The "What The Heck Should I Do With It" Thread

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be inclined to ditch those two smaller trunks and work on bringing the larger trunk more upright. Once you have established it in a suitable position, after a couple years of letting just grow you can work on a final image. Just my two cents.
Thats what I was also thinking. For removal of the two, should I do that soon as it is approaching fall or wait for early spring, and secondly how do I remove them without creating a possible infection site below the soil line. I don't know if I'd want to divide it at the root level or leave two small stump and then cover that in soil next repot.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't mess with trying to separate them, you could end up killing them both. If you decide to cut the two left runners then I would remove them now as marked:

IMG_2428.JPG

Seal them with duct seal or even Elmer's Glue. You can remove a little more in about year when you start the process of bringing it upright.

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't mess with trying to separate them, you could end up killing them both. If you decide to cut the two left runners then I would remove them now as marked:

View attachment 158837

Seal them with duct seal or even Elmer's Glue. You can remove a little more in about year when you start the process of bringing it upright.
Thanks that was really helpful.

Reactions: Vin

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 158837

An addition to vin's option
I would also consider keeping the thinnest trunk alive for now and wrap it up with raffia and heavy wire and twist the shit out of it, no problem if it dies/cracks it will be a nice twisted jin eventualy like it was a two trunk and sonething happend and killed the seccond trunk

But be carefull that the tree is well established/ancored in the basket cus you dont want to damage the roots

I wouldnt be concerned about infections in the soil its in a pond basket and well draining soil

Another 2 cents
Always jin first instead of cutting off you can always cut off later!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@vario I can see you taking it upright too.

Styling that cascading branch right back down along the trunk, shortening it over the years till it's aged to perfection.

Looks original.

Sorce

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alright, I think I need to get more junipers to practice wiring on first lol. Thanks for ideas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, I think I need to get more junipers to practice wiring on first lol. Thanks for ideas.

Or branches on the ground, or in a tree, or weeds, or toothpicks, or air.....or another wire!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this azalea I chopped 2 years ago... at the time I used to much peat in my substrate (problem solved for other azlaeas), and got a lot of root rot and needed emergency repot to which the left trunk (of the first image) died.
I am pondering chopping that trunk an just puting this in the ground as a garden plant.

azalea1.jpg

azalea2.jpg

help! I have no idea what to do

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have this azalea I chopped 2 years ago... at the time I used to much peat in my substrate (problem solved for other azlaeas), and got a lot of root rot and needed emergency repot to which the left trunk (of the first image) died.
I am pondering chopping that trunk an just puting this in the ground as a garden plant.

View attachment 162846

View attachment 162847

Throw it over the fence, make it your neighbors problem.

Reaction score
This works kind of like the Tree Thread, Yamadori Thread and others. However, you don't need to post a tree every time you respond. If you have a tree that you just can't seem to do anything with post it here to get some ideas or help with it. First up, my Seesaw Juniper. There are two branches 180 degrees apart that seem to dominate what can or can't be done it. I've had it three or four years and have already taken a foot or so off each side. Looking at again today, I remembered I was supposed to take that sucker off last year but never got around to it. I think I'm just going to bring it to the club auction this year unless someone has a better idea.

View attachment 139428

View attachment 139429

View attachment 139430

View attachment 139431

View attachment 139432
Re pot it leaning it way over to the right, You have 1 upright trunk with a semi cascade on the right hand side. See saw gone!

Reaction score

View attachment 162846

View attachment 162847

Carve the left hand side away leaving a single trunk tree with loads of taper, take the carving up the trunk hollowing it out (stain it black inside) twist and turn the hollow trunk slightly to the left .

Reaction score
See Saw gone anyway - I donated it to our Annual Club Auction. :) I appreciate the input though.
A pity it is with my impossible / difficult / poor trees I have made most progress, learnt more and been willing to take chances or try difficult procedures

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love this, I definitely have a candidate for the thread. Dwarf honeysuckle, looks to be pretty old, definitely went a number of years w/o care, most of the branches are undesirable and lanky. I pruned off a 90° branch when I got it, and that's where all the new growth is coming from. I know a majority of the canopy needs to go... I just can't figure out which needs to stay, and which needs to go!IMG_20170926_173613221_HDR.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love this, I definitely have a candidate for the thread. Dwarf honeysuckle, looks to be pretty old, definitely went a number of years w/o care, most of the branches are undesirable and lanky. I pruned off a 90° branch when I got it, and that's where all the new growth is coming from. I know a majority of the canopy needs to go... I just can't figure out which needs to stay, and which needs to go!View attachment 162874
Don't you touch that main trunk! :) Just let it fill in over the next couple years and it will be fine. Next spring pick a lanky branch and prune it back to see what kind of growth you get. Once it fills in a bit then move to another branch and so forth and so on. You can repot it in the spring as well but don't go crazy with it. This tree deserves to survive and be shown one day.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't you touch that main trunk! :) Just let it fill in over the next couple years and it will be fine. Next spring pick a lanky branch and prune it back to see what kind of growth you get. Once it fills in a bit then move to another branch and so forth and so on. You can repot it in the spring as well but don't go crazy with it. This tree deserves to survive and be shown one day.

I agree with vin its a dope piece!
the non dwarf variety is one of the fastest growing species dunno how fast this one will grow but in a couple of years it can be a nice tree also new growth will provide new options !

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh dont worry! I have no intentions of touching the trunk! It's hard to tell from the picture, but the trunk is actually 3 fused trunks with a nice little fox hole between them. I hope it survives to one day be a beautiful bonsai!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with vin its a dope piece!
the non dwarf variety is one of the fastest growing species dunno how fast this one will grow but in a couple of years it can be a nice tree also new growth will provide new options !
Found it in the "Make an offer" pile at my favorite local nursery, offered $20 aand they took it! I absolutely fell in love with the base and knew I was taking this baby home. I've only had it for about 6 months now, so obviously I dont know how quick it will grow yet, but I have learned that it loved to backbud, and that the new branches harden off EXTREMELY quick.

Thanks @defra and @Vin for your feedback, let the fertilizing begin! (In the spring of course ;))

Top Bottom