months to years. Focus - yeah.
Good Day
Anthony

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lots of people post variations of the “I only grow bonsai for me, I don’t grow bonsai to enter shows” mantra.

I think you should show your bonsai. It will make you better. You will learn to look at your trees more discerningly, more objectively. You will be motivated to do the little tasks that collectively move the tree(s) up in quality. You will pay more attention to your wiring if you know others will be looking at it to rate your skills. You will “wire every twig” because you won’t want that wayward, awkward, little branch to spoil your perfect pads. You will pay attention to your watering so you won’t have a tree with leaf curls. You will learn to pot better so the tree sits at the correct place in the pot, at the right height. You will learn to choose pots to best feature the tree’s attributes.

Showing will force you to pay more attention to all the little details. And it IS the details that matter. The details separate the average hobbiests from the Masters.

Speaking for myself, I would find it very easy to skip some of the exacting work, tedious work, that it takes to produce show quality trees, if I did not actually show my trees. It’s SO easy to see a flaw, and say to myself, “Oh, I see that! I can fix it! It just takes a piece of wire. I’ll do it next time I restyle the tree.” And a year later, it hasn’t been done! And the branch is thicker, harder to move.

Al is saying much the same thing with his statement of how he “works” his trees. He and I may differ if our techniques, but we agree that to excel in bonsai, the trees need to have the “little things” done consistently and often.
Very inspiring Adair!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When a traditional painter plans a painting. it can take
months to years. Focus - yeah.
Good Day
Anthony
Leonardo carried the Mona Lisa around with him wherever he went!

Bonsai trees are never stagnant, they’re constantly changing. They could be getting better, or worse. Never the same.

Many will say they don’t want a “finished” tree. No worries, they never are until they’re dead.

There is not a single bonsai in the world that cannot be “improved”.

Anthony, I’m sorry you guys had bad experiences showing your trees. I maintain that the problem is your culture, not in the “show”. My experience is entirely different! I have made great friends showing trees! Dav4, and Hometeamrocker and Yengling83, and MarkyScott are just a few I can point to that post here.

Isolationism will not improve your knowledge. Prepping a tree for a show and having it judged is very instructive! I guess it all depends upon your attitude. And your openness to new ideas.

Jake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jake, I have ADHD. It’s really easy for me to overlook the details!

An odd aspect of ADHD, however, is the “hyperfocus”. If it’s something that I’m really interested in doing, fully engaged, that one task can become my universe. Nothing else matters. Outside influences are ignored. I’m “in the zone”. It’s like a drug. I don’t want to stop, not to eat, not to use the bathroom... my entire awareness is focused on whatever that task is!

I wish I could control it. Engage hyperfocus on all aspects of my life. I cannot. Some tasks I can’t concentrate on at all! I’ll do anything I can to avoid doing them! Procrastinate, substitute another task for the one I don’t want to do, ignore it, try to delegate it...

But, those things I really want to do, and can focus on: BLISS!!!

Now, armed with this knowledge of what can happen, it’s sometimes difficult to “decide” to begin a task I know can send me into a hyperfocus day project. For example, wiring (or unwiring) a tree. I know that once I get started, I’m not going to want to quit until it’s done. And some trees are complicated or big enough that it might take me all day (or more!) to do. I’ll see the tree, I “want” to wire it, but I’m reluctant to start because I know that once I do, I won’t be able to stop. Sometimes, I’m able to break it down into smaller tasks (I’ll just wire this section here, or these two branches, etc). Still, it’s difficult to control.

But, that time I get to spend doing what I love to do IS relaxation for me.

I'm a teacher by trade, which is why I see bonsai as a relaxing hobby (and that is not synonomous with poor quality trees!), so I can completely appreciate your take on it.

To the point where right now I am seriously considering taking in some this year's batch of chinese elm cuttings to work for some of the kids to develop.

We have a student-run farm on the school site and it is a sanctuary for numerous students with ADHD and a variety of SEN. Very thought provoking, Adair!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You other guys go a head and wait till your stuff hardens off while I make new branches in three months.

I have read through all of this a couple of times. Going back in time here I never went by such a rule or rules BUT as I mentioned earlier I chop/work/cut different times of year for different types of plants and trees for good results. I have also altered the time schedule in some cases depending on the weather. For example this past Winter was a bit rough for this area. Plants like Quince will be cut back a whole month later then usual as the average temperature is finally reaching what it normally is late April. Again, I find I get better results with good timing more then anything else.

