Watering system

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey All,

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I thought the previous posts were quite helpful so wanted to share my system I just set up using mostly Dig/Mister-Landscaper components.

SOAKER HOSE CONFIGURATION:
Using the 1/4" soaker hose and going with a "grid pattern" rather than the "ring" around the trunk you usually see, I've managed to get good soil coverage. This method also has the added benefit of not requiring you to break a 1/4" connection to remove the soakers or move the tree - you simply slide the open grid pattern off the soil. You can see the old soaker hose in the picture is still curves, but I will be working to flatten it more so it is flat on the soil - 1/4" stakes will help with this.

OVERHEAD WATERING/MISTING:
Misters are set up in-between the soaker hose junctions at intervals, for foliage wetting in the summer and redundancy for the soakers/soil.

SUPPLY HOSES:
The 1/2" supply hoses are run under the gravel to the junctions under the benches, then up to the bench height and across the length, hidden between the two center 2x4s.

DRIPPERS:
My first attempt using drippers can be see in the second last picture. It works well for my trees still in organic soil.

TIP:
Run a permanent test line on ground level by teeing off of your main supply. Split it into two lines with another tee. Use two 1/4" inline valves for each split. Use these to test run any different types of irrigation component you may want to try out, before plumbing into the main system. This will prevent moving trees around and potentially damaging something in the main system, which takes much longer to set up. Shown in the last picture.

I'll be refining/expanding this system over the next week or so, and will update if I discover any significant opportunities for improvement. So far so good!

Attachments

• 20200314_170651.jpg
    20200314_170651.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200314_170727.jpg
    20200314_170727.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20200314_171022.jpg
    20200314_171022.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20200314_171114.jpg
    20200314_171114.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200314_171134.jpg
    20200314_171134.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200314_172501.jpg
    20200314_172501.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20200314_170741.jpg
    20200314_170741.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200314_174340.jpg
    20200314_174340.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 130

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Just wanted to share this:

QUICK CONNECTS:
I bought some quick connects for the "ring" type soaker hose configurations where it isn't possible to just slip off the soil like the "grid" configuration mentioned earlier. These allow you to easily disconnect/reconnect the 1/4 lines if ever necessary.

These things are great. I ran them on my test manifold with a plug on the end and zero leaks under full 80psi city water pressure. Just be sure to make a straight cut and push the hose all the way into them.

$8 for a pack of 10:

RESULTS SINCE LAST POST:
So far the irrigation system I've described has been working great and I would recommend to anybody trying to set up something on a bench for a more "selective" watering rather than a blanket system such as sprayers. Inorganic soil has been getting full saturation and the misters are just gravy. At this time of year I am using it every 2-3 days in between fertilizing waterings.

I WAS originally setting it up with a timer to go on vacation, but thanks to COVID-19, it's just a time saver. This pretty much sums it up:

20200329_153959.jpg20200329_154019.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
!!! I fled that area to escape the winters there !!! I’m just looking for my Goldilocks zone.

S
FL is a lot like Houston, not quite as hot but just as muggy. Maybe north Florida panhandle/ Jacksonville might suit! Lol

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’d like a resurrection again to see what anyone has upgraded to. Specific mister heads or soaker tubes? I don’t plan on building it tomorrow but I’m planning it already.Leaning towards a micro jet system.

Any specific problems I can avoid ahead of time?

Any must haves In a system?

I’m thinking of adding fertilizer injection during the growing season, good, bad, or indifferent?

Is there a good online source that actually describes spray patterns? The ones at Home Depot and Lowe’s spray up as well as down at the ground. For cooling I’ll setup misters although with my humidity a fan would Probably do just fine to circulate air and cool things down

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was actually re-installing my heads today, and ordered another set (making another zone), and saw this handy diagram on the site I get mine from. I actually use the sprinkler heads instead of the misters. They put a lot of water down, spread well, and the wind factor isn't as bad as it would be with misters. Here is a link to that. I do the whole pvc route, and just remove the heads in the winter.
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/mist-byo.shtml#cover
Can you use CLR on those heads at the end of the year to clean them? I have avoided getting a system cause I know all my heads will be partially clogged by the end of each year.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is my watering system:
It is very effective, but it’s not ideal to water every tree exactly the same when its clear they shouldn’t be. When I’m home, I try to shut it off and hand water so the pines and junipers don’t stay too wet, and the maples and quinces don’t dry out. If you can set up multiple zones and water times it would be best.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you use CLR on those heads at the end of the year to clean them? I have avoided getting a system cause I know all my heads will be partially clogged by the end of each year.
I would not clean them with anything that I'd be worried about getting on the plants. How do you clean off the cleaner chemical? Anyway the new heads are cheap enough to replace in the spring. I do take them off before winter so the system completely drains.
It is very effective, but it’s not ideal to water every tree exactly the same when its clear they shouldn’t be. When I’m home, I try to shut it off and hand water so the pines and junipers don’t stay too wet, and the maples and quinces don’t dry out. If you can set up multiple zones and water times it would be best.
I have multiple zones, but even so, when I'm home I do the same as much as possible, and hand water.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
3 controllers, 6 zones per controller.
918AADFA-01A5-472B-8B92-A7CDAD98BC1D.jpeg

