The Houseplant Thread - what do you have?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@jaco94 - your Clivia miniata has excellent deep color for a Clivia, most are much more orange, yours is closer to red. That is not a "run of the mill" Clivia. I also like your Laelia-Cattleya hybrid. The orange flowers are stunning, and a nice profusion of flowers. Well grown.

@hinmo24t - Clivia miniata is your mystery plant. Named a long time ago for the governess of Queen Victoria, Lady Charlotte Percy (nee Clive) Duchess of Northumberland, 1787 to 1866. Because Clivia is named after the Duchess, it is pronounced with a long vowel sound to the "i", as in Clive. This is truly a "Victorian Houseplant" that was very popular in Victorian England.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you guys pot houseplants in aggregate soil?

I personally do, and see much stronger growth than in compost, and indoors watering requirements aren't crazy even with the improved drainage.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
ive been using MG cactus/succulent 50%, top soil 25%, bonsai clay pellets/pea gravel/mosquito bits/wood charcoal 25%

also, i used the coco peat bricks as a portion before, and dont mind it. its airy and dries quick. hoyas enjoy that.
still have another brick of it from amazon for the future

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
ive been using MG cactus/succulent 50%, top soil 25%, bonsai clay pellets/pea gravel/mosquito bits/wood charcoal 25%

also, i used the coco peat bricks as a portion before, and dont mind it. its airy and dries quick. hoyas enjoy that.
still have another brick of it from amazon for the future
@Ollie

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
coco peat bricks
Agreed, I've had good success with these.

Also used cut moss for some species (e.g. fittonia), they seem to love it.

Here's my maranta and pilea, both in 50:50 Coco coir : perlite.

Attachments

• 20201125_172946.jpg
    20201125_172946.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201125_173337.jpg
    20201125_173337.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 11

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Agreed, I've had good success with these.

Also used cut moss for some species (e.g. fittonia), they seem to love it.

Here's my maranta and pilea, both in 50:50 Coco coir : perlite.
i bet, good idea with the fittonia, they need high moisture.

nice two plants there. i havent seen a pilea like that before. not sure ive seen that plant before but its rad

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of curiosity, do you guys pot houseplants in aggregate soil?

I personally do, and see much stronger growth than in compost, and indoors watering requirements aren't crazy even with the improved drainage.
As the majority of our house plants are cacti or succulents we tend to lean heavily on this stuff. They have a few different varieties for orchids, general houseplants etc. Unsure what the other mixes contain or if there is much difference. But this works well for us.
DB2B1DF8-347B-4D09-89E2-F4056CA48AEA.jpeg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
As the majority of our house plants are cacti or succulents we tend to lean heavily on this stuff. They have a few different varieties for orchids, general houseplants etc. Unsure what the other mixes contain or if there is much difference. But this works well for us.
stuff does look nice...will bookmark that on amazon20201127_130519~2_resized.jpg20201129_120507_HDR~2_resized.jpg20201129_120821_HDR~2_resized.jpg20201129_174556_resized.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Chinese evergreen and few fittonia in an Erin pot.
looks nice. my fittonia thrived for me all summer. new growth. no issues anyone talks about.
then i saw it collapse (they trail eventually?) and i knew about the humidity requirements and stigma of them = offed it to compost before it invited pests. maybe ina terranium someday.

my heater only really started cranking too so i bailed early on mine

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
looks nice. my fittonia thrived for me all summer. new growth. no issues anyone talks about.
then i saw it collapse (they trail eventually?) and i knew about the humidity requirements and stigma of them = offed it to compost before it invited pests. maybe ina terranium someday.

my heater only really started cranking too so i bailed early on mine
I don’t know much about them. I picked it up recently. We’ll see how it does. If it gets too dry for it I have a grow tent with good light and humidity. That might be an option?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is my den window that faces east, so pretty modest sunlight, but the Sansiviera happy on the right is several generations down from the original 79 cent Kmart plant bought for my new house in 1973. The Coffee arabica in the middle is a really good houseplant for low light. The leaves don't reduce well, but the plant stays there all year and slowly adds new leaves. It did poorly the one summer it spent outside. The tall one is a fig that I would characterize a description as Ficus benjamina 'Too Little' var Panda variegata, if such a name existed. It isn't bonsai sized because I like it as a houseplant.housplants in den 120420.JPG

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don’t know much about them. I picked it up recently. We’ll see how it does. If it gets too dry for it I have a grow tent with good light and humidity. That might be an option?
theyre tricky. enjoy terrariums

Top Bottom