few branches at the lower part of the tree as sacrified branches. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1347.jpg
    DSC_1347.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_1349.jpg
    DSC_1349.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 128

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
update on this tree!
Pic. 1: it was on 9/4/2010
Pic.2, 3: on 12/6/2010, its leaves changed to copper color!
Pic.4: today, many branches are showing the flower clusters. Ready for the flowering show :p
I'm looking for the pot for it this year.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1659.jpg
    DSC_1659.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_1815.jpg
    DSC_1815.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_1820.jpg
    DSC_1820.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_1826.jpg
    DSC_1826.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 121

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Bonhe

Your tree is looking good, I'm still sorry I never collected one while living 25km from the Orange river valley, I saw many natural rafts, just never had a big enough pot!
And strictly speaking it would be illegal:rolleyes:

They also had roots up to 10m long going all directions in the river sand, little or no feeder roots at the base.
I've heard they can stand loosing most of their roots, I just never made the effort....

Cheers
Gerhard

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh man, that is going to be spectacular! What color are the flowers? Great job, cant wait to see it potted and flowering. -=Brian=-

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Gerhard.
Yeah, its root spreads very far to search for the water! Its cutting is very successful even though the large cutting.

Thanks Brian.
Its flowers have light pink color and very tiny. Below picture was taken last year.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1290.jpg
    DSC_1290.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 117

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Bonhe

Yeah, its root spreads very far to search for the water! Its cutting is very successful even though the large cutting.
I guess that does it, I'm planning a fishing trip during the coming winter, might as well collect one.

My grandmother loved these trees (called 'salt bush' locally), and they bring back memories of holidays at the coast - best reason to get one.:cool:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
My neighbor has one in his flower bed that he has tried to kill probably 6 times in the last three years. He chops it down and a few weeks later it has put on about a foot. Perhaps I will go take it off his hands...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe

I guess that does it, I'm planning a fishing trip during the coming winter, might as well collect one.

My grandmother loved these trees (called 'salt bush' locally), and they bring back memories of holidays at the coast - best reason to get one.:cool:
It's a very good reason to get one Gerhard

My neighbor has one in his flower bed that he has tried to kill probably 6 times in the last three years. He chops it down and a few weeks later it has put on about a foot. Perhaps I will go take it off his hands...
You should Milehigh_7

Hi Bonhe, yours are waking up early! Nice! Mines are all dormant still.
Hi Si, your tree has been placed in the shade area, hasn't it? The reason I said so is that your area is always warmer than mine in the winter, and cooler than mine in the summer.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Lord that is nice! Well worth the time and thank you for sharing! ;)

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy.
I think the tamarix is one of the most consumed time trees to work with. I always joke with my teacher that if you don't like someone, give him or her a tamarix to take care!
Bonhe

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the tamarix is one of the most consumed time trees to work with. I always joke with my teacher that if you don't like someone, give him or her a tamarix to take care!

That made me smile - you are correct in that statement and it is why I appreciate what I see in yours so much!

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also brought another one out to do some work this morning.
1.png

Warning to whoever wants to get tamarix for bonsai. You should have only one or two at most. It is aggressively growing and we will have a hard time to keep it up.
Bonhe

Top Bottom