What's the deal with Joshua Roth?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started with hose and a wand. But because I need to (liquid) fertilize...I needed a watering can. Bought a 2 gallon Haws slimcan and love it but re-filling it several times became old fast when watering 150 or so plants. I found a siphon (hozon) attachment to my hose and fertilize that way now. My slimcan haven't seen action in a year or so since.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Plants NEED a certain amount of copper. I can tell you from experience though that to much will definitely kill or injury your specimen. On potted fruit trees I use Copper Sulfate for fungus control and found that if I cover the soil before spraying I can avoid loss or injury. Either way I know they need some copper by nature but to much is harmful.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I go with a hose also. It's very relaxing just standing there waving my hose around. Also saves on walking back and forth to fill the can. Especially if you have a few trees to be watered.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Plants NEED a certain amount of copper. I can tell you from experience though that to much will definitely kill or injury your specimen. On potted fruit trees I use Copper Sulfate for fungus control and found that if I cover the soil before spraying I can avoid loss or injury. Either way I know they need some copper by nature but to much is harmful.

Grimmy

All plants and animals need trace elements to be healthy. However too much is usually much worse than too little. Using a natural fertilizer like fish emulsion or manure should cover almost all trace element needs for your plants.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What gauge do you use? I think the cheap 17 gauge should be OK, right?

Last I checked, there was only 1 size/gauge available. 17 gauge (approx 1.37 mm) sounds right. I will double check what I got and advise later. I am sure any size they use for fence will be strong enough though. :)

I also use that now for my guy wires...really surprisingly strong (if you've seen the branch sizes I bend, you will agree). :cool:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I started with hose and a wand. But because I need to (liquid) fertilize...I needed a watering can. Bought a 2 gallon Haws slimcan and love it but re-filling it several times became old fast when watering 150 or so plants. I found a siphon (hozon) attachment to my hose and fertilize that way now. My slimcan haven't seen action in a year or so since.

Imagine the two of us agreeing twice in the same day but you are absolutely correct a syphon is the way to go as to fertilizer. Of course you are going to get some criticism about the pros and cons of using chemical fertilizers a subject for another post I hope.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use my rain barrel to catch water and just got this Haws plastic watering can.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-V115-..._sbs_lg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TSK8BA1CGDMVCM4FAVY

I probably have 35 trees in pots so it isnt that big of a job to lug this can with 8+ lbs of water 25 feet. I talk myself into believing it is just more exercise. Hell I still use a walk-behind mower on my 1+ acre yard. Not so bad until our lovely summer heat and humidity gets unbearable.
(That's an ironic thing: Record cold here today during the endless winter, and I'm already complaining about the coming heat...bitch bitch bitch)

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Plants NEED a certain amount of copper. I can tell you from experience though that to much will definitely kill or injury your specimen.

Copper is to plants as beer is to me, haha.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Copper is to plants as beer is to me, haha.

I have fond memories of Cornell and the Ithaca Brewery. Have not been there in years but still drink beers :p

Grimmy

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm probably one of the cheapest guys when it comes to watering my trees. I just drill holes into a few water jugs with my dremel and presto! lol I do have an old steel watering can, but there's nothing wrong with making use of things most people will throw away.:D

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tie in aspect of this thread

I only have one thing to add here,
aluminum is poisonous to all members
of the rhododendron family. Read that
as don't use it around the roots of
azaleas. Just an FYI.
a.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What syphon filter/liquid fertilizer combos are you all using?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only have one thing to add here,
aluminum is poisonous to all members
of the rhododendron family. Read that
as don't use it around the roots of
azaleas. Just an FYI.
a.
Thanks!

Is it true also for wiring branches?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Does anyone use any type of iron wire for wiring trees into pots?? I feel like somebody recommended something along those lines to me before. But if it starts to rust, it will just be feeding your tree with whatever iron it needs, like John Naka used to put iron nails in the bottom of his pots when he was repotting for that purpose. Then by the time it rusts away, if it does, the root system should be plenty established to keep the tree in place...

Top Bottom