Where do you like to order pots from?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I kept hearing how Bonsai as a hobby was supposed to be calming and relaxing. After a couple weeks of browsing this forum, I'm not so sure I believe it anymore.
For me, staring at beautiful finished trees is calming and relaxing. Staring at all my trees, wondering what do do with them and wishing they would grow at about ten times their normal rate is not calming and relaxing. Staring at dozens of pre-bonsai trees online that I want to buy is also not relaxing either. I think someone lied to you about this hobby, LOL!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The answers to your questions are MANY ..and varied.. I will TRY to help. 🤓

Finished -bonsai pots are typically made of ceramic, stone(Cement) or glass.

There are many companies that import shallow, wide ceramic containers which are visually pleasing.

Many people like shopping by Potter/ceramic artist... There are a few excellent potters here that sell their wares...
@sorce @penumbra @Pitoon @ABCarve @Soldano666 Robert Hunter (not sure his screen name) and many others all sell pots here... check the “pots” and “other selling” sections of the forum..

Also.. there’s a haiku contest to win a FREE pot.

Glazed vs. unglazed?... It’s your buffalo.. dress it how you want.
Horseloverfat. When I click on the names of the potters whose user names you posted I'm not able to see their work. How can I find it...I Googled Robert Taylor and as I said...Amazing but I'd love to see the others work too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
For me, staring at beautiful finished trees is calming and relaxing. Staring at all my trees, wondering what do do with them and wishing they would grow at about ten times their normal rate is not calming and relaxing. Staring at dozens of pre-bonsai trees online that I want to buy is also not relaxing either. I think someone lied to you about this hobby, LOL!
I have this neighbor a couple doors down that I don't really like. No feud or anything, he is just very stand offish when he walks by my house and I try to greet him. Last night I was walking by his house and I noticed for the first time that the two giant trees in his yard are some type of small leaf maple. They're like 40-50ft tall. Now I'm considering trying to befriend him so I can ask if I can air layer some branches off of his trees. Or at the very least offer him $100 to do it. Probably the only hobby where you find yourself scoping out strangers yards and knocking on doors to see if they want that overgrown and uncared for shrub/tree gone "Free of charge, but only in late winter..."

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This all depends on what you're looking for--There are bonsai pots and Bonsai Pots...How much do you want to spend $35--$50, $1,500, $2,000?

Here is a link to the higher end of things--all great potters listed. Ron Lang, one of the best in the U.S. retired last month.

Sara Rayner is a legend in U.S. bonsai circles. Her work is outstanding and proportional and comparatively not hugely expensive. She does custom work too

If you like very good Japanese pots with some age and character there is Matt Ouwinga--one of, if not the, top importer of great to awesome Japanese pots. Some of his pots are extreme high end--like $5,000 and up. There are, however, many excellent pots on his webpages that are extremely affordable.

There are a number of online sellers of plain-old production Japanese and Chinese pots too. The best Chinese pots are Yixing or zisha

You can also try Etsy with a "bonsai pot" search. There are some there that are pretty good.

You can also search for bonsai potters in the U.K. and Europe. There are some excellent potters over there as well.

And FWIW, too bad you're down on FB. Some of the best potters have pages where you can see what they've got coming in, special notices, etc. Some of the best value in bonsai stuff is through auctions there...Just sayin...You're missing out.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Horseloverfat. When I click on the names of the potters whose user names you posted I'm not able to see their work. How can I find it...I Googled Robert Taylor and as I said...Amazing but I'd love to see the others work too.
Hehe! Sorry! I was just tagging their usernames to call them here! 🤓

I’ll start posting links as I can find them!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lots of Soldano pots here, amongst MANY others.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I kept hearing how Bonsai as a hobby was supposed to be calming and relaxing. After a couple weeks of browsing this forum, I'm not so sure I believe it anymore.

It gives me something all my own to stress about. A stress no one else close to me can share in, and that is special to me.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
That's funny. He may just be a quiet kind of guy or somebody on an antisocial spectrum of some sort. I bet he would welcome your interest in his trees.

My husband needs some massive bamboo stalks to hold up equally massive bougainvillea tree branches. I'm talking bamboo you couldn't get your hand around and the same with the bougainvillea. The bamboo is dead and dried and perfect for the job (we've used it before on another bougainvillea tree) but my husband doesn't want to be seen taking dead bamboo stalks and walking through the neighborhood with them. These people live about four blocks away.

I suggested knocking on the door. No way...He won't but I don't see why. I'll probably end up knocking on their door to ask if we can take some of their dead bamboo.

Go for it. I bet you'll make a friend. I'm guessing he's just a shy kind of guy.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Lots of Soldano pots here, amongst MANY others.

That's the first place I went when I read your original post! Amazing! I wrote it down it what has become a 'bonsai notebook'.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Tiny pots AND healthy plants!!

