Where has every one gone?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Come on Paul, bend the knees or get down on the ground and give us a proper look at the trunk and main branches. How do you expect to get sensible advice from a shot like that? Meaningful advice from the experts here is surely worth just a tiny modicum of effort on your part?:(

It's the collection process in August as opposed to April that I wanted advice on - once it's in a pot like the one below it's much easier to photograph. I tried a dozen times but if you can't see the screen at all because of the glare what can you do lol? I have developed pines several times before but most have been seed grown or nursery trees so it's not the trunk & branch development that concerns me.

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_160826.jpg
    IMG_20190419_160826.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 28

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm... one way of protecting trees is to set them under the bench. Then run opaque landscape plastic around the bench on 3 sides. The plastic acts as a wind break. Usually, the worst of the winds come from one direction. Trees can handle freeze/thaw cycles. All the wild trees do. Main thing is to keep them watered.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmmm... one way of protecting trees is to set them under the bench. Then run opaque landscape plastic around the bench on 3 sides. The plastic acts as a wind break. Usually, the worst of the winds come from one direction. Trees can handle freeze/thaw cycles. All the wild trees do. Main thing is to keep them watered.
I always thought repeated freeze/thaw cycles were really bad for roots getting destroyed by ice crystals. And a lot of trees in the ground have their feeder roots at a depth where they may not freeze and thaw so many times.

Maybe I just kept them too wet. I'm always very concerned about them getting dry out there, and sometimes it's hard to tell if they're dry or wet. Maybe I need to go back to the old Chopstick in the soil method.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Only a year of lurking thus far, but excited to now understand a few of the methods and approaches discussed here. The rabbit holes on here are incredible - thanks all for sharing your knowledge! Also interesting to compare this to "r/Bonsai" on reddit - I find the knowledge base far superior here and hope to someday contribute something moderately meaningful :) Cheers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always thought repeated freeze/thaw cycles were really bad for roots getting destroyed by ice crystals. And a lot of trees in the ground have their feeder roots at a depth where they may not freeze and thaw so many times.

Maybe I just kept them too wet. I'm always very concerned about them getting dry out there, and sometimes it's hard to tell if they're dry or wet. Maybe I need to go back to the old Chopstick in the soil method.

On the ground, even exposed, like no snow no mulch, is going to keep the temp from swinging too much.

Too wet doesn't exist. Water everyday it's not freezing if you're worried.

IMO...winter ain't killing your trees.
They may be kicking it over winter, but I reckon the other work is killing em.

More fish.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
exposed, like no snow no mulch, is going to keep the temp from swinging too much.
They were all on a low bench, no snow or mulch.....it's possible that 2 of the yews were also over worked in fall.

I had success in the past working yews in September, but nowadays I'm thinking summertime is best.

Gonna take more, better precautions this year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vance Wood
I was feeling bad about losing several trees this past winter today.....so I ordered a small mugo from Brussel's.
It should be here tomorrow.
That will give me an unboxing of a mugo thread to make tomorrow.
I know you like some good old fashioned mugo content.....and I plan to go slow with this one. I think I've over worked them in the past.....loved them to death ya know.
Dang... sorry to hear you lost several trees. We had a harsh winter. I hadn't heard anyone saying this...so thought we all got a lucky pass this spring.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dang... sorry to hear you lost several trees. We had a harsh winter. I hadn't heard anyone saying this...so thought we all got a lucky pass this spring.
I should have buried them.
I thought they'd be ok.
Learned a lesson.
I used to bury them at my old house...never had any issues.
When I kept them in my old garage, they would leaf out early.
That garage had conditioned space above and no windows.
New garage is much colder with 5 windows.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I should have buried them.
I thought they'd be ok.
Learned a lesson.
I used to bury them at my old house...never had any issues.
When I kept them in my old garage, they would leaf out early.
That garage had conditioned space above and no windows.
New garage is much colder with 5 windows.
Dang...sounds like a huge loss...hate hearing it.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just noticed this thread. I guess I'm one of those who stopped being active. Lot's of life stuff happened. Illnesses, businesses, and neck deep in bonsai and collecting. I came back and lurked occasionally, but hadn't posted much.

I'll try and chime in once in a while.

Good bunch of people over here.

Top Bottom