Ulmus Pole to Dos.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Clicio this is the thread about pests and causes.

In watching this, I became certain that we also have all the data here on bonsainut necessary to understand what faults attract what pests. Like, certain chemical signals are read by certain pests, which is what leads to infestations. We just need to write the programs to extrapolate the data.

Here is the chain of events.

Summer repot. Fine.
Watered late, it came back, but not back back, my buds haulted, this makes sense, it read a drought, so it stopped growing.
I believe this period of dry sent a signal to whatever pests infested it(softer tissue easier to get to), which likely added to the time the buds were going to remain inactive, which extends the time of distress signals being scent, yes... scent! Sent. Via Scent!
Which makes the infestation Exponential.

What is KEY to me is, had I not realized I watered late, which is easily possible, I could have thought it was the summer repot that made it halt. I would have thought it was the summer repot that caused the pests. I would have been LOST!

This fits well into your recent watering thread eh?!

That water mishap was July31st, my buds just started to show green again in Sept., one full month after the water mishap! What a quick waste of great time!

Note, all my apical buds died or quit.
Note, gripping a branch and stripping elm leaves from base to tip as they teach, removes the apical bud. (see Defoliation 101)

I decided I had enough time for this growth to sustain and maintain until Dormant, and since defoil would guarantee my pest removal in total, I opted for full defoil now. I wish I wouldn't have missed that one fucking watering!

View attachment 326795

Pests, Scale? Thrips? I had ants. Ants led me to the problem, Thanks ants!
View attachment 326796

Peep this! Shoot off a root! I left it since the ants weren't privy to it yet!
View attachment 326797

View attachment 326798

View attachment 326799

So now I lost tons of time. For one damn late water.

This is the kind of stuff we miss so often, and blame summer repotting!

Sorce
Completely on board with this post, good outside the box critical thought processes to run with here. Not to mention the progression of that elm! Quite a beaut now, from its former bean pole existance

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just for my own perspective, when you say watered late, how late we talking?

Needed water in the morning around 10am, but didn't till ... 13:00? or 15:00 or next day?!
Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just for my own perspective, when you say watered late, how late we talking?

Needed water in the morning around 10am, but didn't till ... 13:00? or 15:00 or next day?!
Thanks

A couple hours passed my usual watering time if I recall. Though there also may have been the, "oh they're alright", the evening before.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A couple hours passed my usual watering time if I recall. Though there also may have been the, "oh they're alright", the evening before.

Sorce
Lol, gotcha.

I find the transition between summer and autumn to be the worst. Because the weather goes so hot then chills right down and you are fully aware, you need to go from potential 3 waterings a day down to 0 or 1, if it rained night before.
But this is an extreme range, so it leaves you open to "they'll be alright". You naturally make these assumptions, next morning its warmer than you thought, you started work and an hour or 2 went past cos your manager is a dick, and HEY, there you go, dry trees....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol, gotcha.

I find the transition between summer and autumn to be the worst. Because the weather goes so hot then chills right down and you are fully aware, you need to go from potential 3 waterings a day down to 0 or 1, if it rained night before.
But this is an extreme range, so it leaves you open to "they'll be alright". You naturally make these assumptions, next morning its warmer than you thought, you started work and an hour or 2 went past cos your manager is a dick, and HEY, there you go, dry trees....

You know what else...

The window must have been quite small cuz it did stay alive.
If perking back up and continuing to grow is about 15 minutes late.
And death is a few hours late.
This definitely fell between there.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know what else...

The window must have been quite small cuz it did stay alive.
If perking back up and continuing to grow is about 15 minutes late.
And death is a few hours late.
This definitely fell between there.

Sorce

Yeah that seems too short a time to have any kind of affect.
Are you sure it was the watering that caused any issue? Unless it is in some super inorganic mix, doesn't seem like it'd be enough to cause any problem.. and for a CE!

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
@Clicio this is the thread about pests and causes.

In watching this, I became certain that we also have all the data here on bonsainut necessary to understand what faults attract what pests. Like, certain chemical signals are read by certain pests, which is what leads to infestations. We just need to write the programs to extrapolate the data.

Here is the chain of events.

Summer repot. Fine.
Watered late, it came back, but not back back, my buds haulted, this makes sense, it read a drought, so it stopped growing.
I believe this period of dry sent a signal to whatever pests infested it(softer tissue easier to get to), which likely added to the time the buds were going to remain inactive, which extends the time of distress signals being scent, yes... scent! Sent. Via Scent!
Which makes the infestation Exponential.

What is KEY to me is, had I not realized I watered late, which is easily possible, I could have thought it was the summer repot that made it halt. I would have thought it was the summer repot that caused the pests. I would have been LOST!

This fits well into your recent watering thread eh?!

That water mishap was July31st, my buds just started to show green again in Sept., one full month after the water mishap! What a quick waste of great time!

Note, all my apical buds died or quit.
Note, gripping a branch and stripping elm leaves from base to tip as they teach, removes the apical bud. (see Defoliation 101)

I decided I had enough time for this growth to sustain and maintain until Dormant, and since defoil would guarantee my pest removal in total, I opted for full defoil now. I wish I wouldn't have missed that one fucking watering!

View attachment 326795

Pests, Scale? Thrips? I had ants. Ants led me to the problem, Thanks ants!
View attachment 326796

Peep this! Shoot off a root! I left it since the ants weren't privy to it yet!
View attachment 326797

View attachment 326798

View attachment 326799

So now I lost tons of time. For one damn late water.

This is the kind of stuff we miss so often, and blame summer repotting!

Sorce

Nice elm Sorce man!

this happens dude, bonsai is not a race...

who knows, you maybe score ramification on it because of the defoil...

what season is it for you atm?
late summer?

Best regards
Herman

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
late summer?

Yeah. Just about this time where the last of any growth is beginning.
I had to look at the date! I though it was like the 12th! Haha! I haven't known what day it is for a while!

I tend to get natural growth till about the first week of October, late pruned stuff like this will grow till the end of October. That is the danger zone!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has greened up in the buds since this pic a couple days ago.

20200912_164739.jpg

It is ONLY going to give me growth from the last couple buds on each branch. It seems to have abandoned or is keeping inner buds dormant for now.

I regret nekkiding it so late, but it's going to live.

Summer Repot and all.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Partial Outer Canopy Defoliation for that Swole Hedger from Tennessee came on May 27th last year, did it around May 7th this year. Nice.

Fitting to cut it on the 15th.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No comprende partial defoliation. ¿Que pasa?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The progression on this is great! It's really starting to look like an old ass tree! Very nice!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I used to drive through Berwyn IL everyday... wish I had been into bonsai back then to come meet this fella!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No comprende partial defoliation. ¿Que pasa?

Just a couple key larger leaves removed.

20210510_163233.jpg

I was in the garage and the pic didn't load before.

I do it to kinda wake up the interior and let em know they're about to have to go to work.

Sorce

Top Bottom