Vietnam bonsai

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, you should take a look on this site: www.flowerpictures.net/bonsai . There are a lot of beautiful ficus and other tropical bonsai as well as some of miniature landscape. I will visit this beautiful country next year. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe! Thanks for the link! I just spent 2 days looking at it! Those are some spectacular bonsai! Let me know when you are going there. Maybe you can order me some large bonsai pots! The pots are spectacular there too.
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm planning to go there around Vietnamese New Year. I believe the pots there will be very cheap. I'll let you know. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
thanks Bonhe

Thanks for the reply, finally got admitted to the forum.

I was visiting in Hue last Tet and their club(s) had a beautiful display/sale display across the river in the big park near the Citidel. We were there as they were setting up so were free to roam and really check out the personal trees on display. I've done a lot of snooping in the Hanoi area but never seen any good quality pots for sale. Just the same stuff I can buy here in Tuy Hoa a lot cheaper.

I work with bigger trees so that creates another problem. Of course it's also harder to steal something that weighs almost 500 pounds too ha ha.

Bob

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. Are you living in Tuy Hoa? Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Tuy Hoa

Yes, or 'Mayberry' as we few expats call it. One of those very quiet smaller cities in Nam, I'm 300 M from the beach and about 30 minutes from the mountains, there are no less than 14 Bonsai nurseries within about 4 km. Mostly pretty rough material but very cheap. I've been here for 2 years now, teaching English part time and just enjoying the beautiful scenery in Phu Yen province.

Bob

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, why is it called Mayberry? I' ve never been to Tuy Hoa. Its closest place is Nha Trang which I visited in 1997. I will come back there in Tet 2010. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mayberry

One of the guys started to refer to it as 'Mayberry', the mythalogical town on the Andy Griffith show or the other Mayberry RFD later. Very quiet...nothing happens...very laid back and relaxed.

Bob

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Bob. Looks like you're living in a very nice place.
Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
One old...one new

This Fukien tea has been under development for almost a year, the pot is just a cheap one for now, still looking for a good one. It buds back heavily and pushes about 5" of new growth a week. Everything is about finished as far as branch placement, just working on developing the foliage pads.

My goal is to try and be the first westerner 'white guy' to have a tree in the Tet Display here. I have 2 which I am working towards with that. This FT is 37" tall with a buttress almost 14" across. The other is a Water Jasmine which i've only been working for about 2 weeks now.

Fukien Tea 600,000 VND
WJ 1M VND
Spending time working with them...Priceless

For everything else there's...watching a Vietnamese schoolgirl riding by in a pure white Aou Dai

Bob

After half an hour it won't let me upload the pics..GRRRRRRRRR!!!! sorry

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Fukien tea has been under development for almost a year, the pot is just a cheap one for now, still looking for a good one. It buds back heavily and pushes about 5" of new growth a week. Everything is about finished as far as branch placement, just working on developing the foliage pads.

My goal is to try and be the first westerner 'white guy' to have a tree in the Tet Display here. I have 2 which I am working towards with that. This FT is 37" tall with a buttress almost 14" across. The other is a Water Jasmine which i've only been working for about 2 weeks now.

Fukien Tea 600,000 VND
WJ 1M VND
Spending time working with them...Priceless

For everything else there's...watching a Vietnamese schoolgirl riding by in a pure white Aou Dai

Bob

After half an hour it won't let me upload the pics..GRRRRRRRRR!!!! sorry

Hi Bob, I can't believe that VN bonsai is so cheap. That FT is about $37! That's why you're trying to export them to the Sates, right?
It should spell out as Áo dài. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
bonhe

Hey...my speaking is getting better dammit!!! I don't always spell right :cool: when I was trying to post that there were a crowd of them riding by my house chattering away. You try con--sent--tra--ting on typing while that's going on!!!

I would love to be able to export to the US, yes you were right on the price my man. If you want to hit me with your email addy I'll invite you you to my Facebook, you can see what I am working on so far and watch its progress.

Bob

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
others

For some reason I can only upload one pic for each post.

Attachments

• bonsai2 037.jpg
    bonsai2 037.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 58

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, it's really good that your second language is getting better.
I love to visit your Facebook.
This tree has a lot of potential, Bob.
Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Check out this picture from a monastery in Vietnam. They have really tiny people there.

Attachments

• tiny midgets on bonsai.jpg
    tiny midgets on bonsai.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 77

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, where is the monastery? It looks like it is in Hue. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, I have no idea! I stole this picture from some websites so long ago that I forgot where I got it from. I apologize to the owner of the photo now.:eek:
Anyway, I think it is in Hue. The trees are too big there. The pots are fantastic though. Try to get some pots whenever you are there.
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, if I go to Hanoi, I'll look for Bat Trang pot. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
potting and such in 'Nam

Went back over today to see how the pot and stand for the big Jasmine were coming. They are laying up a cement pot and stand for it, gray base with darker small limestone cast into the mix then they grind everything smooth...I figuerd it would be about finished...the head guy lost the information so thay hadn't even started it.

No problem, the tree is at least 3 weeks before it needs a pot. :cool:

Get this tho; hand laid pot-5.5 feet X 3.5 feet X 5" deep--stand for same hand laid and polished, the color will match.

1M VND equals $60 USD...'dats the price...probably have to pay 70.000 VND to have it delivered. I did have a moment of thinking that I should try to bargin for a better price...but...a pot so big it's got re-bar in it, will have its own pond, naaaaa. I would hate to even price something this size in the US...choi oi!! :eek:

Bob

:mad:I also took a few pics while I was there, it may take a while to post.

Top Bottom