Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the long and detailed post. It's super of you to take the time to outline your program.
Is this the only fertilizer program you use now?

what is a surfactant? how does it prevent perched water?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A surfactant breaks water tension. In shallow pots there is not enough verticle height to allow all the water to flow from a pot. The surfactant also allows wetting of hard to wet mediums especially if you have wood or moss or peat in your mix.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have looked at this company's website, looks like they don't sell online. Anyone have a online dealer?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have looked at this company's website, looks like they don't sell online. Anyone have a online dealer?
If you mean Gro Power, they will ship to you. Just give them a phone call. I bought a case of the tablets and they shipped them ups. Not as cheap as Smoke can get them, but I do like them used in tea bags. I just bought 300 tea bags on ebay for $12 with free shipping.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Judy- everyday dishsoap makes a good surfactant. You can choose a mild one if you're worried about chemical damage to the roots. I'm not sure what is used in Al's stuff probably something like borax that would last a little longer.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
If you mean Gro Power, they will ship to you. Just give them a phone call. I bought a case of the tablets and they shipped them ups. Not as cheap as Smoke can get them, but I do like them used in tea bags. I just bought 300 tea bags on ebay for $12 with free shipping.

Where on ebay. I just looked and all I got was tea

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy- everyday dishsoap makes a good surfactant. You can choose a mild one if you're worried about chemical damage to the roots. I'm not sure what is used in Al's stuff probably something like borax that would last a little longer.

Don't use soap in your soil it will clog up and really make a mess.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alkyl naphthalene sodium sulfonate.

Used in many agricultural applications thoughout California. Soil penetrants as sulfactants have been used here for over 50 years due to the density of the soil in the San Joaquin Valley.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pruned back this large trident. Top has pretty good new leader. Had to use the arbortech to take back some wood. Hollowed out some scars and dressed them then sealed them.

Have a couple more branches to remove and some wire to add later this week. Still looking for a good view on this tree. Not really happy with some of the views and am still contemplating if this tree needs to be chopped back into a shorter tree with a new top.

Will not waste another year though so decision will be made by fall.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_00030003.JPG
    DSC_00030003.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_00040004.JPG
    DSC_00040004.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_00080008.JPG
    DSC_00080008.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arbortech, great tool. Still like a die grinder with a core box router.

Attachments

• DSC_00120012.JPG
    DSC_00120012.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 149

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Might as well give my opinion too!
I'd go for a more rapid taper above the red arrow. I think that's the point it loses taper. So I'd chop just above the red arrow and taper it down more rapidly from there.
Ian
smoke taper.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Agreed with the above, I think it may need to be shortened. Still a nice piece of material. Dont you want it shorter, Al?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not bothered by the height as much as I'm bothered by the knob on the right at the top of the tree. Hence, I'd shorten it but only what looks like 1-2". Nobody really cares what I'd do, so I'll ask the question that really drew me in enough to bother posting anyway. Why was this chop left so flat? I anticipate that there's a good reason. Just wondering though.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think these are your two best options. Sorry for the poor virts. ;)

Make sure to cut on an angle.

Attachments

• DSC_00040004.JPG
    DSC_00040004.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 133
  • virt2.jpg
    virt2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom