Teach me about pots

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Imitation gold will get you imitation results. The broken pot is relived slightly at the ends of the break by grinding off just a tiny bit to accentuate the path, then reassembled with epoxy that does not exceed the original surface of the pot. Clear lacquer is painted over the epoxy in just this crack depression and gold foil available on Amazon for ~$21 is jammed into the seam with a tiny artist's paint brush. I can't wait for a pot to break!
Another technique is to let the epoxy (or lacquer) ooze just a bit, then while it’s still curing, brush finely ground gold dust over the lacquer where it will adhere, and look like it’s a bead of gold.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there any reason this cannot be done with copper? It would look good with tarnished copper I think.
Kintsugi. That is, if you have some gold laying around you're looking to use and a crucible to melt it in and the skill to fix the pot.
Not the best Kintsugi job ever, but done with mica dust and epoxy
IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2153.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is that where he keeps his stash?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hash-pipe?

...burn chamber is pretty small and it's got a snuffer for a tail.....might need some safety glasses, however. Bend the antennae back?

…..you "21 Jump Street" a HS pottery class or something?;):D:D:D:D:D:D 🥴

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bend the antennae back?

The Antennae get in the stache a little but won't harm a big nose feller!
Jay Leno might have problems with the legs.

Ha!

It's pretty comfortable, but it'll get smaller.

I had a piece of clay pinched off that looked like an ant head, so I made an ant, then when giving him a mouth hole...I figured WTH. It's an accident!

4th bowl.....none too great.

Good accent. Ready for the after-party.

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is encouraging! About the same size and shape and at least as many pieces. I abhor epoxy, but it seems the way to go in this instance.
It just takes a while as you have to do it in sections. Best to build it dry first as sometimes it looks like you should do pieces A and B first, but turns out you have to do B and C first to get them to puzzle together. I found a really easy epoxy to use, it is in a largish syringe type thing that has the two sides next to each other. When you push the plunger it comes out together so it is easy to mix in the right proportions. I'll send you a picture if you want of it. Also important is to get the right gold additive. I used a hobby mica powder, it was really good. Some of them are grainy or have glitter embedded. I mixed the mica right into the epoxy so I only had one process to do.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is gold country and I can get placer flakes and real gold dust. Little wheels are spinning in the back part of my brain. Imbed flakes on edge and then hammer them flat. I'm jazzed with the idea of doing something with this pot. It was just heartbreaking when it arrived in pieces.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think I'd hammer on the joints. I don't know how much force would be involved, but you're asking for problems. The basic concept is sticking the gold to the seams with the epoxy that glues the pieces together.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I found this bonsai pot at a good will. Original sticker says "grown for BDK Marketing, Humble TX".

What would look good in this pot? It's round and rather tall for a bonsai pot.

My gut says bald cypress.

Attachments

• 20200215_214229.jpg
    20200215_214229.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200215_215840.jpg
    20200215_215840.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom