Why Not Take Olive Me . . .

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Trolling a landscape nursery I found this Olive - overgrown and escaping its 15-gallon pot, just the way I like them!
image.jpg image.jpg
I left most of it behind to fit it into the car (I always have a pair of loppers in the back just in case).

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cracking open the nursery can, it looked like there were plenty of roots right near the base of the trunk - why not go for it?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
If I'm going to kill it, it might as well be now, before I get attached!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm not sure what I'll do with it if it bounces back. It's over 3" wide at the base and just about 8" high as chopped. It seems like it might be able to pull off 'sumo-ish' proportions, or I could grow another couple of trunk segments . . . Looking at it now, I want to take some of those lowest stubs back to flush with the trunk, but I should probably just leave it alone for a bit ;)

Which side do you guys like better, and what would you do with it?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I kind of like this side, with the trunk outlined in blue and removing the branch with the red x.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-03-00-42-42-1-1-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-03-00-42-42-1-1-1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 243

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Right off I'd say I like side one but I reserve the right to change my mind as time goes on. Good find!

Redwood posted just before me. I agree with him.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Olives my love,
Olives my love,
I'll give you Olives my loooove.

Kill the short one poking up at the toppish.

Sorce

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm digging the second pic as a front... The knobby-ness is un-attractively attractive ( how about those words lol). I think the movement is better as well.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Do they fruit well where you live? They need certain conditions. Lots of fruit trees need winter chill but olives need something called vernalization. I don't remember exactly how it works, has to do with the relationship of day and night temperatures. So there aren't many places in texas where the produce fruit reliably every year.

I like the bark in old ones but it takes a long time.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do they fruit well where you live? They need certain conditions. Lots of fruit trees need winter chill but olives need something called vernalization. I don't remember exactly how it works, has to do with the relationship of day and night temperatures.
Haha, I live in one of the most ideal climates for olives on earth outside their natural range! I remember a botany class where a professor pointed out that the city of Santa Barbara, CA had to spray 'Olive Stop' (a plant hormone) on all the trees on Olive St. every year to keep the entire neighborhood from becoming a black mess! So, in short, yes, fruiting olives will fruit here.

However, most varieties sold for landscaping are "fruitless" (really should be "lessfruit"), and that's just fine with me . . .

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Did they call and ask why you don't just take olive them?
Sorce
I was in a station wagon the first time, and already had 4 other trees in the car ;). My title was an allusion to the fact that I wanted to buy them all . . .
Today, I have a truck and trailer!

Top Bottom