The (bonsai) B-Nut dream team...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lets say there is a competition for bonsai styling...where participants have a day to duke it out with other artists. Who will be your dream team (2 per category but B-Nut forum members only) for:

Pines
Junipers
Deciduous Trees
Tropical Trees
Shohin
etc. (insert category as you see fit)

Let's hear it! :)

Edit in:
Please restrict each talent to one category only. Assume the competition they will enter are all simultaneous....and spread the love. ;)

Please consider exempting the 2 heavy hitters; Bill Valavanis and Walter Pall if possible. Also Collin Lewis and Ryan Neil...since they posted once each that I can recall.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool idea. Been wondering the same thing. I'll mull it over and get back on this one.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure Dario, seems to me it would have to include both you and me ! ;)

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am wondering if we should exempt Bill Valavanis and Walter Pall though. :D

Also Collin Lewis and Ryan Neil...since they posted once each that I can recall.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Not sure if I would qualify to be on a team, but I'd love to buy tickets! :D

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK Dario, I'll bite. It's a very tough and subjective question. Not including obvious teachers and likely forgetting many talented people on this forum; here are a few that I look for when I am lurking on this site:

Shohin: Mario Kapra (Peter), October (Rob) and Smoke (Al) (sorry there are three)

Junipers: Mario Kapra (Peter), Salva, Victrina

Pines: Victrinia, Brian Van Fleet

Deciduous: Smoke (Al), Brian Van Fleet, DaveTree

Tropical: Sam, Jun

Note: Mario Kapra is a local SoCal teacher so he may not be eligible. I love his work though. Although I am not sure if he posts here, but Pavel Slovak is amazing with any conifer. He is likely not eligible either.

If I forgot anyone, please excuse!!

Tona

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OK Dario, I'll bite. It's a very tough and subjective question. Not including obvious teachers and likely forgetting many talented people on this forum; here are a few that I look for when I am lurking on this site:

Shohin: Mario Kapra (Peter), October (Rob) and Smoke (Al) (sorry there are three)

Junipers: Mario Kapra (Peter), Salva, Victrina

Pines: Victrinia, Brian Van Fleet

Deciduous: Smoke (Al), Brian Van Fleet, DaveTree

Tropical: Sam, Jun

Note: Mario Kapra is a local SoCal teacher so he may not be eligible. I love his work though. Although I am not sure if he posts here, but Pavel Slovak is amazing with any conifer. He is likely not eligible either.

If I forgot anyone, please excuse!!

Tona

Nice team. 3 on each is fine. :)

I didn't know Jun is also a B-Nut member.

Re: missing someone...it is impossible not to miss anyone w/ the pool of talents here. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about restricting each talent only to one category? Assume the competition they will enter are all simultaneous. :)

Also, feel free to add "realistic" categories if you think of any. :)

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So...a popularity contest! I vote for some people whose backyard would blow you away and no one will ever see.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So...a popularity contest! I vote for some people whose backyard would blow you away and no one will ever see.

If they are a B-Nut member why not? We may not understand why though if we do not know them or seen any of their trees. Post away! :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, Shaq... wait what?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
without a doubt my team would be Bill Valavanis and Walter Pall...the categories don't matter..

I do think some credit also needs to go to Mach5...the work he does with Maples is excellent!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines: Vance Wood and Brian Van Fleet
Shohin: Smoke
Deciduous: Mach and Dave Tree
Juniper: October and Bob Pressler
Tropicals: Ryan Neil and Sam
Collecting: Dario ( Just because he's pretty ambitious about digging)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
without a doubt my team would be Bill Valavanis and Walter Pall...the categories don't matter..

I do think some credit also needs to go to Mach5...the work he does with Maples is excellent!

Great team but I requested both heavy hitters (Bill V & Walter P) be excused if possible...

M5 is in my list too. :)

Top Bottom