Wazakura Bonsai Tools

ralfish

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting post. I had found Wazakura a couple years ago and bought a pair of their ashinaga scissors. I'm going to save you the time reading: I love these things. Im in Canada and often i might as well be on the moon as far as buying stuff on-line and shipping goes. I did originally check out their website too but found them on amazon too which also included shipping. So I was quite happy about that. The nice thing about these tools is you can find out what the steel is and look it up, if you're into deep dive nerd out, unlike some other companies where its a big mystery. Now I dont have much of a budget for things these days so i tend to make due with whatever. But there comes a time where you really want to use the proper tool. So I really dont have anything to compare to other than a bunch of low end stuff and "mid" range tian tools. I really like these scissors and use them a lot. I like them so much that I decided to buy another set about a year ago (a year after the first set). In the mean time wazakura added makers of their hanafabuki ashinaga scissors which also included a change in material. The new ones are made of Yasugi steel. You can look that up, and see that its great steel for scissors. The fit and finish of these new ones is even nicer than the original hanafabuki ones I have. I'm saving these ones. So the original hanafabuki pair seem to still be available but they're about $10 more now than what I had paid and the same price as the newer yasugi steel ones. You can tell them apart by the rosette washer under the rivet. They are made from S58C Black Carbon Steel which is also a nice steel. I'm trying to make an excuse to buy another set of scissors maybe the azalea ones. I would have to start growing azaleas then hah...I'll make a point of ordering through this link too. But for whatever my opinion is worth, these ashinaga scissors, especially the yasugi steel ones are really nice tools and I wish they were around when I was tooling up some years ago. Plus the packaging the tools come in is first class. Shipping to Canada is included and good quality tools at a very reasonable, if not really cheap price.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just one small issue with the new branch cutters. The stop on mine is a bit too far back so when I cut hard the cutting edges slip past each other and jam together. Have to use both hands to open them again for the next cut.
Other than that small inconvenience they do cut.
I haven't used the scissors much yet but they appear to be great.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick update - I am about to write a review on some carving tools I have just received. However I wanted to let people know right now about a new promotion they are running:

From now until February 22, they are offering a special promo that if you order place an order of $100 or more you get a free 300g spool of wire. If you use the links on this site to support Bonsai Nut, they will add a SECOND spool of wire for free! (You just need to tell them via email or message in the chat box what size you want the wire to be).

Also - through February 5th they are offering a Chinese Lunar New Year special for 10% off their Banko Small bonsai pots series, Ikebana Clear Kenzan, and Floral Wire, so you can buy a pot or two to help you get to your $100 order.

Additionally, they wanted to let everyone know that all shipping to the UK is now FREE! So free shipping for USA, Canada and UK!

Last edited:

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quick update - I am about to write a review on some carving tools I have just received. However I wanted to let people know right now about a new promotion they are running:

From now until February 22, they are offering a special promo that if you order place an order of $100 or more you get a free 300g spool of wire. If you use the links on this site to support Bonsai Nut, they will add a SECOND spool of wire for free! (You just need to tell them via email or message in the chat box what size you want the wire to be).

Also - through February 22 they are offering a Chinese Lunar New Year special for 10% off their bonsai pots and Ikebana vases, so you can buy a pot or two to help you get to your $100 order.

Additionally, they wanted to let everyone know that all shipping to the UK is now FREE! So free shipping for USA, Canada and UK!
Just wondering if you have any insider information on if they plan on releasing a narrow concave cutter any time soon? I have been putting off purchasing the Kaneshin narrow cutter for a couple of years now.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just wondering if you have any insider information on if they plan on releasing a narrow concave cutter any time soon? I have been putting off purchasing the Kaneshin narrow cutter for a couple of years now.
I forwarded your question to them. I'll let you know what they say!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Also - through February 22 they are offering a Chinese Lunar New Year special for 10% off their bonsai pots and Ikebana vases, so you can buy a pot or two to help you get to your $100 order.

That's what I get for placing an order two hours before you posted this! 🤪

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To clarify, the 10% off offer until February 5th is for their Banko Small bonsai pots series, Ikebana Clear Kenzan, and Floral Wire. I edited the above post to make sure I corrected what I had written earlier.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Also - through February 5th they are offering a Chinese Lunar New Year special for 10% off their Banko Small bonsai pots series, Ikebana Clear Kenzan, and Floral Wire, so you can buy a pot or two to help you get to your $100 order.

Thanks for the heads up about the special promotion! My order is in (and used link through this website). I got the knob cutters and the rounded pull gouge for jin and shari work 😁

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got these recently and was wondering if the link to Wazakura in this thread still helps support this website? I've used the link to get these pliers and wire cutters and because of past purchases they sent me the wire for free. $24.99 value according to them. :) Raphia is from stone lantern site.

PXL_20230206_194829957.jpg

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm a big fan of their scissors

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I got the pliers and ikebana sheers.
Great look and quality. My new brand!
It would be nice if they had a larger root cutter… unless l missed it.

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have been using this brand of tools for a few years now. They are excellent quality tools for the price point they sit at. Customer service is top notch. I had a pair of cutters chip while working on a limb that was just a bit to big. They were kind enough to replace them free of charge and shipping. The carving tools ae also very well crafted, just received a few this year for xmas.

Top Bottom