Tree growing without roots.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So… my friend gave me this Callery Pear shohin cutting about 4-5 months ago, he gave it to me after he seperated from a giant tree in front of his house. Today I went to check to see if it’s rooting yet because the tree have been growing nicely, even throwing out a couple of new shoots from the base. When I pull the tree up there was still no roots, the base has like a burl and no roots formed from it after 4-5 months yet leaves still green with new growth …. How can this be ???

71175859079__E1D6D913-F18A-41DF-B072-9F4B1626AD7E.jpegIMG_7854.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sometimes a tree produces growth like this from the sap left inside the trunk. It can be temporary growth as there are no roots to replenish the energy used. You might see it decline. Don’t totally give up though. Treat it like a cutting. Keep the substrate moist. Keep the tree out of direct heat, sun and wind to preserve what moisture is in the leaves. I’ve read of growers putting material like this inside a tree sized “tent” to maintain moisture. I have not done this though. Perhaps a few more replies can unravel what to do next.

Me? I would have just left it planted right where it was rather than pull it out. There could have been very thin root hairs developing that the eyes might not detect. My best guess is that there are roots below. Keep it planted and treat it like a cutting in development.

It does look rather cool too!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That’s what I’m doing, I even put more root hormone on it before planting it back. I know trees can survive on stored energy but for 4-5 months is what surprises me.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope the tree makes it just fine. I kinda think it’s going to be a survivor…and you’ll have a magnificent story to tell about the beginning.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've had conifer cuttings stay green for 18 months then gradually die off.
Generally the larger the trunk the more stores it has to use. Thick trunks like this can make remarkable new shoots and keep them for many months.
Fingers crossed that it will root but I find that pears are hard to root at the best of times.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Years ago, mid winter, I cleared the edge of the woods in my yard to expand a garden, and I cut and stacked the downed trees to season for a year before burning in my fire place. Spring rolls around and sure enough, at least 10 logs had 4-8” long shoots from throughout the stack! I was pretty surprised!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Years ago, mid winter, I cleared the edge of the woods in my yard to expand a garden, and I cut and stacked the downed trees to season for a year before burning in my fire place. Spring rolls around and sure enough, at least 10 logs had 4-8” long shoots from throughout the stack! I was pretty surprised!
Wow :eek:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That’s what I’m doing, I even put more root hormone on it before planting it back. I know trees can survive on stored energy but for 4-5 months is what surprises me.
I have seen trees that have lots of carbohydrate storage last more than a year. So far, I have seen Mayhaw and bald cypress living more than a year before heading into a decline. You are heading in the right direction trying to help the tree develop roots. I didn't do it for some of my Mayhaw/Bald Cypress and lost them.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Callus tissue, as dysfunctional as it is, can in fact act like a sponge for water and provide enough water transport for a little growth.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How is this tree doing? In all my hackery trying to grow roots, the most consistent thing I've failed to do is give the tree enough stability for it to really focus on its roots.

Top Bottom