Whats going on in the Bananas Backyard

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you get big callus and no roots, then there is a bridge somewhere. You have to look hard and feel, sometimes the bridge will feel slimy. Whats really weird is that the bridge needs only to be the width of a toothpick and it will keep the top from issuing roots.

Wait, time-out. Is that always the case or can it just fail if you have a species that roots crappy?

This is what I got when I tried to air-layer a grafted tamukeyama:

20180717_175629.jpg

I didn't notice a bridge anywhere, though. I haven't thrown it away yet so I can double check tomorrow.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I dont use alcohol not do I wait until it dries out.
I scrape the shit out of them.
Yea, I have a roll of 180 grit Emory cloth that I cut a length short enough it fits easily into the ring and run it around about four or five times. Just becareful not to touch the upper cut or you will have to recut it. The only tree I haven’t done this to, a trident, isn't pushing roots.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Yea, I have a roll of 180 grit Emory cloth that I cut a length short enough it fits easily into the ring and run it around about four or five times. Just becareful not to touch the upper cut or you will have to recut it. The only tree I haven’t done this to, a trident, isn't pushing roots.
Why would you need to recut it? The roots don’t come from there and only the callus forms there?????

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Why would you need to recut it? The roots don’t come from there and only the callus forms there?????

Where do the roots come from?

I have found if the top cut is rough, it can turn black and rotten looking and no roots, or sometimes no callus will form if it the bark has been hit too hard.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cool, looks bumpy yeah! Maybe only do this on species with proper heavy barking then. Thanks for the pics mate! How is the wood at the nebari? It is all soft and shit? Or nice and hard? Lol
It’s probably not as hard as the trunk, but it’s not soft either. With time it may smooth out as the bark matures, too. All things to consider if trying this.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like three bridges in that pic to me.

Really? Well shit. I checked it again today and it looks good and brown but I suppose it was damage done...

20180804_150323.jpg20180804_150329.jpg20180804_150339.jpg

Ok, so how do I keep that from happening? I did the girdle and scraped the wood with my knife. Apparently not good enough. I've heard people say to leave it open to air for a day and other say to use alcohol but none of the professionals I've talked to have mentioned either...

Is there any saving it or is it a goner now?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Where do the roots come from?

I have found if the top cut is rough, it can turn black and rotten looking and no roots, or sometimes no callus will form if it the bark has been hit too hard.
The roots come out of the bark above the cut.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@amcoffeegirl

This is my only ficus. A willow leaf. It goes in my garden window in the kitchen in winter. Sorry, the leaves have calcium on them and there is some moss on the left side of the base obscuring the view.

View attachment 204327
I've been watching that one for awhile now.
Not in real life of course. I've seen you share it here a couple times. It reminds me of the same way that you build your chunky maples.
If you ever defoliate it let me see.
It's a nice specimen for sure. Thanks for sharing.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice colors going on. Wish I could share some pictures of my bench, unfortunately it’s tree-less they are all tucked away for winter. But thanks for sharing yours,

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice! Very nice!
What is the tree in the big pot in front of the bench?
Could we have a closer photo, please?

Top Bottom