Unknown tree with huge trunk.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,

I was walking around a local nursery here and saw this guy tucked in the corner with no price and no name. Has a pretty nice size trunk and some movement so I went for it. It was only 20 bucks so I figured what the hell. The lady said it had been taken out of the ground last year and is back bugging all over the place.

If anyone knows what this might be and the suitability for becoming a larger size bonsai I would appreciate it. I am wanting to chop this way down but not sure if I should do this now or not.

Attachments

• 0813021450_0001.jpg
    0813021450_0001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 0813021451_0001.jpg
    0813021451_0001.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 0813021452_0001.jpg
    0813021452_0001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 205

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Gardenia? Camellia? What kind of nursery doesn't know what they're selling?

Need better pics.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Was digging around in the soil and found a tag "Quillaja saponaria" looked on google and sure enough thats what it is.

Still not sure if its suitable for bonsai or not if anyone does know that would be great. If not if anyone knows why would be great too :)

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like it is a good bonsai candidate. I won't mind experimenting with it myself. Looks like a good buy to me. Good luck with it.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This might be the most interesting species I've seen on this forum. Interesting, and looks like you got a nice sized trunk to start with. Also, there's this bit on wikipedia...

"The inner bark of Quillaja saponaria can be reduced to powder and employed as a substitute for soap, since it forms a lather with water, owing "

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
"The inner bark of Quillaja saponaria can be reduced to powder and employed as a substitute for soap, since it forms a lather with water, owing "

Awesome, so if I ever run outta soap I know where to go. Thanks for the comments.

I am hoping I can get this thing down to size and in training here pretty soon. It has back budded super low on the trunk about 20 shoots coming out about 3 inches above the soil. The leaves are pretty small and would be perfect for a decent size bonsai. I wonder why it has never been used.

I will do a virt a little later.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Defect, Bring your tree to our meeting Sat.(18) Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai. We're having a BBQ & Sale ( bonsai related) so come an join us. Pete

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Defect, Bring your tree to our meeting Sat.(18) Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai. We're having a BBQ & Sale ( bonsai related) so come an join us. Pete

I will be there Pete. Didn't know what was going on for that day with the bbq and such.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Here is the virt I did and a better look at the trunk if anyone wants to give it a go. Didn't but any leaves on because it just gets to messy. Moved it 12 degrees counter clockwise as well.

Thanks for looking,

Aaron

Edit : Just for a size reference that is a 15 gallon pot it is in.

Attachments

• SoapBark.jpg
    SoapBark.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 140
  • SoapBarkvirt1.jpg
    SoapBarkvirt1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Alan S

Seed
Reaction score
I have just signed up with Bonsai Nut. I live in Canberra Australia 2,000 feet above sea level and inland from the East Coast. Hot summers and cold winters. Currently May nights down to 1 deg C, and days 17 deg C. Although the above threads of this forum about Quillaja Saponaria are nearly 4 years old, I am hoping I might glean some information from members. In early 2014 I obtained a Quillaja Saponaria that was propogated sometime prior to 2010 (actual date unknown). The attached picture was taken December 2014. The second picture is May 2016 (today). I have been letting it grow in the 12 inch "orchid pot". To date it has not flowered. It is quite rare in Australian. Any pictures or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Alan

Attachments

• Quillaja Saponaria in Dec 2014.jpg
    Quillaja Saponaria in Dec 2014.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Quillaja Saponaria in May 2016.jpg
    Quillaja Saponaria in May 2016.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 98

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Grow out fest!

Nice tree!

We got some Aussies here....

Welcome to Crazy Mate!

Sorce

P. S. If you don't get many replies....
Start a new thread with the tree species in the title.

Alan S

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Will monitor the thread.

Top Bottom