Stunning pots! I have a degree in Fine Art and took pottery classes in college. It wasn't my medium but it's a fascinating process. His pots are unique. Beautiful form but functional too. Just beautiful. Does he usually have many for sale?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Probably the only hobby where you find yourself scoping out strangers yards and knocking on doors to see if they want that overgrown and uncared for shrub/tree gone "Free of charge, but only in late winter..."
My wife and I planted a couple crape myrtles and an October Glory maple when we bought our first home together back in 2009. There were also some big Chinese Fringe Flower bushes planted by the people we bought the house from that were at least 6-7 feet tall when we sold it in 2015. Last I saw the house a couple years ago, the owners had let those grow to at least 12 feet high. I would LOVE to be able to knock on the door and ask the owner if I could take some air layerings from the trees and just one of the big bushes out front. The trunk on those CFFs would be pretty nice by now, considering they're probably at minimum 15 years old.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi, I'm new here and am wondering what site you like to order your pots from?

Do you prefer glazed or unglazed pots or does it depend on the tree?

I'm needing to order about a half dozen pots and am finding a tremendous amount of variety online so thought I'd ask which your favorite sources are.

In central Florida I paid 28.00 for a cheap Chinese 6' glazed pot! Crazy.

Thanks a bunch! Katie
Oh yeah, I should try to stay on topic instead of derailing 🤣

Finished glazed pots are worth a lot because it's a skilled art people have to learn, and the equipment necessary to fire the clay ain't cheap. The bigger the pot, the more expensive because look up Kilns on Amazon and notice the price jump from 4" to 12" or bigger. The general consensus I've seen is to not worry about a nice pot until a tree is "finished." Which as a traditional ink artist makes sense. You wouldn't put a $20 poster or $50 art print in a $1000 hand carved wooden picture frame. So don't worry about having a super nice pot for a beanpole in training. If you want cheap pots but more attractive than the standard black plastic bonsai trainer pots, you can find some bonsai like mass produced pots at big box stores, or get a diamond tipped hole saw bit and a cordless drill and go thrift store/garage sale shopping for old decorative bowls and pier 1 type mass produced pottery. Or search in Google or Amazon for "shallow succulent pot" as succulents are all the rage right now and Bonsai as a hobby suffers from the same price hike issues as Boats, RV, and Hydroponics...as in you attach those words to any object and the price immediately goes up by x2-x3 the price..i.e. "RV kitchen faucet" or "Hydroponic pump". Or go the diy concrete route...which can be as simple as pouring concrete over a balloon to create a moon shape pot that I see everywhere, and then popping the balloon when it dries.

Example of 2 seconds of googling "shallow succulent pot" and finding a cool looking bonsaiish pot for cheaper than a "hand made and glazed Bonsai pot" ebay listing

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pitoon sells many on the “other selling” forum, as well...

I cannot speak to the amount of his current stock.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Stunning pots! I have a degree in Fine Art and took pottery classes in college. It wasn't my medium but it's a fascinating process. His pots are unique. Beautiful form but functional too. Just beautiful. Does he usually have many for sale?
@Katie0317 thanks for the kind words. My next batch should be ready later this month. Batch #2 will have pots a little bigger than Batch #1

If you want to have a nice read have a look at this thread......

@HorseloverFat thanks for keeping me in mind, much appreciated. 😁

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh yeah, I should try to stay on topic instead of derailing 🤣

Finished glazed pots are worth a lot because it's a skilled art people have to learn, and the equipment necessary to fire the clay ain't cheap. The bigger the pot, the more expensive because look up Kilns on Amazon and notice the price jump from 4" to 12" or bigger. The general consensus I've seen is to not worry about a nice pot until a tree is "finished." Which as a traditional ink artist makes sense. You wouldn't put a $20 poster or $50 art print in a $1000 hand carved wooden picture frame. So don't worry about having a super nice pot for a beanpole in training. If you want cheap pots but more attractive than the standard black plastic bonsai trainer pots, you can find some bonsai like mass produced pots at big box stores, or get a diamond tipped hole saw bit and a cordless drill and go thrift store/garage sale shopping for old decorative bowls and pier 1 type mass produced pottery. Or search in Google or Amazon for "shallow succulent pot" as succulents are all the rage right now and Bonsai as a hobby suffers from the same price hike issues as Boats, RV, and Hydroponics...as in you attach those words to any object and the price immediately goes up by x2-x3 the price..i.e. "RV kitchen faucet" or "Hydroponic pump". Or go the diy concrete route...which can be as simple as pouring concrete over a balloon to create a moon shape pot that I see everywhere, and then popping the balloon when it dries.

Example of 2 seconds of googling "shallow succulent pot" and finding a cool looking bonsaiish pot for cheaper than a "hand made and glazed Bonsai pot" ebay listing
Yes!... so by this logic.. you should start learning clay and how to fire... so that by the time you have attractive trees, you can also hand-fabricate bonsai pots FOR those trees...

That’s the way to go!!

🤣🤣

Top Bottom