Grimmy

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M ,

Sifu, try and remember that Trinidad is a small island.
Not like the US.

So if Bonsai friends want to see Bonsai, all they have to
do is walk or drive over.:)

Before the Trinidad Bonsai Society, we were friends meeting
at friends' houses.Having a cup of white tea and green bean
biscuits.
Additionally, see Nigel from Jamaica, we have been Bonsai
Friends since BSG and IBC.

Just had friends over last Saturday.
Friends since we were 10 years old and he has been growing
trees since 1990. Now his wife is getting in.

Additionally, we would have to get Chinese or Japanese judges
for competition.
Remember the land of ladder trees.
Thanks for the concern.
Student Anthony

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M ,

Sifu, try and remember that Trinidad is a small island.
Not like the US.

So if Bonsai friends want to see Bonsai, all they have to
do is walk or drive over.:)

Before the Trinidad Bonsai Society, we were friends meeting
at friends' houses.Having a cup of white tea and green bean
biscuits.
Additionally, see Nigel from Jamaica, we have been Bonsai
Friends since BSG and IBC.

Just had friends over last Saturday.
Friends since we were 10 years old and he has been growing
trees since 1990. Now his wife is getting in.

Additionally, we would have to get Chinese or Japanese judges
for competition.
Remember the land of ladder trees.
Thanks for the concern.
Student Anthony
Anthony, I know Trinidad is totally different than the US.

But, your negative comments about using display stands are inappropriate for anyone who wants to show.

Random User

Reaction score
"We are the Borg; you will be assimilated... "

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M ,

Sifu,
you forget how practical we are and that our interest is the
tree.

So back in 92 or so, trees were shown on boxes, papered to
match the background.
Elevation, and no distractions.

Plus where would one keep all that furniture.
Each tree here is an individual Design, and would need hand
carved individual tables.
Highly impractical.
We love our trees as children, not as objects to exhibit.

Different philosophies.
Plus, don't fuss I have not accepted the title --- God Of Bonsai,
yet;):) from the Heavenly Emperor.
Good Day
humbly Anthony

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, should you air layer before leaves are hardened off?

Also. Rather than lost trees or undesired sections of layering into the woodpile, a stand or anything made of these trees...does anyone do this?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You went thru some tough times, Al. Sad story.

No buds on the pine? Doesn’t sound good. To give you some hope, though, I once bought a JBP that did not bud out in the spring. I had purchased over the winter, and the seller told me it had frozen solid before he shipped it to me
Went out and looked at it today. Hadn’t really payed much attention to until you said something. If I get all panicky that’s when the trouble starts. If I just neglect they seem to heal all on their own.... any way looked and the shoots that did have buds, which is about 75 percent of the tree were about half the size of a BB. Today I looked and all of them have doubled and some have tripled in size. It may just pull thru. I may lose some vigor in a few places but that may come back next year as the tree generates new roots which obviously were damaged. If it buds, would you remove the old needles?

6C1E24A4-56E2-48E4-B3F9-F2C8133035D1.jpeg94A2B429-B166-4EC1-9616-F1494D2CADEE.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Went out and looked at it today. Hadn’t really payed much attention to until you said something. If I get all panicky that’s when the trouble starts. If I just neglect they seem to heal all on their own.... any way looked and the shoots that did have buds, which is about 75 percent of the tree were about half the size of a BB. Today I looked and all of them have doubled and some have tripled in size. It may just pull thru. I may lose some vigor in a few places but that may come back next year as the tree generates new roots which obviously were damaged. If it buds, would you remove the old needles?

View attachment 192520View attachment 192521
No, I wouldn’t remove anything. The tree needs everything it’s got. If the needles start to yellow in the fall, go ahead and remove them at that time.

I wouldn’t do any heavy fertilizer, either, for now. If you do get new shoots, begin to fertilize when you get needles about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. Which might be August. And keep fertilizing, streadily, but lightly, all fall and winter. Next spring, if the new growth acts “normal”, then fertilize heavily.

Good luck!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Damn, Smoke. Do you pause in your typing to shake an angry fist at the sky?

