Tired of Crappy Threads

Emil Brannstrom

Yamadori
Reaction score
but based on Emil's last post here: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737&page=51
where there wasn't any joking on his part, I figured he was once again boxing Americans in and trying to profile us......

That's was also all in fun. The reason is that America has a lot more censorship than we do here (in Sweden). Here you can basically say anything on national television as long as it isn't inciting to hatred or slandering a person. Kevin Spacey used that "right" and had some fun with the f-word when he appeared on Swedish television recently. I'm also under the impression that you guys blur genitals and such, at least when it's a family show (such as AFV)? We don't, hence the warning. Another reason is that there are minors that read this forum so I thought a warning might be in place.[/QUOTE]

The Europeans I have met on line tend to be arrogant elitists toward Americans when challenged at all....so prove me wrong...

That statement is painted with a significantly smaller brush than the statement you made before and might, for all I know, be very accurate :)

Best Regards
Emil

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ah come on yall! , aint nun o yall got any ID tall.:rolleyes:

OK yankee, your making fun of us hicks, besides you can't even talk good, it ain't yall, it's plural, all yall. Geez and just because you make famous baked beans...........

Keep it green,
Harry

Glider

Yamadori
Reaction score
Intelligent Design. It's a term that some in the scientific community are dubbing the purposeful act of creation by a higher power.

At the risk of continuing to beat a dead horse, Ryan, your post is exactly opposite of the reality of the situation. Intelligent Design is "young earth creationism" dressed up in pseudo-science with a new name to try to get state school boards to inject it into public school science curriculum. It has been proven to have no basis in science, and Michael Behe (its number one proponent) was shown to be exactly that in the Fitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case.

Chris

I am aware of that Chris. But I have also seen the term applied to other ideas that don't involve Young Earth Judeo Christian beliefs or agendas. It doesn't belong to one particular group.

Edit: (Though it did start with the group you refer to.)
Chris is right on that point. The term was generated by creationists to circumvent the Supreme Court ruling against the teaching of creationism in public schools (Edwards v. Aguillard, 1987). The only way the creationist groups could pursue their agenda was to substitute all mention of creation and creator with the terms intelligent design and designer.

This is most noticeable in the book ‘of pandas and people’ (a creationist textbook) which fell foul of the Supreme Court ruling and was withdrawn. It shortly reappeared after somebody had simply done a ‘find and replace’ editing job, substituting the terms ‘intelligent design’ for ‘creation’ and ‘designer’ for ‘creator’.

This was noticed and became the focus of litigation in the Dover trial (Kitzmiller v Dover, 2005). That was the origin of the term ‘intelligent design’.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glider,

You are so quick in your desire to correct me and keep me in check that you forgot to read what I wrote:

"(Though it did start with the group you refer to.)"

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The term "Intelligent Design" has been adopted by others who do not believe in a young earth creation and do not have a political agenda. Sometimes I listen to a radio program (mostly for laughs, I can't take much stock in the topics discussed) called Coast to Coast AM. There are plenty of guests on the show that use this term and they certainly do not have the same agenda nor do they believe in a young earth creationist theory.:p

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK yankee, your making fun of us hicks, besides you can't even talk good, it ain't yall, it's plural, all yall. Geez and just because you make famous baked beans...........

Keep it green,
Harry

all y'all ya mean. It's one of them there contraction thingamajigs.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, y'all both got it wrong. It's "all uh y'all.":p The "uh" is Southern for "of."

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
another useless thread. Now it's spilling over into "general discussion" :rolleyes:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
another useless thread. Now it's spilling over into "general discussion" :rolleyes:

It was about time, how long do you need to express your opinion on crap.

keep it green,
Harry

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nah! When I die folks who find the "safe place" will be happy. It is always stored in a safe place, unfortunately I/we don't know where that is.

Having said that, we now send each other e-mails of what is tucked away where. And yes there is several back up of HDs. LOL. It ain't funny getting old.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... If someone can't figure out that I am being sarcastic or joking---its on them. It's not that hard to tell really.

Just found some of these posts.

Paul, I fear your faith in what the typewritten word alone can convey may be too generous. This is especially true between people of different cultural backgrounds, where some basic, almost unconscious assumptions may be different.

Top Bottom