B589C35B-C3A1-4DB8-BA65-D2C69A245EC8.png

C75EC176-5E88-4428-9F18-EBB5C3AF9AC2.png

740A2370-98C2-4F3B-B6BC-E69D9FE53D13.jpeg

These are the best nozzles I’ve found so far, still looking for something with a finer spray but these will do the trick.

The app (hydro-wise) allows me to water from anywhere in the world and my security cameras allow me to watch for ease of mind. Completely customizable.

Also, the boxes above the controllers are the moisture sensor receivers (3). I use one for each of my bonsai zones and placed in the pot that dries the fastest.

I never use the system when I’m home, nothing is better than watering by hand.

Last edited:

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 323289

The app (hydro-wise) allows me to water from anywhere in the world and my security cameras allow me to watch for ease of mind. Completely customizable.
In warm weather and full sun, isn't the water in the pipes too hot for the plant?
It takes a while before your fresh water arrives at the plant.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
In warm weather and full sun, isn't the water in the pipes too hot for the plant?
It takes a while before your fresh water arrives at the plant.

The lines are not under pressure until the system turns on so the water is a little warm but only for about 10 seconds and not nearly as hot as a hose that’s sitting full of water.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The lines are not under pressure until the system turns on so the water is a little warm but only for about 10 seconds and not nearly as hot as a hose that’s sitting full of water.
So if the system shuts down again, all the lines will be empty?

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
View attachment 323282

View attachment 323283

View attachment 323285

View attachment 323289

These are the best nozzles I’ve found so far, still looking for something with a finer spray but these will do the trick.

Also, the boxes above the controllers are the moisture sensor receivers (3). I use one for each of my bonsai zones and placed in the pot that dries the fastest.

I never use the system when I’m home, nothing is better than watering by hand.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are you actually using 18 valves and how many programs per controller? Also who is the manufacturer of the nozzles you are using? Thanks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So if the system shuts down again, all the lines will be empty?
Mine are not empty after use. I am not concerned as the nozzles create a fine spray which cools down immediately due to transpiration.

For EU:
I am using the spray and mist nozzles of this system: https://www.gardena.com/int/products/watering/micro-drip/

The misters and sprayers are deployed at the same time. The sprayers cover larger areas. The misters are close to a packed bench.

Main downside is that the water density is not uniform, and I need to move trees around to ensure each tree gets enough water. Needless to say, I use this only when I am away. (Also due to scale buildup on the leaves).

I am thinking of micro-drips but my substrate is not set up for it: Too coarse and the bulk of the pot would stay dry. Not sure I am willing to add more fibred-organics in the mix.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Additionally I agree that the issue of high temperature of the water at initiation is not usually a problem because normally the watering schedule is to irrigate in the very early hours when temperatures are low. Also if one uses flush valves, the water in the system will be drained after each cycle and will prevent excessive solids from forming on the sprayer heads and emitters.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
because normally the watering schedule is to irrigate in the very early hours when temperatures are low.
I actually use mine to water midday in periods of heat, to bring a bit of relieve & increased moisture, especially if I cannot be home at the hottest parts of the day.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have an overhead sprinkler system on an automatic timer for when I can't do mine by hand, and for when we are on vacation. I use the first kind on the link page.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/garden.shtml

I have more than one zone, so I can water some more than others, but it means more than one timer, or dual timers. I use Claber timers. If you want more info, let me know. I like my system, I'm sure that I'd never be able to live without it now.
Hi in regards to this system I checked the page and found it a little confusing and was wondering if you could fill me in a little more about your particular setup? I am relatively new to bonsai but was hoping to get a system to water if I take weekends away with my wife here and there or something of that sort to assure the survival of my trees.

Top Bottom