I’ll never be as good at bonsai as most of you guys. I do it for fun and relaxation and have neither the drive nor the talent to get to your level. Hope to someday get a tree to borderline quality for a local show. It seems that it is derogatory to do bonsai for yourself so I guess I’m a heathen.

The biggest thing for me is the relaxation. I get that this approach will never yield and award winning tree or one that meets an expert’s expectations. But for the past two years I’ve had stress related health problems. This spring I had more pressure than ever but had bonsai to work on when I got home. Not a single symptom this year. That alone makes it worth it for me.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, Smoke. Do you pause in your typing to shake an angry fist at the sky?

I’ll never be as good at bonsai as most of you guys. I do it for fun and relaxation and have neither the drive nor the talent to get to your level. Hope to someday get a tree to borderline quality for a local show. It seems that it is derogatory to do bonsai for yourself so I guess I’m a heathen.

The biggest thing for me is the relaxation. I get that this approach will never yield and award winning tree or one that meets an expert’s expectations. But for the past two years I’ve had stress related health problems. This spring I had more pressure than ever but had bonsai to work on when I got home. Not a single symptom this year. That alone makes it worth it for me.

life is short, do what makes you happy and dont worry about what people tell you. (except for me, everyone should listen to me)

its possible to have show worthy trees without ever showing them. its also possible to be happy with what you have, strive for improvement and still wind up with something nice. its also entirely possible to go to a show, see a great piece of material sitting right beside an amateurish/mediocre one and still enjoy both. you dont have to spend thousands of dollars on stock, and classes to enjoy this hobby. truth be told - i was just as happy if not happier digging up crap eastern cedars 30 years ago as i am now. if its fun it aint work.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Please explain this process to me.

Please explain why you do it and its benefits.

Please use pictures to explain your process and its method.

I am most eager to see why I been doing it wrong and how I can improve on what I already have.

I didn't know it was a "process" until I read this thread :) It is the way deciduous trees grow. Without looking up scientific papers it is my understanding that the cycle goes like this:

(1) Tree wakes from dormancy. Stored sugars and starches in branches and trunk are used as energy for new growth.
(2) Tree begins to extend new growth. Cell walls are elastic. Growth is soft and easily damaged.
(3) New growth begins to photosynthesize. Photosynthesis combined with other factors guides new growth direction and extension.
(4) Stored sugars and starches are mostly used up. Tree is at its lowest stored energy level of the year.
(5) Lack of stored energy, combined with other factors, signals tree to stop extending new growth. New growth "hardens off" - developing a thick callous that protects leaves and stems from damage.
(6) Tree pauses in its growth cycle to regain energy. Photosynthesis generates sugars and starches and returns tree from an energy negative to an energy positive state.
(7) Once tree regains enough energy, it may signal a second general growth spurt, or selective growth where the tree is getting the most photosynthetic energy.

I thought the best process to follow was to wait until the tree hardens off, and then give it several weeks to regain energy, and THEN prune to develop ramification. If you continuously prune new growth before the tree has the opportunity to regain energy, the tree weakens significantly.

At least... that's my understanding :)

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you continuously prune new growth before the tree has the opportunity to regain energy, the tree weakens significantly.

At least... that's my understanding :)

....and you know this how

have you tried the difference?

can you make comparisons?

I can......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If there has been one thing that has been the gospel for me since the beginning on forums in late 1996, its I don't talk about anything I don't do, test, and compare. When I'm satisfied with the results I share them, much the same way I did about humates, and hedging which was never talked about until Walter and I shared that at nearly the same time on public forums.

I always share my results with images and how its worked for me. It is not my belief that anyone has to prune their trees the way I do. I just don't understand losing half a year to wait until the tree "hardens off" to start working it. Do you wait again till that growth hardens off until you prune again?

If you all do its why you can't develop trees in the short time that I do. You have to work them and sometimes that means going against conventional wisdom. But...if you people don't try some of this stuff for your self and stop bitching about the way I do it and arguing about it, you all might become believers.

If Ryan made a video tomorrow about pruning the new growth weekly there would be a mass exodus to the bonsai store to buy new shears cause that's the way Ryan does it and I learned it off his video. Ryan is not the be all end all out there. There are some of us that can think and do things and have great success.

OMG take a chance people, its just a freakin tree. Your not going to kill it. If you think the results suck then go back to pruning your tree once a year, makes no difference to me either way.

Top Bottom