Tropical MImosa Bonsai-need help please

Bonsaimax

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone, New to the community here (although I have been browsing posts for a little over a month now) and just got back into Bonsai myself. I’m 30 years old and the last time I had my hands on a Bonsai tree was a good 10-15 years ago. I had actually taken some courses in Bonsai at a very nice facility in Maryland but I was a teenager back then and I’m sure I wasn’t soaking up the information I should. I believe I made it into the advanced classes but again, with my maturity level back then I never appreciated the opportunity I had in front of me… I had about 3-5 successful bonsai’s before I moved off to sunny south florida for college. I had brought 2 of my junipers down to Florida and unfortunately they never made it past the first year down here. It was most likely my fault-lack of care but we’re all young once. I still regret losing those wonderful specimens. Due to… well let’s just say some very unfortunate circumstances, I have recently been inspired to pick back up this wonderful hobby. I have been reading and reading to refresh my memory and I think I’m in a good spot to jump back into things.

So here is my question. Well I have a bunch but let’s start with one.

As I mentioned above I had about 3-5 successful Bonsai’s, one of which is in question now. I had been given a wonderful gift of , I believe…, a tropical Mimosa bonsai tree. (see picture below). Now after I moved away to college (2000) my mother had been keeping an eye on the plant but refused to ever trim it. So the once a year I would come home I would give it a slight pruning but as you can see from the picture below it’s lost some of it’s “bonsai” appeal. My question is what do I do with the tree now. It was a good 15-30 years old when I got it putting its current age around let’s say 30-45 years old. The base trunk is amazing with a lot of detail but as my Green Thumbed mother just let it grow wild, you can see it has just sprouted upright. I guess I am looking for some trimming suggestions. It has also NEVER been re-potted since I first got it. If I lop off the top growth and bring it back down to the main trunk will it survive? I need some help to bring this tree back to it’s “Bonsai” form but I guess I would still consider myself a beginner due to time spent away from this hobby.

Thanks in advance for all the help/advice.

mybonsai.jpg

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Hard to say if it is really mimosa without some more detailed trunk shots(the bark is a good indicator) but if it is, it is considered a weed down south. i.e. it grows like one. The long growth that grew up top..lop it off. It will bud back nicely for you.
These are particularly hard trees to get a reall "bonsai" shape out of so don't expect to ever get there. They do make beautiful specimens, but grow with a more spread out and elegant feel.
As for the repotting, I repot mine every year(roots are usually coming out of the pot by the end of summer). I would check the roots and if it looks a little tight, repot.

Long story short, cut it back! and enjoy the new growth!

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forums,

we shared the same path, I too started very young in bonsai (15 ~ 16 years old) and then lost interest for a good 15 years and started back 3 years ago in my 31st year, I hope you won't give up again.

I don't think I will be of any help regarding your tree but I can tell you that the pic you shared is useless. you need to take pictures on a wall in the background from the eyelevel of the tree and not looking down on it and that from the 4 sides so someone can help

Bonsaimax

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll see about getting better pictures.

The Tree is actually in Maryland right now and i live in south florida. My last trip home i wasn't able to bring it back with me (dont think it would do well on a flight) so ill have to make a special trip up with a car to bring it back.

I will ask the person who is looking over my plants to send me some better pictures for identification purposes.

sounds like i can get trimmer happy here and have little issues.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can 't tell from the photo whether this is the typical "mimosa" that grows in the Southern U.S.--which isn't really a mimosa (Albizzia Julibrissen--which is Persian Silk Tree). It looks to me like one of the true mimosas that grow in tropical regions --there are dozens of species, though.

In any case, both Albizzia and the proper mimosas require a lot more light than what is available indoors. This one looks pretty weak. I would get the tree OUTSIDE ASAP. Although we're still having cooler weather here in the DC/MD/VA area, daytime temps are pretty good and temperatures are slated to take an upward swing into the 70's and 80's in the coming days. I'd get it outside in partial sun and bring it in if temps go below 50 or so.

Bonsaimax

Seedling
Reaction score
Can 't tell from the photo whether this is the typical "mimosa" that grows in the Southern U.S.--which isn't really a mimosa (Albizzia Julibrissen--which is Persian Silk Tree). It looks to me like one of the true mimosas that grow in tropical regions --there are dozens of species, though.

In any case, both Albizzia and the proper mimosas require a lot more light than what is available indoors. This one looks pretty weak. I would get the tree OUTSIDE ASAP. Although we're still having cooler weather here in the DC/MD/VA area, daytime temps are pretty good and temperatures are slated to take an upward swing into the 70's and 80's in the coming days. I'd get it outside in partial sun and bring it in if temps go below 50 or so.

Thanks for the tip, ill ring him and tell him to keep it outside until i can make it back up around mid may, then that baby is coming back down with me.

I'm still going to try and get updated pictures.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I think it will be be much happier in South Florida than in Maryland. I'd definitely chop off that top branch/trunk eventually. It's not serving any purpose, and losing it will make for easier transport. These can make decent bonsai, though not with a traditional/formal approach. I would recommend getting it out in the sun (as said above), letting it adjust after the move south, then thinking about styling once it's here and healthy.

Bonsaimax

Seedling
Reaction score
The guy watching over the tree for me until i get it down here was nice enough to take some additional shots to help properly identify it. Not that they are good pictures but hopefully they help identify it. Image0182.jpgImage0184.jpgImage0186.jpgImage0187.jpgImage0188.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My last trip home i wasn't able to bring it back with me (dont think it would do well on a flight) so ill have to make a special trip up with a car to bring it back.
If you chop it hard as suggested, you can easily have this shipped to yourself, probably a lot cheaper than driving too. Proper protection & packing is a must so the tree and pot won't get damaged.

Reaction score
I think this tree would put on more growth in a year down here in florida, than it has
in it's 30-45 years of life.

Have your friend chop the top, pull it out of the pot
since it should be rootbound anyways...
throw a bag arround it and ship it down to you...

Don't think a trip through the postal system could do it anymore
harm than has already been done by leaving it in the dark in maryland.

When you get it, take the bag off, inspect the roots.
If they are root bound, you will have to cut it free.
Put it in some fast draining soil, water it really good
and put it outside in the partial sun.
Taking care that it doesn't get to much full sun.
In a month...
start fertilizing the shit out of it.

Then next year update with photos...

Bonsaimax

Seedling
Reaction score
I think this tree would put on more growth in a year down here in florida, than it has
in it's 30-45 years of life.

Have your friend chop the top, pull it out of the pot
since it should be rootbound anyways...
throw a bag arround it and ship it down to you...

Don't think a trip through the postal system could do it anymore
harm than has already been done by leaving it in the dark in maryland.

When you get it, take the bag off, inspect the roots.
If they are root bound, you will have to cut it free.
Put it in some fast draining soil, water it really good
and put it outside in the partial sun.
Taking care that it doesn't get to much full sun.
In a month...
start fertilizing the shit out of it.

Then next year update with photos...

Thank you much for the advice, sounds like a solid plan. Appreciate all the help from everyone!

Top Bottom