The Little Christmas Tree Contest (2020 - 2023)

Reaction score
Heh, yes for the contest. That was the first one I saw too after I picked mine up, but I want to make it a little more sparse and weather beaten I guess, if I can keep it alive that is! Still great to look at his for inspiration. I have read that they are not the easiest tres, but I do really like Spruce as bonsai. They seem to look more natural (if that’s the right word) than some other conifers and that’s my preferred style generally.

I hope you can keep it alive mate, spruce are the best! Not sure if natural is the right word but I defo know what you mean. They do have this special thing/aura

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm in! I just found this post on Christmas eve-eve. I'm going to get myself a bonsai Christmas present today!... If there's any left.
Q: I have an Alberta spruce "living Christmas tree" I bought and started 3 weeks ago. Can I use that, or am I supposed to wait til the 1st to start hacking at it?

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's a Christmas bonsai I started 2 years ago. Dwarf Alberta spruce

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm in! I just found this post on Christmas eve-eve. I'm going to get myself a bonsai Christmas present today!... If there's any left.
Q: I have an Alberta spruce "living Christmas tree" I bought and started 3 weeks ago. Can I use that, or am I supposed to wait til the 1st to start hacking at it?
As long as you show us a before picture, you are good!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're good! As long a you've not touched it yet. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
Just need to show your tree/trees before Jan. 1.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As stated, I was not very specific. As long as you arent chopping half the tree, or anything too drastic just updating your threads will be fine.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yeah. I’ve just been posting additional -contest inspired-plants I’ve been messing with.
from now on, I will start new threads for little Christmas tree experiments.
I only have one tree in the race - the first one I posted in my contest thread.

cheers!

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Here are my two late entries:
1 - Procumbens Nana which looked great but unfortunately lost a lower branch from heavy wiring.
2 - Alberta Spruce which we actually used as our Christmas tree this year! It has been fooled into thinking its already Spring in the Houston weather.

Attachments

• 20191019_222729.jpg
    20191019_222729.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20191117_213831.jpg
    20191117_213831.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20191217_195816.jpg
    20191217_195816.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20191230_150705.jpg
    20191230_150705.jpg