Tamarix gallica

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...i have access to some of these and have been contemplating trying one for a while.
They propagate very easily by hard wood cuttings, even of a great diameter.
Just put them into a jar with water (willow water it's said to contain rooting hormones) which you should change every now and then and it will sprout roots very soon.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tamarix grows aggressively! Yes, it does!
Was collected end of 2017 and came to my ownership last May 2018. The plastic bowl/pot was placed on to a jardinière and a couple of weeks ago I tried to remove the bowl in order to wire some branches. Well, what do you think? Roots had escaped into the soil of the jardinière! Strangely those roots were so stiff like wire!
View attachment 212819 Here are some of them.

Hi Alexandra,
I don't know why I missed this post for a while!?
I hope you did not throw away the roots. They have fantastic shape for root cutting
Your tree is having very good progression! Keep doing whatever you did, then you will have an excellent tree in no time.
My teacher, Mr. Ota, just sold a bunch of very beautiful tamarix prebonsai last year. He could not keep up with tamarix anymore due to their aggressive behavior growth! He has only one established bonsai left.

Dunno. I know they flower in my whereabouts. I have another one in the garden that does flower.
It is all about the pruning time. If you keep pruning the tree after Spring, you won't have flowers. The flowers appears on one year old shoots.
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello, Thụ Thoại!
Thank you for taking the time to post @bonhe
During the change of pot there was no need to cut any big/bigger roots. The collector had got rid of them at the time of collection, obviously. The tree had lots of hairy roots.
As you can see, I am maintaining the branches long -for the time being- because I want them to gain girth.

Top Bottom