Tool kit recommendations

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jin pliers are transformative in your ability to wire/bend. After the 3 Shibui mentioned, that'd be my next purchase. I went w/ stainless ...because how often do you need sharp jin pliers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable tool kit for beginners? Ideally, I am looking for a 6 or 7 piece set. I was originally thinking stainless steel, but am open to carbon steel, too. Admittedly, while I am experienced with growing plants, I am quite the novice at bonsai and could use any advice you would be willing to provide. I would prefer to buy a set that will last me at least a few years while I dive deeper and learn more. Thank you all in advance. :)

crea7or

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmm…. Everyone has their own preference of supplier here. Personally I don’t care as long as my scissors are sharp, oiled, not sloppy at the pivot, can get to where I need to cut and fit my hand properly.

The scissors shown in your image look just like a pair root pruning scissors we have. These Tian are ok for general trimming, harder to use in normal, inside and in close trimming. We usually the sleeker scissors design in these cases..

Here’s a photo of some of the scissors we use for everyday work (4 on the left) and root pruning (2 on the right). Top pair shown is for delicate tight in work.

Tian does have models similar, if that‘s your choice of supplier. You may prefer longer depending on hand size. Ours are 180mm to 210mm

cheers
DSD sends

btw, it looks like @bonsaiboy60077 actually has a pair of these type scissors in his kit that I missed.

View attachment 435655
Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm…. Everyone has their own preference of supplier here. Personally I don’t care as long as my scissors are sharp, oiled, not sloppy at the pivot, can get to where I need to cut and fit my hand properly.

The scissors shown in your image look just like a pair root pruning scissors we have. These Tian are ok for general trimming, harder to use in normal, inside and in close trimming. We usually the sleeker scissors design in these cases..

Here’s a photo of some of the scissors we use for everyday work (4 on the left) and root pruning (2 on the right). Top pair shown is for delicate tight in work.

Tian does have models similar, if that‘s your choice of supplier. You may prefer longer depending on hand size. Ours are 180mm to 210mm

cheers
DSD sends

btw, it looks like @bonsaiboy60077 actually has a pair of these type scissors in his kit that I missed.

View attachment 435655
I’ve enjoyed the 38 style pictured here after the recommendation of several forum members. They really have been a great all around pair for most things.

Despite how good they are I’m tempted again to get the 827s and the 35 style pictured here as well… partly because I’d like something a little smaller to use on occasion and partly because I like new toys…

Top Bottom