Twisty Cedar Elm - collected 2012

Reaction score
This is a cedar Elm I collected in 2012. It is a bit unconventional with the 2nd trunk there but it has really grown on me and I like it! It is a natural style and I appreciate it for how the Cedar Elms grow all around me. I am working on the ramification and extending out the twisty branches even more.

Here it was when I collected in 2012

Attachments

• IMG154.jpg
    IMG154.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Here it is before budding 2014. Still a long way to go. Thanks Dario for prodding me to do an update. I had these all grouped together but will do a thread for the ones that don't have their own post.

Attachments

• IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 98

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Travis,

This have a unique shape and great potential. Here is a pruning virt for your consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 79

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
This is what I would do if it was mine.

Attachments

• IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 73

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Neli,

I also considered that but it took away that "uniqueness" of the tree that I liked.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I think it will make the tree look more masculine, compact it, and with better proportions. It will also give it better movement. At the moment it looks like it has two apex.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it will make the tree look more masculine, compact it, and with better proportions. It will also give it better movement. At the moment it looks like it has two apex.

I agree. Keeping it tall also lack taper at the top but the pruning I suggested made the 2nd branch inferior and created a "mother/daughter" feel and kept the unique trait I saw. Travis will have to sort which way to go. LOL

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here it is before budding 2014. Still a long way to go. Thanks Dario for prodding me to do an update. I had these all grouped together but will do a thread for the ones that don't have their own post.

This is an amazing tree...I think this is a good front. That second trunk gives great character. Though...I would remove the branch that goes in front of the second trunk. Because what I've read...you want to keep the V between a branching like that with clean lines. It makes more of a statement to the main structure of the trunk.

Dario had it marked to be cut...and I agree...I also agree with the removal of the small branch above the lower branching in front that he has to remove. I think it will make the structure of the over all tree very strong.

The remainder of his trimmings...possibly to help promote more branching? Still learning...but I do like what you have going...and I believe you made the right call keeping that second branch.

Thanks for sharing...

Reaction score
This tree was collected in 2012 before I really figured out what I was doing. It is one I have not gone back and cut further back into the branches. I think Dario's vert is nearly where I am going with the tree. A few of the cuts he is suggesting I make on the smaller branches I am going to wait because I am trying to grow thicker before I cut. But the vert seemed about right. For the bigger branches that need to be cut back, this tree has not been pruned hard and the buds are swelled up all over th place so thanks for the plan Dario!

Reaction score
As for the twin apex discussion. This is EXACTLY the response I figured I would get here. I understand the taper and more masculine argument. But I have a dozen different collected cedar elms and look at the trees as part of a collection. I will post up an update on some of my 2013 trees that have much more taper and masculine trunks.
This tree adds that character to my collection that you would only understand if you lived in the Texas hill country. It would take a REALLY long time to emulate what this tree has going on. Basically, I don't look at the tree by itself. It has it's place on my bench and fits in with the nature around my home. Trust me living with and taking care of the tree, it has grown on me.
Still needs a whole love of work and development. A long way to go. But the character of the tree is it's own.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Travis,

I agree...I can collect dozens of trees with single apex and have taper (or build one) ...they are dime a dozen so to speak. This is it's own tree. Given proper training, I believe it can be show ready in 2-3 years knowing how fast cedar elm is.

I should update some of mine so you see how fast the branches can develop/ramify in 2 years from collection. This will go much faster since the roots are already established. :)

You should pick Joey's brain...he is my first mentor (just a few hours) but helped me a lot. He can show you what is wrong with a tree very gently. He will leave you with that thought and let you sort it out on your own...but I advise you to listen to him. He is much more cautious than me too (he really cares about the tree's well being)...I think I scare him sometimes. LOL ;) Definitely one of the nicest guys I know. Most of the ABS club members are the same...very nice people. :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting tree. How well does it back bud on areas with that thicker bark? Would you happen to have shots from other sides?

Reaction score
I am cutting some branches and will get more pictures. It is budding out everywhere. It will put buds out right in between the gaps in the rough thick bark.

BTW. The pot is my first attempt at papercrete! That was fun with my kids. I made 3 of them. Well, I made 3 pots and 3 kids actually!

txbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Travis - great trunk on that elm. Love those tumbly curves! If it were mine, I wouldn't take out the 2nd trunk line at the top, but rather design it to be subordinate to the top lead. Trees in the wild do this all the time when part of the apex is damaged and another part takes over. I even like the knob at the top part (though that could be reduced with careful carving). I think what you need is some taper to those branches, so in my virtual, I cut them shorter, then painted them on with a "couple" years growth. Don't know if this is what you have in mind for the tree, but it's what I saw.
Joey

Dario - my ears were burning! LOL You're awesome, thanks for the pep talk!

Attachments

• IMG_6814c.jpg
    IMG_6814c.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6814b.jpg
    IMG_6814b.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 42

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario - my ears were burning! LOL ..., thanks for the pep talk!

Joey,

You should join us more here. We can use the expertise. ;)

You know me, I say it as it is and you are what I said. I feel ABS' future is secure because of you. I wish, I (or more member) have the passion and commitment like you have. :cool:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Travis - great trunk on that elm. Love those tumbly curves! If it were mine, I wouldn't take out the 2nd trunk line at the top, but rather design it to be subordinate to the top lead. Trees in the wild do this all the time when part of the apex is damaged and another part takes over. I even like the knob at the top part (though that could be reduced with careful carving). I think what you need is some taper to those branches, so in my virtual, I cut them shorter, then painted them on with a "couple" years growth. Don't know if this is what you have in mind for the tree, but it's what I saw.
Joey

Dario - my ears were burning! LOL You're awesome, thanks for the pep talk!

Joey...that is impressive! What a great tree this is...

Reaction score
Here it is. I cut back a few days ago and the buds have all opened up everywhere. The verts from Joey and Dario were EXTREMELY helpful. After Joey's vert I just cut that upper left branch back more. It is growing strong so hopefully I get growth at the cut. If not there is a shoot further back that could become that branch.
I am leaving that middle left branch long to let it thicken a bit more. I will probably cut it back later in the year so it can work on secondary branching at the end of the year.

Again, this is 1 of 3 paper crete pots I made. The first picture is the front although I might rotate slightly to the right at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_6868.jpg
    IMG_6868.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6869.jpg
    IMG_6869.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6870.jpg
    IMG_6870.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6871.jpg
    IMG_6871.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 30

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool. I like the virt above. It's how I picture it. The current back could work as a possible front also, don't you think? One thing that I don't like is that there are two branches on the same horizontal plane at the moment. I notice txbonsai has one of the branches removed in the virt.

Top Bottom