Tough Ponderosa

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Colorado was cutting back his collection, and sent a bunch my way. (Thanks again!)
Among them is this ponderosa pine. I'm generally at a loss when looking at a long needle pine like this, but the other day I found myself looking for every bit of potential in this one.
IMG_20220806_140101_161.jpg

I want to chop it to that node dead center to build some curves and taper.
Here's the problem, though.
IMG_20220806_140307_391.jpg
The current apex as well as three other branches and meet right there. I have no problem with removing one or both of the other branches after establishing the new leader, except that I'm uncertain how well I can expect it to bud back, and anything I leave will give me a very lopsided tree.

I guess what I'm asking is if literati is my only reasonable option her, or do others see something I don't?
I'm a far cry from grafting yet, so I'm confined to what the tree decides for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_140148_738.jpg
    IMG_20220806_140148_738.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 7

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have courage, and imagination. Where I collect, an elk would have taken that top off a few years ago, and the wind would have bent at least one of those lower branches around to the other side. If there's still some flexibility between that node and the little back branch above it, you could do something interesting there. You've got options:)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have courage, and imagination. Where I collect, an elk would have taken that top off a few years ago, and the wind would have bent at least one of those lower branches around to the other side. If there's still some flexibility between that node and the little back branch above it, you could do something interesting there. You've got options:)
I think all of that is actually coming out of the single node is my problem. It'll eventually lead to huge bulge if I leave it all.

But the branches still have plenty of flexibility, so there are options for the ones to keep.
I just keep seeing literati, when it feels like there's more.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many hours great Ponderosa livestreams in Mirai library if able to go there☺️.

Top Bottom